+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PST - Episode 75

I'm Australian and played on American servers, raided on them etc and so on. Sure there were times where there was lag and stuff, but we deal with it.

I also have gaming friends in England who play WoW, but I can't go play with them due to regions.

Like you said Lore, their excuse is lag, but my counter is it would be no difference for me in Australia to play on an English server than it would be for me to play on an American server as I have done for a while.

I do hope they open up and allow us to choose where-ever we choose to play but it may be too late as other games are coming out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Weren't the top ten back in classic on PvP servers (Nihilum, Death and Taxes et al)?
    It may be because I didn't follow the global raiding scene as closely back then but I'm reasonably positive most of the top guilds were on PVE servers. I do remember those two being on PVP.

Honestly, either way, it's not going to be a huge issue. It's not like the only good raiding guilds are on PvP servers -- there are and will be plenty of quality guilds on PvE servers as well. I kind of don't think it's as big of an issue as is being stated.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    A fair point. I kind of expect that would change relatively quickly if world PVP were to become a big thing again, though. It used to be the opposite in classic -- if you wanted to be the best at PVE, you played on a PVE realm.
    When somebody tells me "well don't roll on a pvp server" I want to ask them if they have a time machine so that I can go back 7 years... because that's when I made that choice. And rerolling on a pve server isn't an option as that would mean ditching the guild that I've been a part of since launch and all of the friends I have made in those years, i.e. a big part of the reason I still play the game in the first place. So I don't think it's fair to throw decisions people made nearly a decade ago in their face. Mind you, I'm not going to complain about getting ganked here or there. I'll gladly accept some consequences for being on a pvp server, but I won't accept my raid being disrupted. If I get ganked while questing, I can just come back at another time or choose to fight it out or whatever. But we have a very limited time that we set aside for raiding. It requires everyone to adjust their schedules. So with HGWT gone and flying mounts being limited in MoP, I'm worried that my raid is going to be significantly delayed by gankers blockading paths to raid instances.

We only raid 2 1/2 hours twice a week, so delays can significantly affect our ability to progress. We are a 10 man guild, and the last time we had a warlock was T11. So lets say we still don't have one and alliance are outside controlling the summoning stone. If someone is late to the raid (which is fairly common), the removal of HGWT means that we have no way of summoning them to the raid. So we're going to have to wait additional time for them to travel, plus any time added by ganking.

If blizzard would put summoning stones inside instances and/or allow additional classes to summon players, then I would feel a lot better about the removal of HGWT.

P.S. Maybe you could add an engineering item that lets you summon people kind of like Jeeves lets you repair.
    Last edited by Zoltar; 04-23-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Unless they come up with a way for the opposite faction to enter your raid instance, I don't see world pvp having a huge effect on your raid.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Man people are going banana's over HGWT. I personally LOVE that it's gone and can't wait to hear all of my raiders bitch about having to fly to the instance. I believe Lore is right, it WILL force people to takes some personal responsibility for themselves which is imho always a good thing. The laziness promoted in Cataclysm has been a pervasive detriment to the game and has only made it a worse and ultimately boring experience.

Finally PvP servers were successfully raiding long before HGWT ... I see no reason to believe it's going to cause an issue now.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Quote Originally Posted by feralminded View Post
    Man people are going banana's over HGWT. I personally LOVE that it's gone and can't wait to hear all of my raiders bitch about having to fly to the instance. I believe Lore is right, it WILL force people to takes some personal responsibility for themselves which is imho always a good thing. The laziness promoted in Cataclysm has been a pervasive detriment to the game and has only made it a worse and ultimately boring experience.
    I completely agree.

It was great at first. And it is really handy when something stupid happens. And its really nice because we don't often run a lock, and that can be lame swapping folks out, or when someone needs to respec between fights.

But, every single night we have people logging in at raid time, then going to repair, check ah for potions, reforging, checking the mailbox, etc. The biggest is people go afk while waiting for a summons, and then miss the summons. And then someone misses the second summons etc. I would bet that we would actually gain some serious time if no HGWT existed.

Plus, as the person who did almost all our summoning, it was awesome to fly through hyjal to do so. I remember fondly the chaos of first day of cata, and the phasing, and the rag confrontation. Remembering THAT and then going to say hello to him, was so satisfying.

HGWT is a perfect example of the type of thing where blizzard screws up by giving players what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Unless they come up with a way for the opposite faction to enter your raid instance, I don't see world pvp having a huge effect on your raid.
    Maybe, unless they bring back something like blackrock mountain where the entrance isn't easily accessible.

I definately think that WoW should bring back attunements. The problem with 24 people needing to get that 1 person the attunement problem was already figured out in EQ. If a certain percentage (lets say 80%) or roughly 20 people of the raid is attuned they can bring in 5 unattuned raiders. Once a specific boss was killed the non-attuned person would then become attuned and all is well. Just my 2 cp.

Thinking about coming back to WoW......just not until I get burnt out on D3 =P.

+ Reply to Thread