+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legendary - Black Market Controversy

Legendary - Black Market Controversy

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I must say, that's a pretty epic Gannon freeze frame
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I concur^^

So could you guys not book skippy this week? Or did you just decide to do a nice easy 3 man show?

The following has been edited for All Audiences:

I have to agree on two big things here...

First of all, I f***ing hate the idea of the Black Market auction house.

I did not play this game during Vanilla. Yep, I had other S*** to do and at the time, and WoW didn't seem all that interesting to me. Come to think of it, I believe I was in Afghanistan when it released so I was very busy at the time. Do I worry about it? Not at all... BUT I do understand how a LOT of players do. I think it's good that the game has developed it's own 'bench marks' for time played. Irrevocable and unattainable achievements and acquisitions that say 'I was there' and 'I did that'. This idea makes me feel like it cheapens those achievements. It sucks I don't have them, but oh well, life goes on. Not having a full set of Tier 3 gear does not make me feel like less of a person, you know?

Also, and I am amazed no one said it, (Maybe they did on the official forums, I haven't checked) but the Gold Sellers are going to get F***ING RICH off this!!! ('Oh no! I need 50k more gold to outbid this guy! Quick - to the interwebs to buy gold!')

Secondly - Legendaries.

I f***ing hate legendaries.

I play a rogue and no one thing has made my life worse than them damn daggers. I have had to transfer servers, deal with every other player fighting for the gems and even after openly GIVING UP ON THEM have still had to fight for a raid slot. With heroic gear, I can and do keep up with the group, and also manage to outshine a few lucky, yet horribly misguided, Rogues that still F*** up their rotations or for whatever reason have just stopped trying to play well, because the idea that 'I have the legendaries, I can slack off now!' happens to exist.

The idea of trying to build on the Legendary system by opening it to all players gives me the SCREAMING Heebie Jeebies. I would not rage quit over this, but I would just give up on raiding before it even starts.

Sorry for the rant, but both those bits of news just made me feel kinda crappy about the game. Hey, it's their game so I am cool with most everything going on in Mists of Pandaria, but those two... uh, no thank you.

Black Market- Ashes of Alar being buyable would be like someone going out a buying a medal of honor without having earned it in RL. Those types of loot that are rare drops in a Raiding Grind. Things that require a special, quest chain shopuld require doing the chain. When your are talking about armor no longer available for T-mogging, or lesser- non-legendary weapons for T-mog that would be fine. Mounts/ weapons that required grinds in at rarified level of skill should not be auctioned- I would not blame the rage quitters for doing so. smaller fancy things like Links bommerang/ sword from Ungoro are cool, but selling Thunderfurys in other than a non-functional skin?!............ This should not be a new game of auction house PVP either having to bid against "money baggers" to get this? I would never touch this anyway if that is the way they are gonna work it, I am a casual and do not have the Gold to play. Also this would probably engourage the gold sales quite a bit. The lesser weapons like "Blackend" Thrash Blades, "Blackend" Ostrich Staff, etc. that use a fairly plain skin of weapons to allow T-Mog might fly.

An Epic or Longchain Quest for the classes would be excellent, but intergrate it during the leveling experience with a "refresher" every few patches so every 10-15 levels each class goes back and learn the new discovered abilities. Learn Shadow Shape Disguise as a Rogue, which would even hide you from city guards, Learn Green Fire for Warlocks, Get a special pet for hunters. Give a Master title that works until a patch update drops...... <toon name> the 1000 faced for rogues, or <toon Name> the Fiend for warlocks...etc.

I'm not really sure that 1 more epic mount each one or two years does a thing to the value of said mount. I don't want to sound harsh but the comments in the show seems to come from people that don't have a clue about WoW AH, not buying for the raiding night or selling some gems, but playing the AH. It is a time investment and a way to play the game which could be fun in fact. So if this gives another group of players more things to do, less time to complain in forums I don't see too much problem.

Grinding old dungeons especially those beyond a certain age is not a skilled task (rare exceptions aside). It is incredibly simple and requires little effort. Furthermore winning an item on a 1% drop chance is not something that requires skill. It requires luck and of course time.

I am therefore slightly confused as to why acquiring an item via the above activities is seen as something to be proud of and why those players look down upon and sneer at those players who earn millions of gold on the AH. Granted earning gold can also be achieved via a massive commitment of time but I believe it is a more skillful activity than winning dice rolls and one-buttoning an old dungeon where you are pretty much immortal.

