+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prot warrior help?

Yeah, you do the LFR method on the platforms, that's a bit more difficult. Tengenstein's method of 1 Tank, 2 Heals and 7 dps makes sense if you're only getting one impale. We do 1 tank, 3 heals and 6 dps (just a matter who's in guild at the time). Tank dps will vary I know my DK does about 25-28k dps and my warrior 17-25k dps ; and I'm basically average to slightly below average on tank dps (unless I'm forced to really pay attention like on our first Ultra attempts back in December).

I would say based on your gear, you are in the right range of damage. Might be some minor room for improvement but as a tank you should not have to worry about that as long as you are not losing threat.

As far as gear, your setup with the gear you have looks good to me. Someone else may see something I missed but the balance looks good. Just need more gear to drop, lol. If you do not have it, I highly recommend running Tol Barad dailies for the mastery+resistance trinket there. If you plan to raid through the rest of the expansion, this 359 trinket still has a lot of uses (as stated by someone earlier, helps with bolt damage on madness, great for pyschic blast on Zon'ozz, etc). I would wait to upgrade the cloak to last. The one you have is really solid for its item level and you may want to be a bit above ctc before trying the VP cloak. The VP belt might be a good next purchase.

Also, as stated earlier, you may want to consider changing the order you down the platforms. Each one provides a specific buff and when you down that platform you lose that buff. From what I've seen, it appears the most common order if you number left to right is 3-1-2-4. What this does is allow the bolt to be slowed so it can be killed without exploding on all but the last platform. The trade-off is you have to single target the tentacles on platforms 2 and 4, so the last two you do. This is the way my guild has done it for four groups now and it seems to work with almost any composition pretty well.

The way I numbered, 3 is the platform you teleport in on. Then you go all the way left. Then kill the one between those two. Then last is the far right.

Edit:
    As to heroism, there was a suggestion earlier to save it for platform 4 so that the mutated corruption is down before the bolt. I have a couple thoughts there as well.

1. His suggestion is viable. That may work well for your group but only you guys will know if you need to.
    2. If you can, try to use hero on the first platform to down the corruption and it's back up again just before the Terrors come out on the head. This largely depends on if you can get the corruption on the fourth platform down before the bolt without hero. For the two raid groups I lead in my guild, I just did an assessment of what cds we had as a raid before we pulled. I assigned which dps should be popping cds on which platforms for the corruptions. Since I dps 1 tank fights on my pally, I saved Guardian of Ancient Kings even though it was ready again on the third platform (platform 2). Instead I used it on the fourth to help down that before the bolt. Just make sure that all dps are not just using cds on cd but instead plan them to have maybe half the dps using cds on each platform. Two minute cds will be up every time. Three-five minute cds should be coordinated so that you have them when you need them most.
    Last edited by sifuedition; 05-30-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Alright, I talked to him and well, I'm doing much better tanking wise. He told me about www.askmrrobot.com, which told me what to reforge, how to reforge, and what to gem, and I'm happy to say that my CTC went up to 96.94% from just a few gems and reforging a few items. Here's what it looks like right now. http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/cenarion_circle/ltranger

N
    ext two upgrades are the VP bracers and belt (belt first). I'm hoping to do Heroic Morchok this saturday for the axe, (which is BiS according to mrrobot.com).

Askmrrobot is...good for a ballpark. I have used askmrrobot and I have even recommended it at times. I have always prefaced that with "for dps, this is a neat tool".

I personally don't trust it for tanking. That is not to say I don't look at it, especiallly for dps for a BiS list. However, I always second check it as well. You have to be especially careful about what level heroic gear you allow it to consider and what level crafted gear.

For instance, I compared the crafted tanking bracers to the drop bracers...and they are so close that I will not pay to have those made. Therefore, I have to make sure every time that I remove the 397 crafted from the options.

Also, comparing reforging advice from askmrrobot to wowreforge.com, wowreforge is just more accurate. This is based on how precisely wowreforge can reach the hit/exp caps etc on dps. To the best of my knowledge, however, wowreforge does not do gems or enchants.

For tanking, I have always just done it myself. To be honest, it's usually not hard to figure. The only real "gotchas" are when you have like 300 of a tank stat like dodge and 150 of a non-tank stat like hit. Which one is best to reforge to mastery? In a case like that, the difference from one to the other is rather small.

I certainly wouldn't trust askmrrobot, one of my guildies ran me through there and it's optimized score was lower than my unoptimized score.

Weapons and trinkets are the two areas you really have to be careful. Blizzard has made the DS weapons very interesting imo. I think it makes it a little more compelling. If you look at askmrrobot for ret pally, it will give you a "best" weapon. However, do any research and try to find theorycrafting on the same topic. You will find that it is very debatable and you really have to make a choice knowing the pros/cons. You don't get that view or depth in your gearing choices if you just use a site like that.

Gems should usually be obvious once you have done a little research. After that, most enchants are obvious with only a few slots that have interesting choices (is 50 hit or haste or mastery better?).

Reforging is different based on your role.
    Healers have to adjust based on their self percieved weaknesses while raiding. Running out of mana? Get more spirit. Heals not landing in time? Get more haste. Healing but it's not keeping up with damage? Get more int/spellpower.
    Block tanks need to focus mastery and balance dodge/parry. Beyond that, keep an eye on ctc to know when that mastery becomes useless/next to useless so you can focus on stam and carefully never drop below ctc.
    DPS...finally a more straight forward math problem.

For dps reforging, there are three (maybe 4?)mindsets as I see it:

1. I'll do it myself and that's close enough - good for anyone who just wants to have fun with friends
    2. Askmrrobot is cool and gets me really close - good for those who care a little about their performance
    3. Wowreforge gets my caps almost exact - good when you really want to top the meters...or at least beat your previous best
    4. Simulationcraft your toon for exact stat weights and then wowreforge...because 30,100 is still better than 30,000 dps

I tend to find that mindset 4 and 3 tend to go together.

With a little google work you can find simulationcraft online. Downloads quick and installs easy. Take a little time (took me about two or three hours to really find all the buffs/debuffs/scaling/etc) to find all the knobs and dials. Then import your toon. Simulate at least 10,000 times and it will give you stat weights. If you ever noticed, askmrrobot and wowreforge have a section where they show the stat weights. Those are modifiable. The defaults in there are based on BiS gear...which is probably not what you are wearing. Simulationcraft lets you get YOUR weights for YOUR gear. My ret has flopped from mastery to crit and back several times in the last month alone as the best secondary stat.

All that said...I do that for dps only. Not sure if simulationcraft and wowreforge work for tanking at all. Anyone confirm? I just usually do it myself, as I mentioned.
    Last edited by sifuedition; 05-30-2012 at 03:04 PM.

the platform order that tengenstein and theotherone are refering to is Green, Red, Yellow, Blue(3,1,2,4) by the way. Get dream on first plat, no single target on second, slowed bolt but single target on third and single target + unslowed bolt on last. It is in my opinion the easiest and most forgiving platform order however if the other tank is more geared i would reccomend you taking the first impale on the 4th platform with this order that way the more geared tank can take the impale + bolt landing which is quite a bit of damage.

+ Reply to Thread