+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: over my ctc i think not sure which way to go

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    117

    over my ctc i think not sure which way to go

    hi guys worked my ctc to 103.43 taking into account my trinket resolve of undying (i think) not sure whats best now stam or Ap if someone would not mind looking would appreciate any hlp thx

    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...c3%a9nn/simple

    thx ishamael

  2. #2
    As a paladin, once you're over CTC, you have two options: stamina or avoidance. There's been some debate on the topic but I prefer stamina.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    117
    cool thx mate

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Karlsruhe/Germany
    Posts
    4,016
    There's been some debate on the topic but I prefer stamina.
    Seconded.

    Just saying, you are 272 mastery rating (using dodge food) above CTC cap when raid buffed. Get a stamina trinket instead of the dodge stacking trinket and you are still CTC capped with 26 mastery rating too much. With Mastery food you are 86 rating above the cap without the stacking dodge trinket.

    If you want to simulate raid buffs, click on the link in my sig to go to the excel spreadsheet I made.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    117
    cool thx again i got lfr soulshifter vortex so will go with that tyvm for the hlp

    ishamael

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,966
    Just to touch on something from the Firstpost, Attack Power (AP) is not something tanks particularly value, Mainly becuase our attacks usaully scale pretty damn badly with them. With a 2.6 speed weapon your weapon based attacks scale at around 14% AP, Consercration scales at 27% AP, judging SoI is 16%, SoT is 14%, HoW is 15%. AS and ShotR are ~100% AP, which sounds relatively good, until you factor in you prolly have nigh 30K AP in a raid scenario, and its hard to get a pretty significant increase to that amount; even assuming you had 100% uptime on something like landslides 1kAP thats only a 3% increase in AP, and you're gonna have to stack haste pretty damn high to get 100% uptime on landslide

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    There's been some debate on the topic but I prefer stamina.
    I never understood how anybody ever debated this. Avoidance does not help you against the "Tank Killing Laser of DOOM" that you need to survive through on 5/8 boss encounters. 6 encounters if you want to count Morchoks' stomp, and maybe some mechanics on H Spine i don't know about.
    So yeah, get your CTC as close to 102.4 as you can, as efficiently as you can, and then stack stamina over that. Usually if you can get it below 102.45 that's sufficient, but never let it drop below .40

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,966
    its about mana efficiency versus burst time., not all bosses are about the burst time for every raid setup.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the cloud.
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    I never understood how anybody ever debated this. Avoidance does not help you against the "Tank Killing Laser of DOOM" that you need to survive through on 5/8 boss encounters. 6 encounters if you want to count Morchoks' stomp, and maybe some mechanics on H Spine i don't know about.
    So yeah, get your CTC as close to 102.4 as you can, as efficiently as you can, and then stack stamina over that. Usually if you can get it below 102.45 that's sufficient, but never let it drop below .40
    This, and some fights it's fine to drop below CTC. I'd count heroic Ultraxxion, the Unsleeping, Zonozz and probably Madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,966
    Ultraxxion's weird though, i'd not want to be unhittable, so as a pally i wouldn't drop below 102.4%, as a warrior i'd drop down to as low as 77.4%

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    117
    cool thx for all the advice guys hlps a lot

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    This, and some fights it's fine to drop below CTC. I'd count heroic Ultraxxion, the Unsleeping, Zonozz and probably Madness.
    Yeah, trinket swap fights and fights with some specific mechanics that effect you priorities. Though i would argue the value of CTC on Zonozz. That guy punches like a truck with high stacks and as long as your healers are on top of things you don't really need to do much to survive his TKLoD as long as you have a 220k health pool fully buffed. Though i suppose it could go the other way if you're using mirror(?) for the Laser of Doom and then just roughing the melee hits? IDK though, this might just be my post-nerf perspective.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,632
    Given the nerfs it changes things a bit.

    Pre nerfs I wanted to make sure I was passive CTC then stacked stamina beyond.

    After the nerfs rolled out I went pure stamina regardless of CTC. It helped a lot while we were progressing on hagara since Focused Attacks is purely a test of your EH.

