+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1-525, a better way .

1-525, a better way .

I recently leveled up my alts professions. I chose Enchanting and Tailoring. I have a few 85s and have max professions on 4 of them. But those were leveled as the they grew, since they were all old toons and have made it thru the a few xpans they only had 75 skill ups to make max for each xpac, not a big deal.

Now that toon was a Cata re-roll and the leveling THAT toon was way different than any other.

I will not get into the how much it cost me in gold to level up my professions, but it was well over 20k, and the bulk of that was 1-375 where the patterns are useless or when i did farm mats time sink and drop rate for some mats was unbearable.

Spending 500g for 5 skill ups a bit crazy since gold sellers know the mats that it takes to get past certain breakpoints and then over price old mats, that are harder to obtain. Alot of legitimate players do this too i know, i am not hating on you. Just stating facts of WoW life that should not be the way they are.

Why cant we go to a different system. How about you gain profession skill ups as you level? Like a Rogue who no longer has to go unlock tons of locks anymore to gain lock picking skill. It just levels with him. At 85 he has max lock picking. Why cant we do this with professions?

I propose we do that, at level 10 you pick your 2 main professions. They skill up with you. At 60 you have to pay gold to unlock the next tier of patterns and you continue to skill up. paying gold at 70 , 80 and 85 respectively. Now the change would be that all patterns would be unlocked but cost ALOT more gold to learn. So you would only pick the patterns that you want. And considering it is almost mandatory to have them to raid or pvp because the bonus to stats is not insignificant. This change would make a huge quality of life difference for almost all new toons and players just starting the game.

Im not saying there are other hurdles that need to be considered such as changing professions. How about at 525 to change 1 profession you have to pay 4k to swap.

I just found leveling the this toons professions such a bad experience now that 1- 475 is ruled by gold farmers, useless patterns, and farming of content that with BOAs i out level zones so fast where the mats would drop im forced to slow down my game to keep up with my profession.

Something needs to change , leveling my Monks professions will be so slow and cost so much that i almost wish professions had no stat bonus again, it a shame to have to pay over 20k for 80 pts in stats.

Well what the problem is the inflation of the professions. When you could only level 60 , you had alot of time time to get to 300 skill in your profession. Same at 70 , you hit 70 but you had over a year at that level to get 75 skill ups, so on and so forth, expan after xpan. Now as of Cata we have a pretty inflated profession system. Now instead of being at level 60 for a year , i did 1- 60 in 2 and half days, about 1 hour for each level. There is no way i can obtain the mats to get from 1-300 in that time. Same with going to level 70, i did that in 10 hours. No where close to enough time to get all the mats cause why would i stop leveling when i have 2 more xpans to make it thru so i can raid? So i go 80 in about 12 hours , same deal, no mats. You see how this goes?

Now the difference is on my main when he hit 80 he was already at 475 with both professions. And it really did not matter that once i hit 85 that i wasnt maxed in JC but mining i got maxed at 83. I had all the time in the world to max that profession out as i quested and ran instances and just played the current content.

The professions and skill ups for them are kinda balanced that way for the content, you not supposed to max them right away, they get maxed as you play the content. The major issue is that it makes leveling your profession thru those xpans that are no longer current content and are just there as a stone to pass on your way to current content a major roadblock for no reason.

The profession system has way to much inflation.

Enchanting/Tailoring has to be one of the easiest to level aside from skinning/LW. You farm humanoids, make robes, disenchant those robes and level enchanting with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Enchanting/Tailoring has to be one of the easiest to level aside from skinning/LW. You farm humanoids, make robes, disenchant those robes and level enchanting with it.
    'easiest' being a relative term. It's pretty simple idea to farm your own stuff and level both professions on it, but it's still mindless farming and can take a while (as I recently found out for both tailoring/ench AND skin/LW).
    That said, with the current lack of pre-Cata mats on AH, it's your cheapest option, just not the most fun one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

What I did with herbalism/alch: I would travel to the zone that carried the plants I needed and queue up as DPS for randoms. Leveled 15-85 pretty much this way on my hunter. Time in queue was not wasted as it was spent getting mats needed to level herb and make pots at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    'easiest' being a relative term. It's pretty simple idea to farm your own stuff and level both professions on it, but it's still mindless farming and can take a while (as I recently found out for both tailoring/ench AND skin/LW).
    That said, with the current lack of pre-Cata mats on AH, it's your cheapest option, just not the most fun one.
    Farming cloth serves as a great reminder that WoW needs AoE looting.
    Also, it doesn't have to take that long, and buying cloth is still the smart move in a lot of cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

1-525, a better way .

Only thing I have seen wrong with professions is that I I level fast but my profession lags behind. As in I'm in a level appropriate area but the things I can craft are 3-5 levels behind If not more. The main reason the probably won't change it is because it's a time/ money sink they want u to play longer so they make it easy to level but harder to keep your profession up to date so u have to go back and level it after or stop levelling to level professions.
    I think that levelling professions the first time is ok but they should make it easier to level a 3rd/4th profession with something like an invisible buff so u get skill points easier or get double.

I think the main point here is that professions themselves are not interesting at all. They've become routine requirements for raiders to get the extra stat points, and maybe craft a few items each raid tier release from pattern drops. There isn't anything creative or interesting with a stat point grind that you don't have a single use for any item other than maybe selling some or using the item to build another profession.

The profession system itself is very outdated. I hope (since we won't be seeing it in MoP) that there will be a major profession overhaul done in the next expansion.

+ Reply to Thread