Closed Thread

Thread: gereral dk tank issue

gereral dk tank issue

ok so ive been playing of private wotlk servers for a while and since im on blizzard i have a problem i love dk tanks but a thing bothers me what weapon 2 choose 1h or 2h? there is no 2h tank weapon but if i hang out with 2 1h weap ppl call ne noob or or sometimes oldschool pls tell help me 2 1h weap or 1 2h?)

DK tanks use a 2h prefable with Haste Mastery on it. Dual wield Tanking has never really worked for Blood DKs.

Dual wielding is a large threat loss. Also, you usually get more mastery with the 2 handed weapons. I am not sure about haste, I have leaned toward mastery / hit or mastery / expertise when it was available. Hit/exp don't affect survivability since deathstrike heals even if it misses now so I don't guess it matters much unless Teng is about to educate us both about the haste benefit. =)

(It's happened before so don't be surprised if he has a very good reason for recommending haste).

Simcraft shows Haste as being the best Threat for DK tanks. Hit/exp don't give survivability haste actually lets them get more DS in in a given time frame

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Simcraft shows Haste as being the best Threat for DK tanks. Hit/exp don't give survivability haste actually lets them get more DS in in a given time frame
    Yup. Haste/mastery. Once upon a time in an expac far far away.... hit/exp was useful, In general though, a DK tank weapon is any 2-hander with strength, stam, and mastery. Anything other stats can be reforged to haste.

Once upon a time there was some argument that two one-handers allowed for more blood worms and thus yielded a higher heal total over the long haul, but it wasn't by an overwhelming amount (iirc it was something around like 2%-4% at best), and it still placed the DK behind on threat (misses) and survival (lack of defensive stats in order to make up the shortfall in hit). Were people doing it? Yes. Were they highly successful? No.

Blood DK is really built to work with 2H weapons.
    No one tanks in a void.........

No DK 2H tank weapons? I must be playing a different expansion. People discount Gurthalak too quickly becasue of the lack of secondary stats; which is just wrong. Most will say the Experimental Specimen Slicer is the "tank weapon" because it has mastery, but the extra strength (parry) and stam of Gurthalak IMO make up for the mastery at higher gear levels. Right now raid buffed my mastery gives me a shield of 188% of amount healed by my DS and the shield stacks; I really don't need more mastery and my dodge/parry is around 31% combined, give or take. On Skittles the other day (normal) I was messing around and I had my Blood Shield up to around 252K. And the proc on Gurthalak is very nice.

When you get into heroics the heroic version of the Slicer is a very nice tanking weapon.

All in all I personally like Gurthalak.

As for DK tank haste, can you really get enough haste to make a difference without sacrificing something else? I mean theoretically is it sounds good, but....

i tend to go for mastery and reforge whatever else i can to dodge or parry. Also, im using gurthalak on my dk tank too, mainly because i havent gotten an axe of yorsahj to drop. One thing I love about gurth is with survivability not being too big of an issue for me anymore the proc tends to put me about 5-6k ahead of the other tank on most bosses, albeit my dk only gets in pugs so that may also have something to do with the other tanks gear/rotation but also the proc does rediculous amounts of threat. although it is quite annoying when theres a tank swap and i have a tentacle or 2 out because i basically have to sit there for the next 15 seconds or I pull aggro right back. Again, may also have something to do with the other tank. just my 2 cents though, not a great or even good dk tank.

Wow this is even a question?
    Anyone serious about tanking would never ever DW as blood, as someone has already said the slicer is BIS because of its mastery but there are others like the Blackhorn mace that can be gemmed/forged. Gurth is probably the worst 2H tanking wep because it can't be forged.
    Threat as a DK is so gigantic that the real issue is overthreat, if I'm tanking corruptions I basically can't do anything except white swing until the other tank has his impale running. Because one death strike will monster his threat, and he's a great bear tank with awesome threat.
    Try http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow as a tool for speccing/gear optimization.

Most peoples attitude towards tanking with 2h weapons is all wrong... It's a blessing not a curse... Any strength 2h in the hands of a well played dk can be a tank weapon while some are better than others and I personally like slicer best, a good dk could probably take a 333 I lvl 2h and out threat a blood dk dual wielding soul drinkers so just get the best 2h you can

Don't forget, DKs get to runeforge. That makes up the tanking stats you really think you are missing. Mastery is the key. With that and runeforge, whatever other stat you have is ok.

This is honestly a dead thread. Please let it remain dead.

The OP asked

ok so ive been playing of private wotlk servers for a while and since im on blizzard i have a problem i love dk tanks but a thing bothers me what weapon 2 choose 1h or 2h? there is no 2h tank weapon but if i hang out with 2 1h weap ppl call ne noob or or sometimes oldschool pls tell help me 2 1h weap or 1 2h?)
    DK tanking is done and has been done with a TWO HANDED WEAPON for all of Cata.
    For DK tanks..... TWO HANDED WEAPONS ARE TANKING WEAPONS.

Stat preference is MASTERY.

Kaz or Kren...... please kill this thread.

No one tanks in a void.........

Ohay a necro thread.

Dead.

(Note that talking about playing on private servers is a nono.)

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Closed Thread