+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot warrior Questions.

Prot warrior Questions.

My gear isn't great, I'll just put that out there. I usually run heroics, but my friends sometimes do LFR, and I'd like to go with them without being, "that terrible tank."

I keep hearing about a ctc cap. As a prot warrior, when calculating my avoidance, do I just add up my block dodge parry and 5% miss? Do I add critical block from mastery?

Do I want to be at the cap passively, or when the stars align and everything is popped and procced together?

Is there any benefit, however small, to being over the cap?

Different topic, how important is my threat/dps? I'd like to pick up gag order, and I currently skip incite and deep wounds. Will I wipe my LFR? Does it make a big difference? Do I need to be weaving things like concussion blow and shockwave into my rotation on the single target boss fights, or can I skip them?

Finally, what's this I hear about Revenge being useless?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Thought of one more question: What's the point in speccing Last Stand; isn't Rallying Cry better in most circumstances? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Mathalor; 05-29-2012 at 10:58 PM.

When talking about the CTC cap you do just add up your Miss, dodge, Parry, and Block Chance, you do not add Critical Block chance as its a seprate rolll so 50% crit block means 50% of your blocks will crit, not 50% of the attacks aimed at you. You also need to remember the Boss is 3 levels higher so you actually need to reach 102.4% CTC. The reason this is above 100% is that for each level higher a mob is it ignores 0.2% of a stat, and four stats make up your CTC. 3 levels times 4 stats times 0.2% is 2.4%. just aim for 102.4% and you can forget all the 3 level higher math.

Ideally you do want to be "passively" over the cap. By passively we mean with what ever buffs you would usaully have 100% of the time in combat, so you would calculate with Blessing of Kings/Mark of the wild and Battle SHout/Horn of Winter/Strength of Earth, and with the food buff & lask/Elixer you would usually use. If you don't usualy have any of the above, don't include them in your CTC. Certainly don't include Shield Block or procs in there.

There is no benefit to having above 102.4% CTC until you start being hit by level 89 mobs in MoP. However there is still some marginal benefit to having more mastery above the cap, as it will still be increasing your critical block chance, though once we've achieved 102.4% CTC Mastery falls belove Stamina, Dodge, And Parry in desirability.

Threat is not important at all. Aggro however is. Aslong as you have aggro 100% of the time that you're ment to, threat is meaningless. DPS is usaully not particularily important unless you're wiping to enrage timers, it's nice to have, but ultimatley it's just a luxury not a neccisity. You will not wipe your LFR group for not having Deep Wounds or Incite. They do make a big difference. Incite on a single target, if you're maximising your HS usage, is over a 3% DPS increase per point. On a single target it's probably your best Talent and better than some you would probably consider mandatory like Sword and Board (it is useless on AoE). Unless you're Exclusively tanking multiple mobs, or rage starved the majority of the time I would never recommend dropping this talent. Deep wounds Whislt not quite as powerful as Incite, is applicable to both single target and AoE situations. It's only slightly behind S'n'B in terms of DPS at just under 2% damage increase per point, though this will fluctuate in line with your crit levels and weapon damage. For an Optimal DPS rotation you should be using both CB and SW in your single target rotation. you do not use either on cooldown, rather you waint until the GCD before SS comes off CD and use them there. THis way you maximise the number of SnB procs, You should also be using Rend on single targets, and refreshing it with TC when it has less than 3 seconds duration left. This is actually your second highest priority for maximising DPS, behind only keeping SS on CD.

Revenge is not useless. its not just all that great. Assuming you've specced 2/2 Imp. Rev. and 3/3 War Academy, and 3/3 Deep Wounds, its not likely that Devastate will on average hit harder than Revenge mainly due to its higher Crit chance (20% passive) and thus more deep wound procs. thus if you stopped using Revenge you would probably not lose DPS, and free up the 2 talent points in Imp.Rev. for something else and simplify your rotation. However Revenge does have a couple of advantages, firstly its cheap, it will save you upt to 120 RPM allowing potentially 4 extra HSs a minute so even with a lower average damage it may still be viable if you can burn rage fast enough, secondly with the t13 4PC it does have some defensive untilities. ultiamlyy you will need to simcraft to see if it's worth using as, Having a large Vengeance stack will swing towards Revenge which scales off your AP exclusively, whereas having a much higher Ilvl weapon than the rest of your gear will favour Devastate as most of its damage comes from your weapon damage.

Rallying cry is a pro-actively used Raid CD, its useful for letting the raid survive pules of extreme raid damage, Last stand is botha proactive and a reactive tank CD, it can be used pro-actively to allow the tank to survive extreme pulses of tank damage, or it can be used reactively as an "ohSHIT!"panic button to cover unexpected bursts on the tank. Rallying cry does not offer the tank as much health for as long as Last Stand does, it is an inferior Tank CD and a vastly inferior panic button, and whislt you can use rallying Cry as a raid wide panic button, in reality you using a raid wide buff to attempt to save a single player, which is kinda wasteful. A Prot Warrior is the worst spec to provide this CD as he sacrifice the most to provide it and wherever possible an alternative spec should provide the raid CD instead.

EDIT: Gag Order really is a trash talent, no boss is silencable, even the 5 man ones. And whilst Gag Order certainly makes ranged caster mobs easier to pick up with good use of Warbringer, Heroic Leap, Heroic Throw, and Spell Reflect its pretty redundant outside of PVP.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 05-30-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Thank you, I think that that answers all my questions. I guess you're right about gag order, but I'm going to miss it. lol.

To elaborate just a bit on the great answer Teng gave for you, the rotation is affectionately called "fish, fish, truck" by some.

Fish = Devistate
    Called "fish" because you are fishing for a sword and board proc for a free shield slam
    Truck = Shockwave, Heroic Throw, Concusive Blow
    These are referred to as a truck because they still have high threat modifiers. They are used after two "fishes" (devistate) because shield slam is off cd next global anyways so a snb proc now does not give you an "extra" shield slam.

The trucks are simply rotated based on whatever is off cd. To add a little complexity to it, if you have the points in thunderstruck, try to only use shockwave when you have the three stacks. Additionally, you will ideally use a thunderclap in this position when rend has less than 3 seconds remaining. This is also the ideal position for demo shout maintenance and rend application.

(simplified example) Shield slam then;

Dev -> Dev -> Concusive Blow ->SS -> Dev -> Dev -> Shockwave -> SS -> Dev -> Dev -> Heroic Throw -> SS
    Fish -> Fish -> Truck ->SS -> Fish -> Fish -> Truck -> SS -> Fish -> Fish -> Truck ->SS

Any time you get an snb proc, you SS and start over with Fish, Fish, Truck again.

Do NOT delay SW for TS to stack to three. FishFishTruck delays SW by maybe 10 at the very worst, waiting to stack TS to 3 could delay it by up to 25 seconds, effectively halving the number of shockwaves for a boost of 10% damage to it. Try not to include HT as aatruck, it resets youe swing timer, so you lose a melee swing and a small amount of rage, its not quite as nice as the yellow number suggests.

Thanks for the corrections Teng, not sure when/how I missed those in my research. I guess I have let my Warrior knowledge fall off a bit when I stopping raiding with mine. Apologies Mathalor, I am sure Teng is right there.

Meh not like theres any consolidated guide for this stuff, You'd have to read like every prot warrior thread here in the past 18 months.

+ Reply to Thread