+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PST - Episode 75

PST - Episode 75

This week:
    0:22 - Could WoW allow people to play on other regions?
    5:21 - What's going on with hunter pet talents in MoP?
    12:58 - What do you think about the removal of "Have Group, Will Travel"?
    17:56 - Would Symbiosis be better if it didn't give an extra spell to the other class?
    21:38 - Should attunements be reintroduced to the game?
    30:13 - How do you feel about content that only the best of the best can see?
    36:20 - How many people on a bench is too many?
    43:30 - Does world PvP need a dishonor system to prevent ganking?
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

My thoughts:

Question 1: I do like your suggestion about global play. It would have to be done through your battlenet though and they shouldn't just have all servers global. I have played other games like SWtoR and CoH that have all region servers in the same area. The problem with that is the do Maintenance at the best times for the US players, leaving many players having it go on during their prime time. I would not like WoW to go the same way.

Question 3: Removing Have Group Will Travel gets people back out into the world? I don't think so. I would hardly call the limited time it takes to get to a raid instance getting players back out into the world. In my opinion it is just nothing but an annoyance. I don't think removing this power will give the Intended effect.
    I do agree with you in the regard that it does make raiders a little late though. Raiders should be already there at start time, not waiting for an summon. I do however feel that the negatives of removing this do outweigh the pros.

I am also not buying this "removing have group will travel gets people back into the world" thing.

Most players will be making a coffee whilst flying and won't see the world at all. If Blizzard thinks this helps players see the world then they should also remove portals and hugely increase the cooldown on hearthstones. In fact - get rid of hearthstones entirely or perhaps limit them to lower level characters only.

If you want people to see the world then here is a novel idea: make interesting content in the world!!!

Flying times (afk times) are a dumb solution. It is pure time sink and time sink hits those who are time poor more than those who are time rich. Granted travel times aren't that long but still I don't believe in making changes that completely fail in terms of the original reasoning behind them.

They should provide genuine content and not fake padding.

What about merging 5 and 6 together?

Optional bosses that are only available on normal/hardmode and require some sort of personal attunement to be able to see it?
    It doesn't have to be a crazy difficult boss that only 0.1% of players will kill whilst it is relevant, but it could be something Lore based that you can not kill by just queuing for it and you'd need to do the quest chain first.

I think the best way to get people into the open world, is exactly what Toypop said: Make fun content in the open world. Bringing back world bosses is a great start. As long as they keep adding more. World events, similar to Rift, would be fun to. The novelty might wear off and it won't be as busy as when it is first released, but it would be enough to get some people out of the cities.

At this time in the game, the only times I leave the cities is when I'm farming herbs/ore/leather or during a holiday event. There's just not much reason to go out of the cities anymore. Not that that is always a bad thing. Sometimes just sitting in queue in a city is all I feel like doing. But, when I feel like doing something more than an instance, my options are pretty limited and range from "slightly boring" to "excessively boring."

Also, I think it would be great if they brought back dishonorable kills. Maybe adjusted from what they used to be. But it was a nice system to prevent continuous ganking.

brain death only adds to PST

In relation to Q6 and hardcore content, would content not being open to the "casual" majority really put it at that much of a risk? WoW prospered through classic and TBC (and arguably sections of WOTLK, Naxx was a joke, but ulduar certainly wasn't) with raids that were exclusively for the people willing to put in the time and effort to be "hardcore".

I can certainly understand not wanting entire instances like that and I'm certainly not advocating removing LFR, but would moving "heroic" modes back to that level (Which I thought was blizzards original intention for creating them, so that normals could be more accessible) really do any harm?

Of course you would want a Lore-centered game.

21:38 - Should attunements be reintroduced to the game?
    Glad you selected this one. Interesting way of looking at it. The only problem I really see is that ultimately, it'll become a thorn in the side. Raiders will complain about it as being "fluff" that they have to do in order to go do what they want. Think of how it was when you had to clear out parts of Hyjal just to access the 4.2 daily zones. I think attunements will be received similarly.

30:13 - How do you feel about content that only the best of the best can see?
    I'm pretty much in agreement. Why not give a tip of the hat like this to the hardcore crowd? Sinestra is a great example. Heroic Rag.... probably should have been another "Sinestra" judging from how the difficulty scaled vs the rest of t12 heroic. Algalon is another great example. The only issue I see is that the raiding community might feel compelled to make them part of the "progression". It'll no longer be "bonus round", but will become kind of what heroic Rag became...... the passing grade. I really don't recall EVER seeing as much angst around a boss as I saw with that one, and it really came to be the "bar" that serious guilds looked at. I think the key here would be that you'd have to follow the Sinestra model. Heroic clear required to get to it.... and not counted as part of the actual raid instance for the instance achievement.

Really though..... I go back to what I've said before.
    LFR for gen pop.
    Normal for solid challenge for the 80%.
    Heroic for the top 10-20%.... and unforgivingly difficult. Let heroic be the "pro-level".

No one tanks in a void.........

While I agree in principle with the idea of "PVP on a PVP server", I don't think it works out that way in practice. Most of the time, it seems, people go where their friends are and/or where the guild they want to raid with is. For example: when WoW came out, a friend of mine rolled on a pvp server with his Tribes buddies. I went there when I started playing so I could play with him (and stuck around when I started raiding with the guild). My wife rolled there to play with me, and a couple of her friends rolled there to play with her, and the story ends with a couple of very frustrated new players being camped (along with all the quest NPCs) inside Honor Hold for an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Impeesa View Post
    While I agree in principle with the idea of "PVP on a PVP server", I don't think it works out that way in practice. Most of the time, it seems, people go where their friends are and/or where the guild they want to raid with is. For example: when WoW came out, a friend of mine rolled on a pvp server with his Tribes buddies. I went there when I started playing so I could play with him (and stuck around when I started raiding with the guild). My wife rolled there to play with me, and a couple of her friends rolled there to play with her, and the story ends with a couple of very frustrated new players being camped (along with all the quest NPCs) inside Honor Hold for an hour.
    Yeah, at that point it kind of gets into the question of "should world PVP be in world of warcraft at all" which branches into "should there even be pvp servers" and so on

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Yeah, at that point it kind of gets into the question of "should world PVP be in world of warcraft at all" which branches into "should there even be pvp servers" and so on
    Given the fact that nobody seems to know what "World PvP" actually is, what people really want out of it, and how it could be implemented, I think that is a very fair question.

Out of the 4-5 characters I have levelled to 85 on a PvP server (fairly well stocked alliance side, but a definite horde bias), I can count the amount of times an alliance has attacked me using only the fingers on one hand. I think there would be an outcry if Blizzard were to come out and say "We are converting all PvP realms into PvE", but ultimately I don't think anything much would change as a result (meaning that PvP realms are already pretty much PvE). So long as Blizzard gives no incentive to go out in the world (i.e. keeps things like dungeon finder, portals in hub cities etc. in the game) world PvP will be non-existent except for the odd griefer. And griefing isn't PvP anyway. PvP griefing is like going to a Kindergarten and bullying the kids into giving you their sweets.

With regards to the PvP issue, I spent a year on a PvP server during classic as friends had started to level there. I quite enjoyed meeting random people in the world and there was always that will they/won't they attack moment when you met them. For someone who is bad at pvp (even before resilience was introduced) I did enjoy myself.

What I did wonder is what possible benefit is there to someone (or in fact the game) who is, for the sake of argument 30 levels above you coming into your questing zone and just killing you for the sake of killing you! A what point does it stop being PvP and start becoming "griefing"?

When I started on the particular server I was on a simple /who Orgrimmar would produce around 20 returns on a week night, so when Blizzard GM's stated the Blizzard policy was "not to get involved when there was a PvP solution!" so one night after watching Crossroads suffer for over an hour and a half at the hands of roughly a full 40 man raid, I ticketed a GM who gave me that answer. I replied to him "type in /who Orgrimmar and tell me where the PvP solution is?" after a brief pause he said "yeah I understand but there is noting I can do, sorry!"