Market forces should ensure that the amount of gold required to acquire these items reflects the personal cost of pursuing the alternatives. It will effectively put a price on the time you spend grinding in old dungeons. If anything it might teach some players a lesson - especially those who mistakenly believe that spending time grinding dungeons or even farming mats with mining/herbing skills equates to getting something "for free".

God knows we need a gold sink so anything that takes money out of the economy has to be a good thing although I suspect those of us with the most gold will be the least likely to buy these items. Not a problem in itself though as us gold hoarders are having a deflationary effect.

I am not sure that this will lead to an increase in gold farmers. Most players earn their gold by fair and legal means. If they spend their gold on the Black Market they have less gold to spend on gems and enchants. Hopefully that will help suppress the price growth of those items and make it less likely that other players will need to buy gold to pay their bills.

The policing of illegal activities within the game and in particular the rampant unpunished botting by real players using their own accounts is something where Blizzard really need to raise their game regardless of changes such as this to the in game economy. Indeed if illegal activities are making significant contributions to inflation (I don't believe that but hey) then it is Blizzards failure to get a grip on the situation and police their own game successfully that is to blame. It is not justification to deny us items that we can spend our gold on. After all it is about choice and letting us decide how we spend our time - grinding dungeons or grinding the AH.

With my business hat on I'd even say that Blizzard could sell such items via real money auctions. Given the price people pay for trading cards....why not? Personally I'd prefer a gold sink though.

Why dont they just make legendarys a epic quest line and have it give some sort of new pet at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Toypop View Post
    Grinding old dungeons especially those beyond a certain age is not a skilled task (rare exceptions aside). It is incredibly simple and requires little effort. Furthermore winning an item on a 1% drop chance is not something that requires skill. It requires luck and of course time.

I am therefore slightly confused as to why acquiring an item via the above activities is seen as something to be proud of and why those players look down upon and sneer at those players who earn millions of gold on the AH. Granted earning gold can also be achieved via a massive commitment of time but I believe it is a more skillful activity than winning dice rolls and one-buttoning an old dungeon where you are pretty much immortal.

Market forces should ensure that the amount of gold required to acquire these items reflects the personal cost of pursuing the alternatives. It will effectively put a price on the time you spend grinding in old dungeons. If anything it might teach some players a lesson - especially those who mistakenly believe that spending time grinding dungeons or even farming mats with mining/herbing skills equates to getting something "for free".

God knows we need a gold sink so anything that takes money out of the economy has to be a good thing although I suspect those of us with the most gold will be the least likely to buy these items. Not a problem in itself though as us gold hoarders are having a deflationary effect.

I am not sure that this will lead to an increase in gold farmers. Most players earn their gold by fair and legal means. If they spend their gold on the Black Market they have less gold to spend on gems and enchants. Hopefully that will help suppress the price growth of those items and make it less likely that other players will need to buy gold to pay their bills.

The policing of illegal activities within the game and in particular the rampant unpunished botting by real players using their own accounts is something where Blizzard really need to raise their game regardless of changes such as this to the in game economy. Indeed if illegal activities are making significant contributions to inflation (I don't believe that but hey) then it is Blizzards failure to get a grip on the situation and police their own game successfully that is to blame. It is not justification to deny us items that we can spend our gold on. After all it is about choice and letting us decide how we spend our time - grinding dungeons or grinding the AH.

With my business hat on I'd even say that Blizzard could sell such items via real money auctions. Given the price people pay for trading cards....why not? Personally I'd prefer a gold sink though.
    Can't agree more. Special snowflakes that grinded Ashes when it was looong way outdated... I am sorry about you... same goes for all other loot that was available when no skill was needed other than pure luck to get it.

The prestige part of the game died when cata was released, Light of Dawn anyone? Lets hope they don't sell titles you can't get anymore like Scarab Lord, hand of adal and champion of Naaru... the only titles worth using on your chars.
    Last edited by Hightotem; 05-21-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Can you really grind enough dailies to make like 400k gold? I feel like the only way to really make that much is to either:
    A) ultra farm
    B) sell epic BoEs
    C) play the auction house

I feel like the gold from dailies isn't really enough. Even if you get 30 gold from all 25 dailies EVERY day, it would take you 533 days to get 400k gold...
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread