+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for advice from more experienced tanks.

Looking for advice from more experienced tanks.

Hi all.

I'm a new tank, having only been doing it for about a month now. I'm just over the CTC with Mastery food and Elixir of the Master, along with standard raid buffs. Last week was the first time my guild has downed Madness on reg difficulty and I was planning to try and get some heroic attempts in this weekend, but I want to make sure my current setup is suitable.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Raiyuki/simple

I'll be getting both the cape and ranged from valor once I have the time to cap this week, most likely tomorrow.

Any advice or suggestions for improvement are greatly appreciated.

Being CTC is good. can't really spot much with your gear that you need to change. Veil of lies isn;t the best trinket in the tier, but t will do. I personally balance my CTC around hahing Mirror of Broken Images equipped (the TB trinket) since it 's quite nice.

I would shift up your spec a little as HCs are a lot easier when the tank is pulling nice DPS too. You want 3/3 Incite. Its one of your best threat talents and on any fight where you have the boss 100% of the time Heroic Strike should be your largest source of damage, and Incite is only talent that directly buffs it. You really should be pressing HS (and IR) on CD, so if at any point you're not able to press it because you don't have the rage you need more rage, so you probably should max out Shield Specialization as well. ideally you'll take the points from Gag order (bosses can't be silenced) and either Imp.Revenge (stop using revenge) or Thunderstruck. Dropping Imp. Revenge is generally the better choice for DPS, but with the 2pc, it does offer a modicum of survivablity so the choice is down to you which you drop. I'd also swap out one of the shout minor glyphs for zerker rage, more rage is more rage which means more HS

I have the Mirror in my bags, something I always carry just in case. Veil is there because nothing else has dropped, I've heard Indomitable Pride is a good upgrade over it but I've yet to see it drop. I have terrible RNG luck.

I don't usually have the boss 100% of the time as whenever only one tank is needed, I'm the one to go DPS, but I'll invest in these suggestions and try out which work best for me. I personally never knew Revenge wasn't recommended, I tend to use it every so often because of the 2pc personally.

The problem with Revenge is that its our "cheap" ability and generally on any progression fight the tank will be getting battered, which means prot will have lots of rage. thing is revenge isn't really cheap in the grand scheme of things, sure every time you replace a Dev with a Rev you save 10 rage. Functionally revenge has a 6 second CD so you're gonna squeeze at most 10 of them in a minute saving 100rage every minute, saving 1.666 rage per second, which could mean 3 more heroic strikes per minute. However if your worried about rage you don't heroic strike, making the rage saving moot unless you aren't very good at managing heroic strike. The advantage of Devastate is that it has a lot of crit support; 5% form its glyph and 15% from the SnB talent, Revenge has no crit support. This means that Devastate is a lot more likely to proc Deep wounds increasing the average damage you get each time you press Devastate. If i recall my number right Revenge scales somewhere around 31%AP, whislt Devastate only aclaes at around 14% AP, howver devastate aslo scales very well with weapon damage. Revenge does not scale very well (or at all if you skipped DW) and it turns out that that the increase in wepaon damage as gear improves means that unless you a) rage starved, b) have a caomparabley shitty MH in relation to the rest of your gear, or c) have quite a few stam gems Revenge works out to be a DPS loss agaisnt Devastate. What worse is that whilst the tier 13 two piece is really weak; 400hps (assuming every revenge connects which it won't, and that you're always going to be in range of something to proc and use revenge on which you won't) is a really small amount, the 2 piece is a step in the right direction and is sort of a bandaid fix to Revenge but she's been dead in the water with a hole in its head for 9 months now. the Band aid is not really going to help.

However the difference between choosing to take Imp.revenge or Thunderstruck is <1% of your total DPS, and it does give the about the same raw HPS as blood craze, so its not as if "OMGREVENGENOOBS SUXXORZ!!11111!!" if you can time your revenges so they land just before the boss nuke it can be an nifty little tool, and is a trade off I'm willing to make. Its not game breaking and 99% of the time it probably won't make a noticable difference.

Looks alright, start aiming for more stamina as your gear improves and put the 2 points from gag order into incite at least. Gag order is pretty useless.

The respec advice worked out pretty well. I decided on taking Thunderstruck over Imp Revenge and dropped Gag Order. One other question is, should I leave the exp and hit alone on my cape and ranged, or reforge it into an avoidance stat? I don't have problems with taking too much damage, and wonder if the extra threat stats are worth it.

I was also thinking about dropping skinning for another profession more useful to tanks. Not one for absolute minmaxing, but skinning isn't helping me any as it is. I was leaning toward Engineering for the various gadgets and toys.
    Last edited by RaiyukitheRed; 04-19-2012 at 09:22 PM.

THe value of threat stats are entirely dependant upon you as a player. IF you're already CTC capped, you should still reforge threat stats to CTC stats and then change up your gemming to include more stamina. if your not absoulutely minmaxing take what ever profs you like.

+ Reply to Thread