+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WoW related hand injurys?

WoW related hand injurys?

As Im sitting here currently typing this out, my ring finger on my left hand is killing me. No, this didnt just happen. Its been apart of a nagging pain that started a few months back while raiding. Keep in mind that I am a mechanic, and that is probably not helping the situation.

(Backstory)

Im in moderately successful guild that raids 3d/3h schedule. We cleared all content on heroic a few months back, enough to get us the #2 spot on our server. I am also a prot/arms warrior. When it came time to do Heroic Spine, I was chosen to be the blood tank because of my personal ability, my characters talents, and my mobility. Having a infinite taunt helps too. I know people will laugh, but Im normally a clicker. For that fight, getting to the second tendon was an issue because I couldnt click the add, click taunt, then hit abilities fast enough. So I decided to keybind taunt to my #1 button. Quick, easy, near my movement buttons...great. We started progressing and after 2 weeks or so, downed it.

Sometime during this, I started developing an issue with my ring finger. (The same one used to press #1.) My finger was getting sore around the middle knuckle. Being a trooper, I played through the pain, trying not to let anyone in the group down. Its been about 3 months now, and the damn pain wont stop. It goes away periodically, but never seems to be longer than a day and its back.

Has anyone else here developed issues with their hands from gaming? What should I do? (Besides seeing the Dr, Im going to ask him about it when I go in for a physical which is coming up in a few short months.)

Stop being silly and go see a health professional.

In all likelyhood its probably it's RSI, Try to keep your wrists straight and supported while operating a keyboard (not just gaming but during any typing aswell) you may want invest in one of those keyboard cussion things and adjust the height of you keyboard or seating position whilst typing.

or it could be a hairline fracture being aggravated. or it could be cancer. Go see a health professional if aches and pains extend for more than a week.

I'd go to the doctor sooner than 2 months, that is a long time off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Stop being silly and go see a health professional.

In all likelyhood its probably it's RSI, Try to keep your wrists straight and supported while operating a keyboard (not just gaming but during any typing aswell) you may want invest in one of those keyboard cussion things and adjust the height of you keyboard or seating position whilst typing.

or it could be a hairline fracture being aggravated. or it could be cancer. Go see a health professional if aches and pains extend for more than a week.
    Its not in my wrists, its actually in the joint of a finger. Looking at it now it kinda looks slightly swollen compared to my right hand.

And its definately not cancer. From what a Dr told me, cancer has no nerve endings. Thus the cancer itself will not hurt when touched. I can touch the joint and feel a good bit of pain.

RSI doesn't just affect your wrists but the position of your wrists will affect how you use your fingers, and how you use your fingers will influence the probabilities of developing RSI. Cancers can cause pressure on nerve endings though much like how the stone in a shoe has no nerver endings but its nonetheless uncomfortable. You've had persistent pain for 3 months, it could be trivial, it could be fatal. Go see a professional, especially if you can correctly diagnose cancer on site, the world needs men like you.

Have you tried ice, Motrin and keeping it imobilized?

Quote Originally Posted by Prucilak View Post
    Its not in my wrists, its actually in the joint of a finger. Looking at it now it kinda looks slightly swollen compared to my right hand.

And its definately not cancer. From what a Dr told me, cancer has no nerve endings. Thus the cancer itself will not hurt when touched. I can touch the joint and feel a good bit of pain.
    Swelling can be reduced with ice and anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen. In a related note if you wear any rings on this finger you may want to remove them. Swelling is a bit concerning of a problem without being able to relate it to some sort of trauma (i.e. your finger swelled up cause you jammed it in a door). Swelling will typically fade as the trauma caused injury heals. If you're finger is swollen as a result of a problem that persisted this long, it should definitely be looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Prucilak View Post
    Its been about 3 months now, and the damn pain wont stop. It goes away periodically, but never seems to be longer than a day and its back.
    Any pain that persists for a long period of time and doesn't get better should prompt you to see a medical professional. Simple fact for you, even a broken bone will heal in like 6-8 weeks and the pain while at rest will get better in a few weeks. If your problem is continuing three months after first signs, that's a big red flag.

Pain shouldn't persist for a long period of time. As your body heals, the pain should reduce. Plain and simple. Whenever any pain is around longer than expected or if it ever gets worse you should seek medical attention.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Have you tried ice, Motrin and keeping it imobilized?
    I try to keep it immobilized as much as I can. Its still a finger that gets involuntarily used.

No rings. Which I cant decide if thats because Im insane or perfectly sane. One of the two....

As of last night when I made this post, the pain was probably a 4. Currently its down to a 1. I can still feel a slight bit of pain, but everything works as it should. The swelling is gone too. As for the swelling, its not alot of swelling, maybe 1-2mm larger than it usually is. I have very good vision.

So anyways, Im going to call my Dr and see when I can get a visit. I honestly think its a strain that I keep re-aggrevating from work and playing WoW/D3.

On a side note, I used to have bad knee pain in my left knee for years. It would come and go. Last for a day or two, leave for a week. Turned out I had a strained ACL/MCL in my left knee. Only thing that fixed it? Buying a stick shift car and driving alot. Surprisingly enough.

+ Reply to Thread