+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PST - Episode 72

PST - Episode 72

This week:
    0:19 - Why are Warlocks the new "offtank" instead of Shaman?
    3:05 - Should Blizzard add a fourth spec to other classes?
    7:03 - How does the Monk playstyle differ from Rogue?
    11:59 - What do you think about weapons with procs instead of secondary stats?
    15:56 - Is it okay for hardcore raiders to be forced into running scenarios and dailies?
    24:21 - Should people play alts of different roles, or stick to what they know?
    30:04 - Why do only Mages and Druids have cool minor glyphs?
    34:45 - Is the new talent system going to work in future expansions?
    36:48 - Could 14 bosses per tier mean we see larger tier sets again?
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I would love to see a Paladin ranged DPS spec. It does make alot of sense.
    I'd also like to see Warlocks with a tanking spec.
    Hunters could be nice for a 4th spec, whereby they use pet abilities and arrows to tank.

I definitely like the idea of 4th specs for some classes. I thought a Metamorph tank spec for warlocks was actually a neat idea, but can certainly see how creating cloth tank gear may be an issue. I think that mastery and hit transfer well to any tanking idea they may have, but given the number of dps and healing specs already sharing that loot table, I think having a tank rolling on it too may cause some issues. Then you end up with a situation of creating gear for one spec only, which as we've seen with holy pallies, doesn't work really well. On that note, I'd love to see either or both DK's and Pally's get a fourth spec of dps that uses spell plate. The idea of a int based melee class is something that intrigues me. Something that does optimal dps in melee range, but can still do reasonable dps at range. I think both pallies and DK's could be developed in this way.

24:21 - Should people play alts of different roles, or stick to what they know?

Every main tank should be forced to play a feral cat as an alt. In Everquest it was pretty much the best mark of a good tank that they didn't wildly move the mob to disrupt melee attacking from behind (given that mobs could oneshot riposte a melee attacking from the front). In WoW every other tank I see plays like Michael J Fox on a trampoline and doesn't even think about how much it blows for melee and melee that require hitting from behind in particular.

I'd be against expanding 4 spec classes beyond what's there now - if you have a pally and want a caster roll a mage, or priest or lock or shammy; if you have a caster roll a warrior; etc. the classes seem too homogeneous as it is. Most of the desire for 4 spec is just people not wanting to level an alt. The game is getting too the point where the developers are making it so that it's give everyone everything they want and give it to them as fast as possible. Don't want to level an alt, here we'll give you a 4th, 5th, 6th spec so you can just talent into tanking or healing or melee dps'ing. Why go through that messy process of leveling an alt.

As for grinding, I agree with Lore. I like getting my Elixirs, buff foods, cauldrons, feasts together before raid time. I like being prepared for raid so I'm not relying on a feast being put down, I use elixirs if I'm tanking or the cauldron flask if healing or dps'ing and I always have my own on all my characters. In fact, I get somewhat silently perturbed at the people in raid who never have buff items on them and are always looking for feasts or cauldrons - not because we don't provide them, we do, but there's a difference between asking because we provide them (and you have them on you) and asking because you don't have them. Hard to explain, but it's an indication of who's ready and who's just coming along for the ride. If you're ready to raid, you're ready for the eventuality that things will not be provided. Probably, just the stupid military mentality in me.

In a nutshell, I dont' mind having something else to do for raid, it's fun.

Hopefully Blizzard will see Scenarios as a great tool for Raiders, while they're raiding. They've already dabbled with quests in raids like in ICC. If you have a group of players that like to play the game in large groups, and that is what they want to focus on, design some Scenarios for raiders to accomplish in the raid instance if they choose to start them. Give us raiders rewards such as food, flasks, potions, crafting materials, etc, that actually are then applied for good use on raid boss encounters.

I'm thrilled they are making more bosses this time around. I never liked their argument that 7 or 8 bosses seemed like a nice sweet spot. I want more raiding to do, not dailies, not solo events, etc. If they created a raiding environment where as soon as you logged on, you wanted to be with your guild group inside a raid instance, maybe at it's hub that didn't require a raid group to be in the hub, but you and your team could be preparing for the night's raid by doing some scenarious inside the raid instance, clear some trash, different things to do. Again, all inside the raid instance.

As much as Blizzard is touting, "We want you to be in the world." Good for them....I want to be in the raid.

Lore, Ghostcrawler stated recently that you would be able to stockpile Charms of Good Fortune, you would only be able to use one per boss kill however. You could save them up until heroics or whenever you wanted to use them, but you could only use one each boss. Since that's the case progression raiding guilds will constantly be grinding 25 dailies to get that gear.

