Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Protection Warriors?

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Mastery doesn't have DRs, Block from mastery does have DRs, which most of the time you don't care about due to SB, critical block has no DRs.

IF Thrash works anything like Chamaeron's Double attack i'm not really all that fussed unless 3 blocked attacks can one shot me. and gemming whats best for one fight isn't what should gem for all fights.
    That's supposedly what it does (at least on heroic); I haven't tested him to know. Like I said there seems to be two camps: Go for Hit/Exp and Stam, and basically do what we do now (Mastery heavy with enough Stam to live during progression).

Either way probably works, mastery route means you actually have to pay attention and time SB, stam ways gonna make you a mana sponge. either way except for situations where you use Sbar exclusively Mastery is better than hit/expertise, so as thrash looks to be blockable i'd defintely take mastery before hit/exp even if i was gemming stam.

Spec: Take Avatar, all others are optional
    Glyphs: HtL, HR, are prolly the highest DPS
    Meta: Eternal
    Gem: Avoidance for TDR, Expertise/hit for spike reduction, stamina for TTL and Mastery for everythign
    Rotataion: Keep Weakened Blows up, SS>Rev>Dev, Shout the GCD before SS's CD is up

Job done.

what about trucks like SW, DR, Execute?

of course if you want to min max your survivability you shouldn't use these talents since it costs rage but lets say survivability is not a problem but raid damage is and you want to push the meters a little bit more as a tank.
    or lets say your off tanking and waiting that your debuff of doom runs out.

what would your rotation look like?

Shockwave isn't much of a truck any more. At particularily high venegence levels it might be worth weaving it in in the last GCD before SS naturally comes off CD. Execute would ideally fall into the same GCD placement, it does however hit like an absolute truck. Quite possibly it hit hard enough that rage permitting you'd make it your first priority for maximising DPS.

All this is speculation though and as survivability is paramount slightly foolish.

well the speculation might be foolish but I do think its important. It is known that Blizzard is making extensive use out of the Debuff of Doom mechanic. Especially in "Patchwork" like encounters i.e Ultraxion. If your waiting for the other tank to get fading light survivability isn't an issue at all. So I it makes sense to dump the rage into DPS abilities to help the raid get the boss down as fast as possible. I definitely want to min/max my dps in those situation but I guess we'll have to wait for simcraft

well with Glyph of Heavy repercussions i would expect that SB is probably worth using a sa DPS CD in thos situations. for the most part you're probably better off pooling rage whislt the other tank has the boss so that when you do taunt you can make yourself supper crunchy.

What you might consider doing is dumping any remaining rage right after you get taunted off- if you're going to convert your rage into damage instead of survivability, do it while your vengeance stack is still high but the boss isn't actually swinging on you!

Then build your rage supply back up, and use hs/execute to stop yourself from capping if that is a concern, or use shield block if you've glyphed HR. When you taunt the boss back, ideally you'd have enough rage to immediately block and be most of the way towards another block or emergency Sbar.

..Come to think of it, Safeguard is now awesome if you think you'll have the rage to pop shield block while waiting for your debuff to fall off. SB then immediately intervene once your other tank has established threat and your vengeance stack has dropped down. Give your tank buddy 20% damage reduction, get an extra shot at a critical block for more rage and damage from enrage while you're not taking damage (aside from the next boss swing), and get a little bump in your vengeance stack for those HR shield slams. Just don't use it right before the boss stacks the debuff on the other tank, or right after you've been taunted off.

Using safeguard this aggressively obviously is encounter and situation dependent. However, you're giving your healers a little bit easier time while simultaneously increasing your damage output and getting an extra chance at a crit block for more damage and more rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelsize View Post
    What you might consider doing is dumping any remaining rage right after you get taunted off- if you're going to convert your rage into damage instead of survivability, do it while your vengeance stack is still high but the boss isn't actually swinging on you!
    And 4 seconds later you're tanking again... unless they got Vigilance.

Safeguarding after a taunt swap is pretty useful, not because of your extra rage/vengeance, but because you give the other tank some extra time to get his/her vengeance and/or threat up before they have to blow their resources on defensive abilities. You're basicly giving them a 'free' mini-SB after they taunt, which is just what they need at that point! Plus if you are running with a heavy HoT setup in your healer team, atleast they won't go to waste.

Edit: The best Rage dump would probably be starting out a fight/taunt swap with building up rage, then Avatar, Deadly Calm, HR combo and ending the fight with Avatar (should just be off CD) + Executes for a quick finisher if there is a soft AoE enrage, or SBar's for an actual enrage phase if you're tanking.
    Last edited by Airowird; 08-23-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Point. Maybe fire an execute off right before the taunt swap then.

The threat drop on Intervene/Safeguard is definitely gone, right?
    Last edited by Travelsize; 08-23-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelsize View Post
    Point. Maybe fire an execute off right before the taunt swap then.
    This might actually be the best option yes, considering it boosts the other tanks threat jump from taunt and well ... not like you need to pool rage for SB if he's gonna taunt

Spec: Take Avatar, all others are optional
    Glyphs: HtL, HR, are prolly the highest DPS
    Meta: Eternal
    Gem: Avoidance for TDR, Expertise/hit for spike reduction, stamina for TTL and Mastery for everythign
    Rotataion: Keep Weakened Blows up, SS>Rev>Dev, Shout the GCD before SS's CD is up

Job done.
    I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on that one. Grats on the green pixels in your name though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on that one. Grats on the green pixels in your name though.
    The sad part is, it's probably good enough for 98% of all the players, with the only better system being tons more complicated for a minimal increase.

Of course, feel free to prove him wrong by coming up with a better suggestion, but until someone can prove this wrong, Teng's advice is pretty much spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    The sad part is, it's probably good enough for 98% of all the players, with the only better system being tons more complicated for a minimal increase.

Of course, feel free to prove him wrong by coming up with a better suggestion, but until someone can prove this wrong, Teng's advice is pretty much spot on.
    twas a joke... ya know, cause he just wrote 1000+ word guide... hence me calling shenanigans...
    But you are correct all joking aside, for anybody who's already a competent prot-war, that almost sums it up minus a few important details such as our avoidance DR's getting tweaked.

Teng writes 5 line guide> Teng gets greened.

Quick question, in your guys opinions, when 5.0 hits will Soulshifter become viable for us or will it still be bottom of the list of available trinkets?

Had not even thought about it. Probably would be quite nice but depends on whether you can time it with SB and how into block DRs you are.

I keep hearing people mentioning block DR... I thought they said they decided not to add a DR to block?

Block is on a DR, mastery is not.

Block is on a DR, mastery is not.
    Has this been verified recently? Ghost crawler was saying:

Nope, Block chance does not DR.
    Source:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...7?page=97#1930

And later he put a DR back on it. At present on Beta Block has DR
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 08-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.