Thread: Protection Warriors?

100% uptime = 60 Rage per 6s or 10 RPS

Hit/Exp capped white swings: 5 RPS
    SS + SnB procs: 2.667 RPS
    Enrage up: 1.25 RPS
    Shout: 0.333 RPS
    That's already 9.25 RPS right there, good for SB every <6.5s
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

and the 0.667 RPS needed for weakened blows?

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    100% uptime = 60 Rage per 6s or 10 RPS

Hit/Exp capped white swings: 5 RPS
    SS + SnB procs: 2.667 RPS
    Enrage up: 1.25 RPS
    Shout: 0.333 RPS
    That's already 9.25 RPS right there, good for SB every <6.5s
    Can you clarify "Enrage up: 1.25 RPS"? Is this the assumed calculation based on abilities that enrage us and their CD's or does it include passive enrage mechanics. (which from what i hear so far passive enrages are few and fare between for prot, but i ask anyway)

"Enrage up: 1.25 RPS" is just 25% extra on top of the white swings doesn't say anything about uptime. With incite glyph, ultimatum procs, dragonroar, berserker rage (that's still in the game right?) its possible to get high uptime on enrage.

I think they are trying to get "100%", not "high".

Enrage uptime: while SB is up, crit block chance is basicly doubled, so expect high chance there. On top of that, you have Dragon Roar & other melee crits to fill in the gaps.

Even with Weakened Blows & a less than 100% Enrage uptime, you can still get >80% uptime on SB, which can be fitted around boss casts or specials. The major issue I see will be with Shield Barrier, because you won't be able to have both up at the same time reliably, unlike Druids, DKs or Paladins (haven't checked Monks yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Of the 50 or so times I've tanked the one dungeon included in the beta, I have not been able to ever achieve anywhere close to 100% uptime. Are you getting on beta? If so, possible to log it? Because for me even with shield block up I may get one enrage proc and watch it dwindle to nothing.

Also, Dragon Roar is currently broken and never crits unless you pop Reck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

can we confirm that we don't gain rage when a target Dodges, Parries, or are missed. and can we confirm we gain 5 Rage per swing on beta?
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 04-22-2012 at 07:27 PM.

13 rage per swing, I believe he meant "rage per second" when he said RPS. Not sure about the miss/dodge/parry yet, chances are that's a negative...
    Last edited by Dreadski; 04-22-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Shield barrier as a whole sorta makes me sad. Completely removing our "active mitigation" for a magic cooldown almost equal to what druids get passively seems like a horrible mechanic.

Also I know this is off topic from this thread but did they remove the free heal on DS even when they miss/dodge/parry? Or can dk's still completely ignore hit/exp still?

and thats witha 2.6second weapon right?

and thats witha 2.6second weapon right?
    403 Souldrinker.

can we confirm that we don't gain rage when a target Dodges, Parries, or are missed. and can we confirm we gain 5 Rage per swing on beta?
    I haven't been able to successfully get my 85 warr copied over yet but I made a pandaren warrior and at level 1 he gets rage even when he gets parried or dodged. I'm not sure this will go live given that they want to make hit/exp more attractive. What I'm hoping for is that parries/blocks give rage and dodge/misses don't. This would make tank resources reliable by hitting the soft cap only.

@takethecake, mmo-champs latest datamining says death strike can't be parried. The omission of the words dodge and miss would seem to indicate that they'll need to hit their caps as well. Not sure if they get runes refunded or not for missing to make not being capped less utterly painful.
    Last edited by fengosa; 04-23-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Takethecake View Post
    Shield barrier as a whole sorta makes me sad. Completely removing our "active mitigation" for a magic cooldown almost equal to what druids get passively seems like a horrible mechanic.
    This. I sure hope Blizz notices what we see as an obvious thing. This mechanic as is is going to cripple warriors in comparison on most boss fights. Sure we'll still be able to do them, but from a "good<better<best" hardcore progression standpoint we won't stand a chance IMO.

Does savage defense/bloodshield/pally equivalent work against magic now?

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I haven't been able to successfully get my 85 warr copied over yet but I made a pandaren warrior and at level 1 he gets rage even when he gets parried or dodged. I'm not sure this will go live given that they want to make hit/exp more attractive. What I'm hoping for is that parries/blocks give rage and dodge/misses don't. This would make tank resources reliable by hitting the soft cap only.

@takethecake, mmo-champs latest datamining says death strike can't be parried. The omission of the words dodge and miss would seem to indicate that they'll need to hit their caps as well. Not sure if they get runes refunded or not for missing to make not being capped less utterly painful.
    Can you confirm getting parried/dodged on a shield slam still grants 10 rage?

Does savage defense/bloodshield/pally equivalent work against magic now?
    I don't know about Pally's. And as far as i know DK's are keeping pretty much near the same mechanics they have. I think that Druids though are getting a 2 for 1 as their mitigation ability. I haven't heard it confirmed from the mouth of somebody playing a guardian druid on beta, but i have heard it from multiple people.

I don't think we're really all that badly off. its not all that different to how we handle shield block now, with the 20% magic damage reduction for the 6 seconds or the extra crit block, except this is also more flexible in regards to timings. I've a bit of reading, they changed Savage Defence from 40% physical damage reduction to 40% Dodge a while back. Have they changed it back? If Bloodshield is staying the same as live then it only absorbs melee, not magic, so DKs are gonna have to rely on Boneshield and AMS, Dunno how Pallies deal with it; Divine Protection? We're pretty much the only tank that can roll a magic damage reduction for most of the fight if we want and and switch almsot at will between anti-magic and anti-melee modes.

I think we're gonna have to ask a Druid. If you're right though we might still be on par. Apologies for the preemptive doomsday calling.

Perhaps a seperate thread cataloging the up to date mechanics for each tank class would be appropriate. Just so we can see them all side by side......

you could jsut use the wowhead MoP database and go throught the datamined changes listed on MMO-C