Thread: Heroic Madness Impale Bug?

Heroic Madness Impale Bug?

On heroic madness 10 tonight we started our first real attempts.

I should note I am a warrior tank.

Impale damage seems to be screwy. For example, I would be on the second platform, get Impale and use Shield Wall, then live. Then on the next attempt the same 2nd platform, I would use Shield Wall, I was at full health, and then splat... one shot???

Anyone else having issues with this?

Is this a bug?

Here are logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/731971jdow9q32zg/

Thanks.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Impale hits for 800K, or 640k after the nerf, take 10% for demo, 576k, 10% for defstance is 518.4 nother 10% for inspiration/Ancestral Fortitude is 466.56 with shield wall up is 279k. Except on the time where the second impale killed you you let demo shout run off just before the imaple so it hit you for 311.04k

Just have the hunter use a tenacity pet (like a Beetle or Turtle) for the start of each new platform and spam the following macro when the Mutated Corruption begins to cast Impale to Intervene for an easy ~90k absorb (~125k when the pet has Last Stand available on the first and fourth platforms). Then he can switch back to his ferocity pet.

It's roughly 5 seconds of lost dps from one raider, but is a huge reduction on tank damage for every platform. Just be careful summoning a new pet so that it doesn't get hit by a Crush before it can inherit the hunter's stats and return to regular health.

#showtooltip Intervene
    /petfollow
    /cast Last Stand
    /cast Harden Carapace
    /cast Shell Shield
    /cast [@Bodasafa] Intervene

Nice to see that you killed spine congratz

Solotanked it as dk with a spriest taking the 2nd impales, might be worth it if you can do something similar with your setup, we had our prot warrior go arms. Looking at your logs have the bear tank (with pain supression third platform if needed) and the hunter taking the second impales and just fd.

Warriors do lack cds for impale, the firelands rep trinket can help or a pain supression/hand of sacrifice. You will need a last stand for 3rd/4th platform as well, try to use it early on platform 3 so its available again on platform 4. Should be around 2:50 each platform in my experience so 3 min cds can come up a little short.

We came up with the following CD rotation for me:

1st: SW+LS+Regen
    2nd: SW+Barrier
    3rd SW+LS+Regen
    4th SW+Barrier+Spirit Link+Tranq (we all stack on me for bolt, so we blow all CDs)

I think this might get it done, if not we may try the hunter idea.

We have no S.priest option so that won't fly and I don't do DPS... Tank4life, lol.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Looks good first platform dream+SW is enough and if you stack for the 4th platform anyway you can try to let your hunter take the impale by being closest, he should be able to survive the bolt impact with deterrence and can just fd the impale.

No, you don't need to waste a barrier on impale o.O

SoE is a must. As noted before, you can use LS on 3 out of 4 platforms. On platform 3 you use it with 11 seconds left on Impale timer. And you absolutely have to make sure you have DS up on the Corruption before each hit. Also you never use Regen during Impale because Indom gives you a ~140k physical shield with 6 second to breath (except for cases when the trinket is on CD or if you are tanking 2nd impale on platform 4 for some reason). If you have Spirit Link in the raid, this is what you want to overlap your Regen with.

And please tell me you don't get Spirit Linked before an Impale hits you, that would be one killer shaman Make sure Inspiration is stacked on you before a hit and that you are bubbled.
    Last edited by kopcap; 05-08-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Man I feel like a nub, what is SoE?

Yeah I get I need to make sure Demo is up, will do.

We only use Spirit Link on the 4th platform when we stack for the bolt.

Why not use barrier? Does it not stack with SW? We won't use it till the 4th platform so it will be up again if we use it on the 2nd.

Thanks.

SoE is the rep Firelands trinket, it's 56k off for each Impale.

As for sometimes living with just SW, it has to be buffs from your healers, there are various ones plus shields from healers, Priest shields can be very big.

What class is your other tank, we have two Warriors and we just do: SW, SoE, and Safeguard on every one.

I think for things like Spirit Link and Barrier he was thinking they are better used for group things like the bolt on the 4th platform...or the bloods on the 4th platform which do crazy damage.

I (as a paladin) use (coloured by platform):

Impale 1: other tank
    Impale 2: Dream (50%)/Divine Protection(20%)/WoG shield(50-100k)/Trinket

Impale 3: other tank
    Impale 4: Guardian of AK(50%)/Divine Protection(20%)/WoG shield(40-80k)/Trinket

Impale 5: Ardent Defender(20%)/Divine Protection(20%)/Pain Suppression(40%)/WoG Shield(40-80k)/Trinket
    Impale 6: other tank

Impale 7: Guardian of AK(50%)/Divine Protection(20%)/WoG shield(40-80k)/Trinket
    Impale 8: other tank

Only the last two sometimes cause my Stay of Execution to activate, the rest I remain above 60-70% life.

The important thing is to make sure Demo Shout and Inspiration are up at all times. If one happens to be missing you can be looking at taking Overkill damage.

Funny how post nerf actually makes soaking impales harder because your big CD doesn't have enough time to go off CD, even if you 9 man the boss

Although each nerf also reduces the damage by 5%, and 20% less of 800k is actually quite a lot (640k). That 640k is further reduced.

640k (base)
    576k (-10% demo shout)
    518k (-10% inspiration)
    466k (-10% talented)

We are down to 466k before applying any cooldowns!

going off the general damage reductions available:
    A 60% cooldown turns it into 187k
    A 50% cooldown turns that into 233k.
    A 40% cooldown (pain sup) turns it into 280k
    A 30% cooldown (bubble/sac) turns it into 327k
    A 20% cooldown (Divine Protection) turns it into 373k

A 30% cooldown plus a priest shield should be enough to keep the tank alive (assuming a 300k health pool which isn't unreasonable).