    However, now that we are working heroic spine, being the blood tank I found stacking mastery again (even considering the HP debuff after killing amalgs) "feels" safer. I compared logs from x2 10:40 attempts and found I was actually taking a hair more damaged with the CTC set up (which makes no sense). Perhaps we just had more bloods out.

    In any event the CTC or pure Stam set up for 6/8 heroic seems the same either way, we still farm it and I don't feel in danger.

    Of course this is all from a warrior prospective, which is somewhat similar. We just value mastery past CTC for obvious reasons.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

  14. #14
    I prefer Stam as well. I swapped from hybridized CTC/Stam when we got to H Madness pre-nerf, as the impales hit for ~1.2 Million on 25 man. Pure Stam stacking meant that I could survive without using a Disc Priest if need be (Shield Wall, Sac, Last Stand). I can also still reach CTC with Resolve and Fire. This swap is two-fold: Gemming pure stam and swapping to CTC trinkets when necessary works out to more overall HP than doing it the other way around, Souldrinker heals for more and hits harder the higher your HP is.

    Really you only need CTC cap for 2 fights at this point, H Warmaster and H Spine add kiting. Otherwise, most encounters have unblockable mechanics that favour stam (Stomp, Zonozz Beam, Focused Attack, Yorsahj DoT, Impale).

    In my setup:

    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Arij/advanced

    97.78 CTC full stam gear with stam trinkets. (Mastery proc from Soulshifter more than CTC caps you here at 123.98 CTC, but 2 min ICD makes it rather useless overall for the purpose).
    105.25 CTC with Resolve and Fire (Resolve has a 100% uptime)

    I keep a weapon with Windwalk on it for H Spine (H Hand of Morchok) with a Stam gem in it. This axe adds a bit of extra CTC if you are still low with Souldrinker.
    Last edited by Raij; 04-18-2012 at 08:24 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    I never understood how anybody ever debated this.
    At the post linked below there was plenty of discussion (though im not quite sure what we discussed the entire time) when i tried to argue that we would be stacking more stamina in later stages of cata (before everyone was already doing it and it was quite obviously the standard approach).


    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?77707-Ramblings-on-tanking-history-and-present-itemization-(DANGER-10-page-long-post-).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    offtopic:
    Ok. So, every time i tried to make a link called "this post" to that thread i got this gibberish when i posted:
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E]showthread.php?77707-Ramblings-on-tanking-history-and-present-itemization-(DANGER-10-page-long-post-).] this post

    But example links like TankSpot work.
    Can someone be kind enough to enlighten me as to what im doing wrong?
    Im guessing there is some forbidden character in the link or something...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Karlsruhe/Germany
    Posts
    4,016
    Quote Originally Posted by aresius View Post
    At the post linked below there was plenty of discussion (though im not quite sure what we discussed the entire time) when i tried to argue that we would be stacking more stamina in later stages of cata (before everyone was already doing it and it was quite obviously the standard approach).


    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?77707-Ramblings-on-tanking-history-and-present-itemization-(DANGER-10-page-long-post-).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    offtopic:
    Ok. So, every time i tried to make a link called "this post" to that thread i got this gibberish when i posted:
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E]showthread.php?77707-Ramblings-on-tanking-history-and-present-itemization-(DANGER-10-page-long-post-).] this post

    But example links like TankSpot work.
    Can someone be kind enough to enlighten me as to what im doing wrong?
    Im guessing there is some forbidden character in the link or something...
    you do it like this:


    [URL="http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?77707-Ramblings-on-tanking-history-and-present-itemization-(DANGER-10-page-long-post)."][COLOR=#3E3E3E]this post[/color][/url]

    to produce this:

    this post


    Attribute tags ([size][b][i][u][color=#xxxxxx] etc) get nestled around the replacement text inside the [url] tag

    This is what you posted:

    [/COLOR][COLOR=#3E3E3E][URL="http://www.tankspot.com/[/COLOR"]showthread.php?77707-Ramblings-on-tanking-history-and-present-itemization-(DANGER-10-page-long-post-).[/URL][COLOR=#3E3E3E][URL="http://www.tankspot.com/[/COLOR"]] this post

    [/URL][/COLOR]


    Oh, and if you need to have vbcode not parsed, use the [noparse] tag around the whole thing.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 04-19-2012 at 05:32 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts