+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Marmot - Cross-Realm Zones

The Weekly Marmot - Cross-Realm Zones

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Honestly, I think its an awesome idea... That they announced JUST AFTER I blew the 75 bucks to transfer servers. Damn.

Its nice a addition but WoW just isn't about going out in the world anymore. I don't think it ever really captured that feel like Everquest anyway.

The real news will be if they ever get the guts to commit to cross-realm raiding even on current content. I have a feeling that even Blizzard isn't going to have the faith in their game to give up what I imagine is a huge source of their revenue in terms of server transfer fees.

It's nice, but it's kind of like tossing your dog a little doggie biscuit while you're having a ribeye and baked potato with the works.

Again though, this brings me back to my recurring point of the "evil genie". The player says "something needs to be done!" Blizzard hears them, and does something, but it's not really what the playerbase really wanted. It's almost like getting underwear for Christmas.
    No one tanks in a void.........

"The only people playing WoW are the ones holding onto the four generations behind mmorpg"
    I don't know if I should be insulted or not. Well regardless, I can say in confidence at least I will continue to play WoW so long as Blizzard keeps a server open for me to log on to. On the topic, though, I'm not sure if I like this or not. I'm one of those people that like the rpg part more than the mmo part of WoW, and it's very discouraging to play when you want to be alone and people won't leave you alone. QQ pvp server, I know. But it is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodglas View Post
    "The only people playing WoW are the ones holding onto the four generations behind mmorpg"
    I don't know if I should be insulted or not. Well regardless, I can say in confidence at least I will continue to play WoW so long as Blizzard keeps a server open for me to log on to. On the topic, though, I'm not sure if I like this or not. I'm one of those people that like the rpg part more than the mmo part of WoW, and it's very discouraging to play when you want to be alone and people won't leave you alone. QQ pvp server, I know. But it is a good idea.
    Uh.

I was talking about people playing WoW 5-6 years from now.

Ok, so a little over 6 months ago Blizzard made a set of servers for Brazilian players. 95% (rough estimate) of the Brazilian player-base took their free transfer to those servers. This left about half a dozen servers severely underpopulated. Forming a BH run on a Tuesday is hard to do now.
    So my point in all of this is: yeah, so if Blizz does any server merging it will hurt them, but could they at least do a better job at cleaning up their own messes?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    Ok, so a little over 6 months ago Blizzard made a set of servers for Brazilian players. 95% (rough estimate) of the Brazilian player-base took their free transfer to those servers. This left about half a dozen servers severely underpopulated. Forming a BH run on a Tuesday is hard to do now.
    So my point in all of this is: yeah, so if Blizz does any server merging it will hurt them, but could they at least do a better job at cleaning up their own messes?
    But the transfer fees!

I moved to Stormrage exactly because being on a low pop server blows in most regards ( Black Market auction house is going to suck and thats about the only problem with a high pop server ). Every day it seems like the server is growing more and more and I have to imagine there are a ton of essentially unplayable servers at this point if you want to do any raiding or non xrealm activities from which these people are fleeing. Thats why this a nice toy - being the only one in silithus is depressing but not gamebreaking. The gamebreaking problems would require some way of evening out servers with empty auction houses, not enough of a critical mass for raiding, etc.

Square Enix /Yoshida Naoki did what their players asked them for in FFXIV, merge servers. From 22 down to 11. And game is still going strong, and its alot more fun now seeing people packed everywhere. I cannot walk around anywhere in Eorzea without bumping into people questing, killing Notorious Monsters, farming etc.

With the release of FFXIV 2.0, when PS3 players and more PC users starts playing, they will increase servers again. So I dont see the whole server merges = DEATH. To us at least its brought much more life into the world of Eorzea

Quote Originally Posted by Xenosaga View Post
    With the release of FFXIV 2.0, when PS3 players and more PC users starts playing, they will increase servers again. So I dont see the whole server merges = DEATH. To us at least its brought much more life into the world of Eorzea
    It's different for WoW. SWTOR is merging servers in a few months... nobody cares, they're a new game, they overestimated their opening sales, whatever. WoW on the other hand is a 7 and a half year old game with more than 10 million players. It's kind of the center of attention in the MMO industry. People already like to claim WoW is dying, if blizzard isn't careful about what they do, a lot of people will jump on the bandwagon.

Maybe it's just me... (sorry if this is negative, I just wanted to look at it from another angle.)

This to me just sounds like a way to go about doing server mergers without doing server mergers.

Blizzard knows if you merge servers or shut servers down and stuff to make less populated servers more populated that there will be bad news popping up all over the internet, because that's what happens when server mergers and shutdowns are announced.

So to avoid that... they spend all this money in coding up a way to phase in other servers to each other with this whole 'Realm Realms' thing.

To me, it just feels like a way to avoid the bad press of WoW slowly dying. But as I said, that's just how I look at this.
    Last edited by Maziel; 05-16-2012 at 10:06 PM.

This is honestly better than server mergers. It allows the merging to take place only in the areas where it's needed, and only when necessary. So instead of overcrowding Elwynn because Vashj'ir is empty most of the time, you get a more even population across the world.

Every server -- not just the handful that need mergers -- will benefit from this.

