+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's time to buy a new mouse! (Suggestions)

Question It's time to buy a new mouse! (Suggestions)

Alright, here's some basic info:

1) I currently have an old Logi G5 with a blue cracked pattern that I love but it's getting very old and I'm starting to get occasional click response issues.

2) I have large but skinny hands(can palm a basketball pretty easily or if you are more musically inclined I can reach ~1.5 octaves comfortably on a piano) thus I think a smaller mouse would cause some cramping. Also, I use a "palm grip" and am concerned where the thumb buttons may line up.

3) I don't "need" the 12 side buttons on a naga, I currently get by just fine with the two side buttons and modifiers as well as a "ESDF" movement set up.

4) I'm thinking I'm going to want more than 2 mouse buttons because GW2 doesn't allow you to do modifiers with keybindings (or hasn't implemented them yet).

Those are the basics. I'm basically interested in what people have to say about any of the mice out there but specifically anyone with fairly large hands who uses any of them for long periods of time.

Here are the mice I'm initially looking at along with my primary concerns with them.

Razer Naga Hex: My worry here is about how easily the reviews say the mechanical thumb keys activate as well as it's ergonomics for a fairly large hand.

Razer Naga (standard): I'm worried about it's size as well as the location of the buttons under my thumb in it's normal resting position.

Corsair M90:
    Still slightly smaller than my G5 I think but my main concern here is with the software required to use it and the ease of getting it to work and that you can't bind the buttons to actual keys on the keyboard or have a way to program "press and hold" like you would want for a PTT keybinding.

Edit: I'd like to add the Cyborg MMO 7 to this list of possibilities as well I think. I really like it's adjustability as well as the one "ring finger" button that is perfect for PTT.

Any strong thoughts or opinions based on experience? Also, does anyone know a good US store that might have all of these on display to see how they fit? I've had a pretty rough time finding places I can actually try mice out of the box.
    Last edited by Shaidar; 05-14-2012 at 01:09 AM.
    Guild: Death and Taxes
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/shaidyadvice (WoW, SC2, LoL and more)
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaidyadvice (Raid leading guides and random video games)

The M90 should work even without the software installed, that is only really to control the LED brightness and button assignment profiles. If it is as solid as the K90 is, you could play ball games with it without it breaking (I reckon I could use it as a cricket bat without it breaking). I've only really heard stories of Razer products breaking, haven't ever owned one of their products though so take that with as many crystals of NaCl as you wish.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    I had doubts about the Razer Naga too, but after I got it and really got used to the buttons it's not a huge problem at all. If you want to control the colors of the LED for the Naga I suggest getting the Naga Epic as you can change the LEDs to pretty much any color you want. They also give you little bump things you can put on the Nagas buttons to use to get a feel for the buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

i have fairly large hands and I had the same worries when I bought my razer naga but they all went away within about 2 hours. I was able to comfortable use 1-9 on the naga within a few hours, about a week till I got used to using 10-12 on the naga and then about 3 weeks or so till I got used to the 13 and 14 which are next to the left click. I can comfortably use it all day long with no cramping or discomfort and it seems fairly resilient with no signs of breaking. The other 2 I cant comment on really cause ive never used them but I can say the naga doesnt disappoint.

I have large hands as well, and I love my Naga. I haven't been able to get used to using more than 6 of the side buttons regularly, but I add another one occasionally and get used to it. My only complaint about the Naga is that it has no "tilt wheel" or "free spin" like you'd get on a Logitech mouse.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Do you have a pet? If not I highly recommend the R.A.T.7. It's a great mouse, extremely comfortable because you can fit it to your hand specifically. The only problem I had with it is that its optical sensor was far too sensitive. I have a dog that sheds a lot, and if a dog hair got stuck near the sensor it would completely throw it off and it would get stuck on one axis. I took it to work and use it there since there's no dog hair at work! lol.

If you want the exact same thing (I used my G5 until it didn't work too) the new model is the G500. It's what I use now and I love it.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    That R.A.T 7 looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

For those of you with Cyborgs, is there a reason you went with a RAT 7 instead of the MMO 7? I really like it's button placement esp the one that's right where my ring finger rests.

Does anyone have the M90?
    Last edited by Shaidar; 05-14-2012 at 01:10 AM.
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaidyadvice (Raid leading guides and random video games)

Have the M90; the build of the mouse as a whole is awesome, certainly as good as a Logitech. The thumb buttons may be good if you've got big hands, but with my stubby thumb, i can comfortably only reach 4 (in the middle); the ones at the cable end are far out of reach, and the ones at the wrist end feel very awkward to push (it's hard to differentiate between the buttons, and some of them are at strange angles).

Also have the MMO 7. The customization is very nice, and lets you get the buttons in just the right place. However, I'll echo Aggathon's complaint about the sensitivity of the sensor; sometimes the damn thing will just not move up or down until you lift it up and smack it down. And if you're used to the Logitech buttons, these ones don't feel quite as solid. But note, the MMO 7 doesn't have the ring finger button (well, it does, but it's not actually connected...).

Quote Originally Posted by JainZar View Post
    Have the M90; the build of the mouse as a whole is awesome, certainly as good as a Logitech. The thumb buttons may be good if you've got big hands, but with my stubby thumb, i can comfortably only reach 4 (in the middle); the ones at the cable end are far out of reach, and the ones at the wrist end feel very awkward to push (it's hard to differentiate between the buttons, and some of them are at strange angles).

