+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Weekly Marmot - Symbiosis

I maintain Symbiosis needs to be completely reworked. I had some thoughts on the ability as I walked to class and once I have them more concrete, I'll post them so I don't look like too much of an idiot for not thinking something through.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemanorel View Post
    I wonder how many LFR druids will Symbiosis other druids because thats what mages do with Focus Magic?
    I remember trying to bribe mages with Power Infusion to get Focus Magic back in Wrath, hardly ever worked :/

Quote Originally Posted by Kemanorel View Post
    I wonder how many LFR druids will Symbiosis other druids because thats what mages do with Focus Magic?
    Druids aren't valid targets for Symbiosis so we can't cast it on each other.

As somenone else posted, it's important to remember that the abilitys granted by Symbiosis aren't exact copys of the original abilitys, most of the once that sound really OP are actually weaker versions of the abilitys they copy, IE Feint gives 20% damage reduction from AoE for the druid instead of 50% that the rouge version gives.

Quote Originally Posted by superjawes View Post
    Good point and solution...but I still feel like the target should get something for giving out an ability like that. Maybe your target could get a buff to healing, mana regen, dps, or reduce damage taken whenever the druid uses your ability, and the buff would be dependent on your role.
    This sounds familiar...oh right, I had this idea at the top of pg 2. Regardless, it's still a good idea and I'm glad others agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhastia View Post
    This sounds familiar...oh right, I had this idea at the top of pg 2. Regardless, it's still a good idea and I'm glad others agree with me.
    It's still a terrible idea for the same reason that the current implementation of Dark Intent (and to a lesser extent Focus Magic) is a terrible idea. You either balance people around having the Symbiosis buff (and therefore they are weak without it) or you balance them around not having it (and they're OP with it).

Single-person buffs ARE A BAD IDEA.

They went a long way down the path of removing them (changing DI and removing FM, and even changing Vigilance to be a single target cooldown rather than buff) and then decided that adding a new one was a good idea. It looks an awful lot like a case of the right hand not talking to the left.

There's almost no chance that anything like the current Symbiosis makes it into the final product. It will ALWAYS have balance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    It's still a terrible idea for the same reason that the current implementation of Dark Intent (and to a lesser extent Focus Magic) is a terrible idea. You either balance people around having the Symbiosis buff (and therefore they are weak without it) or you balance them around not having it (and they're OP with it).

Single-person buffs ARE A BAD IDEA.

They went a long way down the path of removing them (changing DI and removing FM, and even changing Vigilance to be a single target cooldown rather than buff) and then decided that adding a new one was a good idea. It looks an awful lot like a case of the right hand not talking to the left.

There's almost no chance that anything like the current Symbiosis makes it into the final product. It will ALWAYS have balance issues.
    That isn't necessarily true. You have to imagine that a druid will always use symbiosis, but if the effect on the target was just a straight buff under certain circumstances, that damage can be directly attributed to the druid and not the target.

The issue with DI and FM is that they aren't straight damage buffs, so the percent added to haste or crit can do strange things. Hast in particular decreases cast times and can add an extra tick on a DoT, which means that SPriest DPS goes up in discrete intervals as haste increases (and those discrete intervals aren't necessarily worth the same amount of DPS. Crit can behave similarly with how crit procs work.

So depending on how the buff to target happens, it could still work without crashing balance. Mastery might be an elegant solution, since it almost always results in a direct buff to damage, healing, or damage mitigation.

Also, yes, you posted a good idea, Rhastia

+ Reply to Thread