+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Need help with Druid Tanking.

I supposed you could do the old bear stand-by if the damage is not enough...turn and sit to be hit. =/

it happens as a warrior too. we put on DPS gear so our white swings generate more rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    it happens as a warrior too. we put on DPS gear so our white swings generate more rage.
    Yeah, but it seemed to be much more often and for longer periods with the bear, than my warrior; I like to idea of turning and taking a few shots, I'll give that a try.

And bear AoE sort of sucks; however, all in all, I like the bear.

Bear AoE sucks?

Rage starvation in raid instances?

Are we playing the same game?

Yeah, we are, I guess I'm just new with the bear and too used to my DK (DnD,disease spread with Pestilence), Pally (HoR, Consecration, Captain America Shield) and Warrior (Rend/TC, Shockwave, Cleave).

but cleave=maul?

Thrash on cd on AoE. Works pretty well. For that matter, I thrash on cd for single target, lol.

So something like Swipe, Thrash, Mangle w/Berserk up.

Thrash on CD, fill with maul and swipe. berserk + mangle with 3-4 targets is extremely strong, we are talking 60-100k dps for the 20 seconds. less than 3 targets thrash, maul, mangle and stack lacerate on each mob.

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight.

Getting at least one lacerate each mob on multiple target pulls = tons of mangle procs. I do try to keep thrash on cd but I find outside of the first few seconds, swipe starts to get ignored due to tabbing and mangling so much.

Simple answer:
    If you find yourself rage-starved, you're probably hitting Maul too much. Maul is the Heroic Strike of bears -- it costs 30 rage versus Mangle's 15/Free and Lacerate's 15.

You should have the Feral Talent Natural Reaction, which does give you rage when you dodge (admittedly, 3 per dodge down from 5), but also, Ultraxion in particular has points where the boss is not hitting you (because you're either in the Twilight Zone or the other tank has taunted off of you) but you're probably still hitting buttons since Ultraxion is a DPS race, so you're spending rage faster than you get it. Generally I:

1) Save my Enrage for right after I pop out of the Twilight Zone (admittedly, since I'm a bearcat I also run with 2/2 Primal Madness -- Berserk and Enrage both give me 12 extra rage).
    2) Only ever hit Maul when my bar is full. My rotation is more 'Mangle whenever it's off cooldown, Lacerate when it is on cooldown, Pulverize whenever I have 3 stacks of Lacerate, oh hey, full rage bar plus Pulverize applied? Maul. Mangle should *always* be your go to attack - not only does it hit for more than Maul does, it costs less, you get it on Berserk procs (think Shield Slam) and it's keyed into your cooldown Berserk for multimobs.

For a visceral proof of this, the next time you run Well of Eternity, put up a damage meter, pop Berserk on the crystal mob, and hit nothing but Mangle. Watch your damage output compared to the rest of the DPS. Also, when we get to Pandaria, Mangle is your primary rage _generator_. :P

Bear AoE works better for me than any other class, but that's because I play my bear the most. Try this on for size:

/castsequence Thrash, Swipe, Swipe

Thrash is a 6 second cooldown and Swipe is on a 3 second cooldown, so you'll end up with more of a Thrash-Swipe, Swipe-Thrash rotation when you press that, but it's still faster than the 969 rotation I'm learning.

(it might be Swipe(Bear), I'm not sure since I'm at work) -- it's my one button AoE. I also tab target through mobs and hit Lacerate (more chances of Berserk procs) on everything in sight, and I do not lose aggro on trash packs.

-Tielyn

Great thanks for the advice. As I said, I'm new to bear tanking and I'm liking the challange of it so far. In fact I like all the tanks, each have a little different feel to them.

You're welcome, and they do. I think all tanks should have the experience of playing each of the tank classes, just as all healers should try all of the different heal flavors just to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each. There's no 'wrong' way to play a class, just less effective ways and different directions you can go at the expense of other things.

Plus if you wind up getting your flavor of tank nerfed into the floor or are already saved, you have a backup plan.

-Tielyn

I am loving my druid bear....Just wondering how MOP is going to affect our class?

Quote Originally Posted by Krow View Post
    I am loving my druid bear....Just wondering how MOP is going to affect our class?
    You'll realize just how awesome Druids are and come to the conclusion that only one thing is better... two Druids. May as well start leveling that second one now.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Krow --

Over here http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...hanges-so-far. is the current thread for how bears will change for MoP. I'm trying to stay on top of the new changes.

-T.

Thanks Tielyn for the heads up.

+ Reply to Thread