I can see it now, all those rogues hoping for the day they get their fourth spec. Just waiting for the day they get Barber Surgeons spec, Fan of adrenaline syringes, and kidney transplant, will be the choice of heals! supplementedby anaesthetic poison on their scalpels

I don't remember at the moment where I saw it, but I know there was a blue post stating that you could add 8 iLvl to anything including heroic gear with valor. The real thing to watch is how much this is going to cost.

4th spec ?

They need to fix 2nd and 3rd spec first on some classes other than be the PvP spec, the less effective fun spec !

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully open to doing things outside of raids, I've been doing that forever. I was happy to hear we could farm charms from dailies, but having to farm LFG dungeons again doesn't really appeal to me - they're mind numbing in Cata, though I suppose that's more a problem with Cataclysm than the idea itself. Maybe I've just grown soft from VP capping from raids.

Hopefully VP will be available from challenge dungeons, I'll be going for gold, just to have another mount not to use.

Also - wtb tier boots.
    Last edited by Nagassh; 03-30-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Maybe this has been addressed in some post or video before, but I really think these shows are better suited for a pure audio format. I imagine it would be less work for Lore to do an audio show and I wouldn't have to manually rip the audio from the youtube video to put on my mp3 player each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Hopefully VP will be available from challenge dungeons, I'll be going for gold, just to have another mount not to use.
    That's already been confirmed
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

While I would love to see a 4th spec to alot of class's, Its going to create alot of confusion for some. I wanted Demo locks to be viable for tanking, however with the glyph change, thats not going to happen. You can say the same thing about a UH dk just swapping to blood presence to tank while someone rez's the dead tank. Thats fine, but you can't expect a demo lock to do this. They would have to have that glyph already in use before the fight, which then would kill their dps. They would turn into someone that basically just sits around waiting for a tank to die. Or for Add's that get away from the tanks. Being an Off (off) tank is just going to limit the amount of true dps you have in the raid. They either need to be viable to tank, or not at all. Sure hitting meta and useing a taunt and holding aggro for a few sec's would be fine, as many other class's are able to do. But not at the cost of haveing a glyph inscribed and doing bad dps for the overall fight.
    We Herd Sheep, We drive cattle, and We Lead people. Lead me, Follow me, or get the Hell out of my way.

I very much agree with the answer given to "Should people play alts of different roles, or stick to what they know?"

There is alot you can learn from playing a different class and doing so will usually make you better at your main than if you just stuck to your main and nothing else.
    I have made several improvements to my Holy Paladin play as a direct result of playing a DPS and Tank and just being more aware of what they have to do.

@Kerknor

If you had bothered to listen and/or read you'd know that the new iteration of the glyph does not hurt your dps at all, it gives you a separate tank stance you can click on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagitaar View Post
    @Kerknor

If you had bothered to listen and/or read you'd know that the new iteration of the glyph does not hurt your dps at all, it gives you a separate tank stance you can click on.
    You are right, but if there are other dps increase options that I can't take because I use this glyph then it is dps loss, therefore I should not use it, if there are not other options then the warlock class have too few options. So the idea is still valid in my mind.

And I know that glyphs are supposed to be flavor but in the end, there is always a better choice.
    Last edited by eald; 03-31-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Thinkinng a bit more about it

Quote Originally Posted by eald View Post
    You are right, but if there are other dps increase options that I can't take because I use this glyph then it is dps loss, therefore I should not use it, if there are not other options then the warlock class have too few options. So the idea is still valid in my mind.

And I know that glyphs are supposed to be flavor but in the end, there is always a better choice.
    This glyph would be awesome for heroic warmaster. Essentially allowing it to be solo tanked with a warlock offtank. This would greatly increase dps on a 10 man and slightly on 25. There are situations where this would be great. Also heroic warlord warlock could tank a claw. Theres tons of situations where having a lock would be useful.

@eald

I'll readily admit that I don't know the ins and out of every warlock major glyph...wait, I have pre-made transfars now, time to research.

Okay, wow, warlock majors are sparse right now. The only dps increase glyph I could find is the Glyph of Demon training, so atm, your fears are unfounded.

One of your comments in PST made me think about something. It's WAY too early for speculation.. but I know Sargeras is coming. He is THE bad in the warcraft universe. They kept pushing that MoP was the "calm before the storm". What if that's a foreshadowing to the next expansion, already. Again.. WAY early for speculation. But the return of the burning legion and Sargeras seems like a pretty massive "storm". Maybe we could see Path of The Titans. It would be a perfect addition to an expansion involving a former titan.

+ Reply to Thread