Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Protection Paladins in Mists of Pandaria

* Most tanks lost a lot of avoidance due to MoP asking ~50% more rating per pre-DR Dodge/Parry; My old 4.2 Heroics geared Warrior lost over 10% avoidance (and he didn't even have 370 ilvl average!). Most of the baseline is gone and the more avoidance you have now, the more you'll lose in MoP.
    * Druid Mastery is the only one guaranteed to work at all times (even when taking swings from the back).
    * Warriors & Paladins lose 60% (not 55%!) of their max resource pool on their defensive ability

There are also more changes incoming for tanks, as you can read here (or here for the blue tracker version), which should definitely make things more interesting for tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Tielyn View Post
    - Mastery only gives armor now, and on me, a paltry 10% armor gain, which translated to 3% less damage.
    3% Higher damage reduction gives a lot more then 3% less damage.

If you have 65% Damage reduction without mastery and 68% with mastery thats almost 10% less damage taken since you will be taking 32% damage from a hit instead of 35%.
    32/35=0,914, so at that point a increase in damage reduction of 3% equals 8,6% less damage taken from each hit.

Assuming you start out as low as 50% armor reduction and go to atleast 57.2% by the end of the expansion (or a similar gearing model where end-game armor >= 135% green starting gear), Druid Mastery is pretty balanced, as is the end result of Warrior Mastery (although it is not intuitive, the Block DR and crit block make for a nice balance with the 85 scaling in beta atm).

The major issues for tanking Masteries atm are Paladins (no increasing return to offset the DR on the massiveamount of block chance they get) and DKs (no DR at all = imba blood shields). I haven't had time yet to model Monks, I'll see what I can do over the next couple of days.

I am thinking dodge and parry are currently bugged, currently I am seeing:

Code:
            Rating    %
    Dodge   1777       6.35%
    Parry   1621      19.24%
    With no gear on Dodge is now 0%, we lost the base 5% but parry is at like 4.4%, even subtracting 4.4% parry is coming out way ahead of dodge per rating. Parry seems to be more or less the same as live but dodge seems to have a crazy low DR or the rating is really high.

Page, check your Strength as naked vs geared, I checked on beta last week and it seemed Str adds truck loads of parry rating (74.2% of it converted to parry rating, but not shown in the tooltip, as far as I could check)

Your right about the Strength to Parry rating it has seemed to increase.

Looking the latest MMO Beta changes they have the JC specific gems listed, it's interesting all the non-primary stats are are now 50% higher than the primary stats (same as stam), for example Strength Gem is 320, Exp/Dodge/Parry/Haste/Crit/Mastery are all 480. This could be the reason for the 176 to ~264 rating denominator, they probably still need to go through the old gear and up the non-primary stats.

I'm still having trouble with ShoR and WoG not being on the GCD, I keep catching myself waiting a second before hitting the button :/ A 4 year habit may be hard to break.

Mastery appears to be adding the extra damage reduction for ShoR now, not multiplying.

Quote Originally Posted by Newsom
    Latest build:

30% + 29% from mastery.
    source: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...728729#p728699

Concur. I've been using the same six pack of mobs as a benchmark test (mmm... 22K per kill) and I'm noticing I'm significantly less squishy than the week before -- I didn't have to hover over the Lay on Hands button at all this time and chaining ShotR over and over instead of alternating WoG every third ShotR made me significantly bolder on charging giant packs of mobs.

-T.

Hi guys, I have a quick question for you about our holy power management because at the moment I feel like there is something lacking or I am doing something wrong. My first problem is that I do not have beta access, only the PTR, but I am assuming that these basic things I want to talk about will not change from now to 5.0 hitting live.

The passive ability we have to store up to 5 holy power seems to me to be totally useless due to the fact that I almost never have more than 3 holy power - I am using SotR as soon as it is available and will do the same with WoG (at 3 holy power) as well. The only times I could have more than three, are when I do something wrong in my rotation or when divine purpose procs and given as how DP only procs from using a holy power ability, taking you back to 0 holy power straight away, I cant actually see how you can ever get to 5 holy power.

I can work on getting my rotation better, being a paladin that should take a while *coughs*, but I can't do anything about divine purpose. For me, DP needs a rework, something like having a lower chance to proc from any of our special abilities, would be better for me and actually makes the holy power buffer seem logical for protection. That being said, I can't think of many uses for this baseline ability in ret or holy either. Divine Purpose, if it were to get such a rework, would probably become more mandatory than it already is which is the type of talent or glyph choice that Blizzard are trying to avoid now.

Am I missing something?