Also have the MMO 7. The customization is very nice, and lets you get the buttons in just the right place. However, I'll echo Aggathon's complaint about the sensitivity of the sensor; sometimes the damn thing will just not move up or down until you lift it up and smack it down. And if you're used to the Logitech buttons, these ones don't feel quite as solid. But note, the MMO 7 doesn't have the ring finger button (well, it does, but it's not actually connected...).
    Excellent, thanks these are just the sort of things I'm interested in hearing. For clarity sake, I thought the ring finger button on the MMO 7 is a "MMO shift" button that allows you to access a new set of key binds for the other buttons. Is that not the case?

Also since you have both I'd like to try and take advantage of that, have you ever had a Logi G5? How do the size of each compare to the G5, I've had this G5 for many many years and I think my muscles and joints are quite well formed to it and I'd like to get more buttons with out having too long of a breaking in period.

I loved my g5. After it died i tried a sidewinder, meh. I now have a g700. It's great. Similar feel to a g5 without the odd side button placement of g500.

I've got a G500, which I think has a near identical sized body to the G5 (it's been an extraordinarily long time since I've known where my G5 was...).

The G500 is 5 inches long, the M90 is 4 3/4 inches long, the MMO 7 varies between roughly 4 and 5 inches, depending on the palm rest. The G500 has a fairly gentle gradient on the palm, so my palm actually sits quite far forward, but the M90 and the MMO 7 have much steeper gradients, so your palm sits much further back.

Button wise, with the G500, I can comfortably reach the back and middle button with a casual grip, but I need to move my hand up and forward to reach the front button, hence the other mice.

http://www.corsair.com/media/HID/Pro...w_Numbered.png

On the M90, I can comfortably reach the buttons 8, 9 and 15; button 12 is reachable, but the button itself feels wrong. 10 and 11 are in just the wrong place, and I need to move my hand back to press them with the thumb knuckle. 7 and 14 are beyond my reach

On the MMO 7, I can reach all the buttons, though the buttons just forward and back of the thumbstick need a little stretching.

Not sure which button you're referring to as the ring finger button; there's a button for your little finger which, AFAIK, does nothing, and a mode selector button to the left of your index finger, which has three options for 3 modes.

Couple of other things; the M90 software isn't bad, but as you noted, doesn't let you bind a keypress. I haven't actually tried that on the MMO 7, as I'm using the default WoW profile file and the in game addon, which has an annoying tendency to switch the bound abilities around randomly. The MMO 7 also doesn't do automatic profile switching, which is surprisingly and extraordinarily annoying.

I honestly didn't know the MMO 7 existed, lol.

As far as size comparison of cyborg vs. g500, then cyborg is definitely wider, even at it's smallest adjustments, the front two buttons are wide, it doesn't really bother me though and I currently have my RAT7 setup so that there is no huge difference between it and my G5 when I get home, it feels just as comfortable.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by JainZar View Post

Not sure which button you're referring to as the ring finger button; there's a button for your little finger which, AFAIK, does nothing, and a mode selector button to the left of your index finger, which has three options for 3 modes.
    The "MMO Shift" key I'm referring to is on the front right side of the mouse seen here just above the "pinky rest": https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/im...0FcDrpX3eOxXYj

My current knowledge indicates that this can be used to fast swap between two binding set ups for each of the 3 modes. You can set it to either change bindings as a toggle or as a modifier (as in the keys only change while the button is depressed). This image shows the 6 bindings in the software Mode 1-3 and Mode 1-3 Shift.

As far as size, I'm not worried about this potential mouse being too large and unless GW2 changes it's stance on not providing a way to bind keys with modifiers I'm afraid I'll want more buttons than the G700 or any of the current logi's provide.

Well if you don't have any pets or anything that might get in the way of the extremely high res sensor (so watch the cheetos and make sure to dust your desk frequently) then it sounds like the MMO7 may be the mouse for you.

Yeah, I'm definately going to be keeping an eye out for deals on it. I read somewhere that someone had found it on newegg at one point for $90 which I can't find any actual evidence of that ever happening. Right now I'm a little hesitant to spend the $130 on it but if I see it anywhere for $20+ less I'll try and grab it to test it if they have decent return policies.

I am using a Logitech MX Revolution. Although designed for home and business use rather than games, I am really liking the setup I have with it. The wheel in the thumbwell was designed with Windows Vista/7 and the document flip in mind. That wheel rocks instead of full rotates. That lets me map pulling down to straffe left and pushing up to straffe right and clicking in to backpeddle. This lets me accomplish full movement on the mouse and all action keybinds with my left hand. I can't imagine doing it any other way now.

Quote Originally Posted by sifuedition View Post
    I am using a Logitech MX Revolution. Although designed for home and business use rather than games, I am really liking the setup I have with it. The wheel in the thumbwell was designed with Windows Vista/7 and the document flip in mind. That wheel rocks instead of full rotates. That lets me map pulling down to straffe left and pushing up to straffe right and clicking in to backpeddle. This lets me accomplish full movement on the mouse and all action keybinds with my left hand. I can't imagine doing it any other way now.
    Yeah, I used to use that mouse, and I clicked the sidewheel to backpedal too. It was awesome. I like my naga though. The buttons don't feel quite as nice as that wheel, but they do the job, and I have more flexibility on top of that.

Plus, my MX Revolutions never lasted more than a year before breaking, and after my most recent one broke, I wasn't able to find a new one with the side wheel.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

+ Reply to Thread