It my experience with people I have spoken to in game and in the forums is that people go to low level zones not to practice their skills or gain some kind of benefit for their faction but simply to ruin someone's experience in game. Maybe I sound a little bitter (lol) but these people are the reason that very soon the people who dragged me to a pvp server soon left and I was the only one who actually managed to get to 60 (glutton for punishment lol) soon I left too and went back to my original PvE server and have never looked back.

p.s. I went back once about a yeah after TBC had been released, I managed to get one quest outside Thrallmar completed before a level 70 Gnome rouge dropped out of the skill and one shotted me while I was still wearing my rubbish gear from classic, I never went back to get the corpse lol

Its kind of disengenuos to say dont role on a pvp server,. If you want to do any sort of progression pve you kinda have to join a pvp realm or waste alot of money on server transfers if you stick withj pve. All the top progressed realms for pve are high pop pvp realms ( only 2 pve realms in the top 20) .
    That being said most of those realms are highly imbalanced to the point they are essentially pve realms = illidian / mal'ganis.
    Its kinda funny how on beta gilnaes has less than 10% population of the pve realms.

Hey Lore,

While I like the answer you gave on question 6 and think that having normal only and HC only bosses is a good thing, (because I actually think it may encourage people to go one step further and jump into a higher dificulty) I think you sort of missed the point of the question.

I may be wrong, so I will just directly ask what I want to know.

What do you think about a very hard boss (Maybe with even a normal and hc mode) that does not drop Loot. Maybe he drops a mount, maybe some title or even transmog Gear. So that you are not forced to do it, even if you're hardcore, and its not even part of your progression, but its something extra with a cool e-peen reward.

Of course its an idea to do once in a while since they obviously dont want to create a cool boss and waste money on it if no one ends up doing it.

Finally I have a question about having to clear normal before HC mode.

From previous PST/Marmots/Legendary I think you don't agree with this. And I understand why, but you did bring an interesting point this week that I never though about. Even if you can go to HC mode on week one.. wont people clear normal mode first anyway so they get to know how the bosses work and all that?

If they do then its the same thing. Maybe only Vodkas And Methods and all those will go directly to HC mode. I dunno.

Or maybe it makes no sense to do normal if you can do HC day 1. If you can't simply kill it, go do normal I guess.

PS: Sorry if it makes no sense, my english vocabulary fails me at times like this and my spelling is not something I am proud of.

Anyway thanks for the episode, enjoyed it as usual! Keep up the good work.

Blizzard's reasoning for removing HGWT is totally bogus. The real reason they are getting rid of it is that they are putting world bosses back in the game. With HGWT, as soon as you spot the boss you can have your raid formed and summoned in under a minute. This would lead to massive QQ as it would put guilds that aren't level 25 at a massive disadvantage for world bosses. Just imagine the outrage when you are the first person to spot a world boss, and you give the word to your guild. They start riding or flying. there. Then some other dude shows up. He casts his HGWT, summons his guild there and they kill the boss while your buddies are still halfway to your location.

So yea, the primary reason they are getting rid of it is world bosses, not some crap about getting people out of cities. That's a joke.

My understanding is that the SEA WoW servers are in the same building as the US West servers. Certainly, the latency from .au is the same and more or less the same as playing US SWTOR servers. The SEA SWTOR servers *are* in .au, which is my I'm moving my eight toons from Wound and the 250 ms latency to the SEA servers and the 40ms latency.
    Sic nos rodunt omnes gentes
    Et sic erimus egentes
    Qui nos rodunt confundantur
    Et cum iustis non scribantur

Quote Originally Posted by yeezy View Post
    Its kind of disengenuos to say dont role on a pvp server,. If you want to do any sort of progression pve you kinda have to join a pvp realm or waste alot of money on server transfers if you stick withj pve. All the top progressed realms for pve are high pop pvp realms ( only 2 pve realms in the top 20) .
    That being said most of those realms are highly imbalanced to the point they are essentially pve realms = illidian / mal'ganis.
    Its kinda funny how on beta gilnaes has less than 10% population of the pve realms.
    A fair point. I kind of expect that would change relatively quickly if world PVP were to become a big thing again, though. It used to be the opposite in classic -- if you wanted to be the best at PVE, you played on a PVE realm.

symbiosis balance

havent look over all of info on symbiosis and its effects, but 1 possible balance would be a total swap out of the spells.
    druid gains mirror image but loses healing touch
    mage gains healing touch but loses mirror image

just an idea, but feedback on pros/cons of this = awesome

thx

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    A fair point. I kind of expect that would change relatively quickly if world PVP were to become a big thing again, though. It used to be the opposite in classic -- if you wanted to be the best at PVE, you played on a PVE realm.
    Weren't the top ten back in classic on PvP servers (Nihilum, Death and Taxes et al)?

+ Reply to Thread