Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mists of Pandaria Beta is Imminent

Quote Originally Posted by Vonarie View Post
    When I log into my account I see the following:

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (wow2)
    Public Test Realm (PTR)

At first I was thinking it would be just an error on their part then I realised thats been there forever! So I figure it's not really my beta invite!
    Yeah, mine had the active account, then a PTR slot, then a trial (free) slot. When I got beta, it was added in below the PTR slot and above the free, and clearly said Mists of Pandaria on it.

Quote Originally Posted by torstine View Post
    I am wondering something, once you have gotten access to beta, do you keep the access for the duration of the beta testing period?
    As far as we know, yes, but, of course, that could change if Blizzard so desires. I doubt they'll change it, though.

This beta takes forever to download. Down to 91 KB/s with 15 GB to go; was running at 300 - 500 KB/s in the begining.

Well it is over 17GB

Try disabling Peer to Peer in the downloader options. On the live client, that pushed me from around 400 kB/s to 1.4 MB/s.

I will give it a try, thanks.

That bumped it up to about 400 KB/s. Thanks.

Having never been in a WoW beta, can anyone tell me if whatever characters are created during beta can be used once the expansion launches? I would imagine that you can, but I am also assuming there is a process involved here?? Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Everything that happens on the beta servers gets deleted when they finally go offline. You cannot take any items, gold, reputation, currency or achievements back to the live servers. The only thing you can take back to live are the experiences you made, in that you know where the quests are, and know which quests are necessary to progress. This can give you a small advantage.

You can either copy your live character to the beta servers or copy a pre-made that comes with a specific level, set of gear and currency. They sometimes have secondary professions skilled up.

The beta tests are not pre-release early access. They are beta test servers. This means that the servers will range from fairly stable to being offline for days at a time. You should expect a lot of client crashes and instance server crashes. Expect quests to be bugged, abilities to not work, and NPCs to not react the way they should. PvE encounters may have bits that don't work or are not yet implemented and you may spend a lot of time corpse-running because you fell through the world.

I understand the reasoning behind the beta testing and all is reasonable. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a way to sort of "copy" a character from beta to the live servers near the end. Thanks for the answer.

I got into the beta last weekend and poked around for a while. The artwork in the Panda starting area is beautiful, I love the Asian theme and I also love the Panda models. Far from them being Kung Fu Panda, they are well drawn and fit right in with the rest of the WoW world, both serious and cartoonish. They really did a great job.

That said, it's a beta and I don't know that I'm really into beta testing. The starting zone was crowded as hell. I copied my pally over, but the quest at Varian to get you to Panderia was not there (at least that's the way people were saying you got to Panderia was a quest from Varian). A most annoying bug was that the Alliance Pandas could attack and kill Alliance NPC's in SW.

I'll log back on to explore a bit more, but other than running some dungeons I can't see myself commiting a lot of time to beta testing. I think the most annoying part is that a good amount of people in the beta, just think they got to play the finished product early, all they do is rage/complain in chat about this or that not working so MoP sucks. Guess I'm old and just don't have the patience to put up with the idiots.

Hah, I thought that would happen. Just imagine the wave of outrage that will hit the WoW forums when Beta comes to an end and those people realise that it has all been for naught.

Schadenfreude might not be a very nice emotion; but in some aspects, I'm not a very nice person.
    Official Dragon Wiggler of the Ashen Rose Conspiracy
    Nerf Paladins