Thread: MoP World Bosses idea

MoP World Bosses idea

So i had an idea on how to make world bosses an epicenter of both PvP and PvE. Here's the jist of it:

1. The gurubashi arena dude spawns a super chest that contains, among the normal gurubashi arena loot, a special item.

2. Players go in and loot the chest, that item is used to spawn one of the world bosses. It has 30 minutes duration. These chests spawn ever 30 minutes.

3. Lets asume there are 5 world bosses, until all 5 world bosses are down the super chest will continue to spawn every half an hour. Guilds and pugs will be fighting over that chest to loot it.

4. Whoever summons the world boss gets the loot, attibuted to all players in the same raid group as the summoner at the spawn moment. So joetheninja leaving midfight won't matter.

5. Resetting the boss despawns it, players must go back to the arena and loot the chest again. Remember that chests will continue to spawn until all 5 bosses are dead.

Notes:

-"Spawning" means a way to engage the boss, not necessarily make it appear, some bosses may be super-invincible and that item simply makes them "vulnerable" and thus killable, another boss may simply turn from friendly to hostile... Any mechanic can be used so it makes sense lore-wise.

-This forces players to engage in FFA PvP over the chest and bosses, players are encouraged to follow the raids and sabotage their attempts so they can get another chance at the chest. I believe this could make for alot of fun and drama over these world bosses.

-Loot has to matter, some heroic token or a mount or title or rare materials or something. This has to have a good enough reward so players come back every week to do it in masses.

-There should be daily quests with conquest-cap-bonus or honour rewards to kill players at the chest or an engaged world boss. Have as many people go out and fight other players, weekly quests for those bosses, archievements like "kill all 5 world bosses in the same day", "disrupt 10 world boss attempts", "loot the chest", "kill 100 players near the chest", etc... This could lead to alot of groups forming, guilds competing and an overall increase in social activity (with lots of player deaths ).
    Last edited by frag971; 04-14-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Because griefing other guilds wasn't bad enough the first two packs of raiding?
    While technicly a good idea, the amount of effort to balance it as well as constant anti-griefing adjustments make it unlikely to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    Because griefing other guilds wasn't bad enough the first two packs of raiding?
    While technicly a good idea, the amount of effort to balance it as well as constant anti-griefing adjustments make it unlikely to happen.
    Why there should be anti-griefing? The whole point of this is to have player competition, griefing being a part of it. Look at EVE Online, i know it's not the same but all it takes is for Blizzard to say "*Gary Ganon* Working-as-intended.".

Back in Classic there had to be anti-griefing mechanics because it wasn't designed around griefing, it was a naive idea that had to be fixed/abandoned due to the reality of open PvP. Designing this so the whole point is actually having players killing eachother and the PvE boss is just the incentive should make it work well, then why not?

There should be anti-griefing because griefers are bullies - they'll burn whatever they can burn for no other reason than to see things burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

I firmly believe that if they are bringing back World Bosses, they need to resurrect the Lord Kazzak rule. If you interfere with another raid's boss fight, you get a suspension. Especially if the boss is in a normal zone, on a PvE server you have neither the opportunity nor the capability to fight off any intruders if they leave their PvP flag off. What do you do then?

They're just trying to get people away from sitting around the cities, and get back in the world (besides to farm) once they're done leveling. I think bringing back world bosses will help. If the rewards are good enough, both factions will form groups and fight off each other for them. I don't see trying to mess up the other faction's attempt as griefing. If it was really that crucial to avoid interference, the boss could just be in an instance. This is a different, entertaining type of gameplay and is pretty memorable when you get a good battle an then down the boss.The major difference between MoP and classic is that everyone has flying mounts. If you really want to break up an attempt, 5+ dps could swoop in and one shot a tank or healer. Before, you would have to set up a line of pvp raiders to block the other faction from encroaching. This could be avoided if you just put the bosses in caves or forts or something with a choke point (or have it as a no flow zone like TB). However, it's pretty cool to suddenly have an enormous boss in the middle of nowhere screaming his head off.

In Rift you can have same-side griefing as well, it was really irritating. One of the other major guilds on my server somehow got a bug up their ass about us and while we were doing an open-world event that we had to pay reagents to make available, their raid group showed up. There were these mobs that would one shot people if an orb wasn't channeled by the tank, so it had to be kited and once the channel was done it would come back. Well after said channel, one of their tanks would ride in and taunt it and run away. The mob would then evade and reset, come back and oneshot everyone. GMs didn't do a thing about it. I didn't like Rift anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I don't see trying to mess up the other faction's attempt as griefing.
    At least you can do something about the opposite faction when on a PvP server. But when a horde group is griefing a horde group, you can do eff all about it.

I think a good idea for a world boss would be a boss that is the very aspect of the earth. He would be a massive dragon we would need to force him down down to the ground by riding his back and slowly push him to the point of death!

That would be an awesome world boss!
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    ...to the ground...
    Ahhh, paladin flashbacks!

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    I think a good idea for a world boss would be a boss that is the very aspect of the earth. He would be a massive dragon we would need to force him down down to the ground by riding his back and slowly push him to the point of death!

That would be an awesome world boss!
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    And then some random guy could steal our kill!
    Naw man, only those summoning the boss would be able to kill. Griefers would be able to simply reset the boss, if the boss dies the loot goes to those who summoned it.

Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    Naw man, only those summoning the boss would be able to kill. Griefers would be able to simply reset the boss, if the boss dies the loot goes to those who summoned it.
    Dude.... slap yourself for not getting that joke.

Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    That went right over your head didn't it :/

Thrall kill-stealing at Madness is sort of a running gag round these parts

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    That went right over your head didn't it :/

Thrall kill-stealing at Madness is sort of a running gag round these parts
    Ah i see, i quit raiding on the second week when i killed madness and did a few hardmodes :P

Quote Originally Posted by Docinabox View Post
    If the rewards are good enough, both factions will form groups and fight off each other for them. I don't see trying to mess up the other faction's attempt as griefing.
    Having not been there, I can't say for sure, but the people I know who WERE there imply that there was good stuff going on around the vanilla world bosses and that other raid groups, in general, wouldn't interfere with each others attempts. If that was because of the server community or not I can't say, but I just don't see today's community behaving similarly (assuming such romanticism was true).

There are a lot of people out there who only seem to derive pleasure from ruining things for others. For that reason, though I love the idea, I worry about the implementation of world bosses.
    Unwavering Sentinel: Tales of a Protection Warrior Running Wild.
    http://unwaveringsentinel.blogspot.co.uk

Back then there was much more of a community feeling on the server I played on. Being a dick meant that you got blacklisted by all the large guilds on the realm, and you couldn't up sticks and go because there were no server transfers, no re-names, no faction transfers. Thus people by and large weren't dicks because being so had real and heavy consequences. You also had Blizzard's aggressive banning policy regarding Lord Kazzak (if you interfered with another group's attempt and wiped them you entered the punishment pyramid at the 72 hour suspension).