We'll see how it goes. It does of course sound interesting. I just thought I would post my first initial thoughts about it when I heard it just to see if you or anyone else had a similar thought. Wasn't trying to bag the idea or work Blizzard did to achieve it though.
    Last edited by Maziel; 05-17-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    This is honestly better than server mergers. It allows the merging to take place only in the areas where it's needed, and only when necessary. So instead of overcrowding Elwynn because Vashj'ir is empty most of the time, you get a more even population across the world.

Every server -- not just the handful that need mergers -- will benefit from this.
    I personally would prefer a server with loads of people where I can see the same people again, and not at random in a merged area just incase I befriend people, and want to keep playing with them again etc without real ID system.

I remember FFXIV before the server merge, I could stand around camps/aetherythes across Eorzea or when questing/farming and see nobody around. Now I rarely ever seem to be alone.

SE will release a Content Finder in 2.0, allowing cross server PT for anything you want. Sign up for doing quests, dungeons, primal fight and even farming/crafting.

I do wish WoW the best with MoP and what they are planning to do with it. I personally has lost all interest in coming back as I love the path FFXIV is headed

And Lore, I also remember you saying professions in WOW is now nothing more than a personal buff, and items made not worth making. FFXIV, crafting really matters, some of the best gear can be crafter made, IF the crafter is skilled enough to Multimeld Materia on it. Im loving there is also a risk for crafting to fail and you loose the materials if unsuccessful. When an Item is crafted, it can still get destroyed when you start adding Materia to em XD

Quote Originally Posted by Xenosaga View Post
    I personally would prefer a server with loads of people where I can see the same people again, and not at random in a merged area just incase I befriend people, and want to keep playing with them again etc without real ID system.
    Battletags

Seeing as with this new technology there is no more real "high population" problem on servers anymore. Seeing as they can just split the zones if there are too many people in there.

My question is then, why would anyone roll on a medium or low population realm?

This means they low and medium population realms will just keep bleeding players as currently high population realms are the ones to go to (activity and thus possible things to do are much higher on a high population realm, not to mention recruitment possibilities).

In short, the situation will only become more dire for those realms that are low/medium population for everything that requires people to be on the same realm (raids, AH, etc) while alleviating any problems that would occur due to high population (gathering, questing, etc).

Seeing as my main is on a medium population realm (quit shortly in december after killing the first two bosses on heroic in Dragonsoul and the guild disbanded), where the Horde side has no true raiding guilds (our disbanded guild was still in the top 10 till March) and with no expectations of improvements, this leaves me with either paying Blizzard 90 Euro (100 dollar'ish i guess) to transfer my toons to a high population realm or reroll.

At least they should give everyone a free transfer at the start of MOP. Or make it an annual pass thingy where you can transfer all your characters for free by opting into the annual pass.

Wow that was a random post

Battletags
    Still not the same sadly. As even crafting is often done in parties for fun and speed up the crafting process. 1 makes ores into ingots, another turns ingots in plates/nails etc, then another turns those into armors, while the last one finishes it with smacking Materia onto it. Maybe turning it into +1 High Quality for increased stats

I quit WoW before battletags was available, but from what I read on Blizzards Q&A, battletagged players cant join up in cities etc. I might be wrong. But I just prefer Server communities, not crossservers. The RDF/RRF was just a horrible experience most of the times I did them.

A server merger fixes the really important problems of not being able to put together a DS, BH, or for practical purposes an entire guild structure because of a lack of critical mass. This doesn't address any of those issues and I hear far more people complaining they had to transfer to a larger server to find a viable guild than anything else. For every person that complains about having to transfer I'm guessing there is one who just quit the game instead (and may come back in a few months, but still its not a good thing).

Quote Originally Posted by tawnos View Post
    A server merger fixes the really important problems of not being able to put together a DS, BH, or for practical purposes an entire guild structure because of a lack of critical mass. This doesn't address any of those issues and I hear far more people complaining they had to transfer to a larger server to find a viable guild than anything else. For every person that complains about having to transfer I'm guessing there is one who just quit the game instead (and may come back in a few months, but still its not a good thing).
    ^ I agree with this.

However, this is just a small step away from fixing all of those problems. The only problem remaining is the ability to have cross-realm guilds. All you really need is guild chat and the ability to go wherever your guildies are. If you can tie guild tags into which "realm-instance" you are in, and allow guild chat to be cross-server, it is just as good as server merges. I feel like if this goes well, that will be the next step.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    ^ I agree with this.

However, this is just a small step away from fixing all of those problems. The only problem remaining is the ability to have cross-realm guilds. All you really need is guild chat and the ability to go wherever your guildies are. If you can tie guild tags into which "realm-instance" you are in, and allow guild chat to be cross-server, it is just as good as server merges. I feel like if this goes well, that will be the next step.
    I'm not sure I have much faith in that. This first step ameliorates the lesser problem for the health of the game but probably what Blizzard sees as its larger issue - people quitting the game in small part because they see empty zones as they level up. Its basically a win-win for them to implement this assuming the cost of the technology required to implement it is not too high (or, as is probably more likely, is something they were going to spend to make workable for Titan anyway). Real cross-realm raids/guilds run directly counter to transfer fees though and it would take some substantial dedication to give that up. I do wonder how much of Blizzard's revenue is transfer fees. As a guess I've spent around 20% of the total money I've coughed up to Blizzard in transfer fees and I've toyed with the though of moving to Ilidan-Horde which would increase that to more like 40% (10x faction/server xfers is expensive even to me). If i'm somewhat similar to the average, are they going to recover that kind of loss in terms of reducing subscription cancellations?

+ Reply to Thread