Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Protection Warriors?

The recent Revenge change is pure awesome. Got myself the hit/exp hard caps and against a level 90 that isn't even targeting you, we can use SB on CD and still have enough left over. to squeeze in the occasional SBar. Now granted this is the situation where this change has the biggest effect, thats kinda the point, where our rage is gimped the most we now aren't all that gimped.

Nice. Now lets wait and see how they gonna ruin it. Taking bets on "A successful dodge or parry will reduce the cooldown on Revenge by 5%. Stacks up to 10 times."

Now a legitimate concern. Can this result in "hostile pet" for revenge generating purposes type of situation? This could potentially have some drastic effects on our OT DPS.
    Last edited by kopcap; 07-14-2012 at 05:50 AM.

I doubt it, its almost a perfect fix for them, it has no bearing on our rage gen execpt when it actually should: either when we have nothing to parry/dodge or when we get the No SnB streaks. I'm actually consider taking the Glyph of 120 rage now as it makes rage management so much easier and almost removes the "I'm capped but i don't want to dump now becuase if i dump now i delay my next SB". I'm also kind a interested if this change means we should use Revenge>shield slam(non-SnB) for m an RPS perspective.

So been fiddling around with the numbers for the new 10 rage on enrage change. its a slight nerf, nothing really serious, a tad more expertise and we'll be back to where we were, still not enough to really be noticable for the lack of volume.

Until we get more than 2 mobs on us and the enrage proc goes mentaland we turn into complete gits. If someoe would be kind enough to quote the following in the class analysis feedback thread on the US forums it would be nice.

"I'm concerned that protection warrior rage gen is far too good in AoE situation, whilst I definitely support the 10 rage on enrage mechanic; its seems like it's going to normalise our RPS, and make it feel less combo pointy, I can see in situations where we have multiple mobs beating on us our rage is going to go through the roof. I fear the same is going to happen against the faster swinging melee in PVP a rogue can average 10-14 attacks over a 6 second period, in starter gear I'm avoiding maybe 30% of those, but I'm still going to be averaging about 15% critical block rate, closing to 90% uptime on enrage and allowing us to exceed the magic 10 RPS threshold. Enemy attack frequency just has too big an effect of prot warrior resource generation. and it does't really keep to any of the 3 active mitigation models you mentioned last year"

What is everyone's thoughts on gaining savage defense from symbiosis? I guess it depends on boss mechanics... but the fact that it costs 60 rage and it is an alternative to our active mitigation (still costs 60 rage), whereas all the other tanks gain an additional cooldown, seems a bit lopsided. I guess if a heavy boss attack was fully dodge-able then it would be nice, but that's unlikely given that druids mitigation is based purely on dodge. I have a feeling most mechanics are going to ignore mastery/avoidance effects (grats dk's once again).

Plus the 2 minute cooldown on spell reflection that bear tanks get from us seems a lot excessive.

I think its meh, It's nice for us, but really i can't believe there won't be better classes even in a 10 man for a bear to symbiote with.

Brewmaster monks gain savage defense from symbiosis, and it has no resource cost for them so I think monks are a better target than warriors if you only have one symbiosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Eetabeetay View Post
    Brewmaster monks gain savage defense from symbiosis, and it has no resource cost for them so I think monks are a better target than warriors if you only have one symbiosis.
    Blatant kick in the balls. Give 2 classes the same ability, but make it free for one, and the cost of normal survival mechanics for the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Ive been looking through the raid loot drops. ( now active in the journal )- looks like we'll have one option as a tanking weapon till the next raid tier is out.( or be forced to use a lower ilvl item - one drop with mastery from Yan-Zhu the Uncasked). - Hey nice model though!
    http://mop.wowhead.com/item=86130

Later in tier14 (once the other 2 raid instance are open) we have the choices of
    http://mop.wowhead.com/item=86987
    http://mop.wowhead.com/item=87173

Depending on if multiple people can work on the legendary gem at once, the scimitar of seven stars may likely be the best option. Though with the legendary gem's 500 str you would be comparing 580 str / 40 hit vs. 20 mastery and whatever gem you put into the weapon (if you went for socket bonus). The huge strength bonus looks sexy given the new exchange rate.

You can only put the gems in the Sha-Touched sockets and the Sha-Touched sockets can only take legendary gems AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Eetabeetay View Post
    You can only put the gems in the Sha-Touched sockets and the Sha-Touched sockets can only take legendary gems AFAIK.
    yar, he's comparing Kilrak, Jaws of Terror with the 500 str legendary gem vs Scimitar of Seven Stars with a blue or green gem.

You're also assuming that you would have the legendary gem. 500 str for a tank isn't that great. 125 parry rating is really what we would be getting out of it (unless they changed something I didn't know about). So most guilds will probably do the smarter thing and give the quest items to dps and healers first.

Also, about the tanking weapon selection: You cannot forget http://mop.wowhead.com/item=86130. No mastery or dodge or parry, but it looks pretty good to me considering how strong hit and expertise are for us now, even if you're at cap it will allow you to reforge some off of other pieces into dodge/parry/mastery.

Another thing: What's the numerical value in terms of damage reduction/spike reduction for using Berserker Rage on CD? My assumption is that it's not enough to give up the option of using Enraged Regen whenever you want. Especially considering how bursty some of the bosses have been so far on beta.

1) they did change how much parry we get from strength. its not quite 1:1, but then no ones worked out the new Cp/Cd/k values for diminishing returns since they droped the rating:% rate.

2) No one forgot Elegion, Colossal started off as mentioning it because its the only tanking weapon from MSV

3) the numerical value will be entirely dependant on all your present stats, to the point that giving you a ball park figure would be kind of bleh, but its worth double what you lose for not using avatar on CD. secondly if you're saving ER to use when your low why even both taking it? below 35% HP Second wind is better HPS, doesn't have a rage cost or a enrage conditional or a CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaudandus
    Done, and confirmed dodge out of agi.

Theck, you should see the spreadsheet now.
    You might want to check that for warriors.
    http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rt=420#p734613

I have a few questions, sorry if somebody already asked them:

-Will it be worth the loss of avoidance stats to hard cap expertise to negate parried attacks?
    -Seeing as block(mastery) and avoidance (dodge/parry+miss) are now on different tables, should I gear for avoidance over block or the other way around?

Theres a mop rps calculator somewhere lower down this forum. It should give you a pretty good indication of how the stats each affect one another. Short of it is all stats are nice mastery is best secondary even if theres not much not much in it. For total melee damage reduction parry and dodge come next, you want about two/three times as much parry as you do dodge %. If you want to smooth your damage intake hit an expertise are equally better than avoidance until you reach their caps. For magic fights ctc stats are wank so its expertise hit and stam all the way

With any luck, I'll have all my stuff ready by the end of September, so you can simply run the stats once you're actually running heroics.

But as far as the fast napkin math goes:
    * Expertise will be useful to smooth rage income as well, which (in the end) means defense, how much it will matter remains to be seen.
    * Parry > Dodge in MoP, but with their DRs there will eventually be some funky triple breakpoint where dodge parry & mastery rating are all equally valuable (but that might be an impossible point, I'll know the answer for sure when I get cracking in September)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I'm assuming Parry > Dodge because of Glyph of Hold the Line?