+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HQ Video Capturing

HQ Video Capturing

Hi, I've had a recent obsession with recording my guild running dungeons/raids, and was wondering if someone could share some advice.

First off, I have dug around quite a bit, found a few threads dating around 2007 and 2009, but nothing really seems to answer my question directly.

Ideally, I would like to run Fraps in Full-size mode and be able to produce some high quality video to post on my guild forums. So far, everything I've come across has referred to recording at half-quality and "up-scaling" to a slightly sharper image.

I suppose my question(s) is how could I go about recording high quality gameplay video (1920x1080), without having to sharpen the image via a second or third program.

I have no issue going out and purchasing hardware to do so, I just have no idea where to look, as every thread I've dug up (in any forum) is screaming Fraps or another software based application.

I'm a complete amateur at this whole thing, so pretty much any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    (As a side question, how does TankSpot record such high quality boss fights/guides? I understand some editing is involved, but the initial video itself looks amazing).

I am not a tankspot video guide author, but I record with Fraps in full size 1080p (1920*1080) @ 30 fps. I then render it down from ~12 GB to around 500 MB using mpeg4, 30 FPS, 12 Mb/s video bitrate, 192 kb/s audio bitrate, 1080p vertical resolution in Sony Vegas.

This is what it ends up looking like:

Have a look at the sticky thread at the top of the Tech Central forum.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 03-16-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Thank you! Very nice vid btw, I love the music. I took a look at the sticky you mentioned, and am probably going to invest in a Fraps license, eventually buy a new 2TB internal as well as Sony Vegas from newegg. Until then I suppose VirtualDub will suffice for temporary editing and compressing Fraps files.

I will have to try running Full-Size at 30fps instead of Half-Size at 60fps though, I feel like it should turn out fine with my machine though. (Only thing I'm really lacking is 64bit OS w/ more RAM and a semi-outdated GPU - HD Radeon 5870 or something. And of course the second HDD to record to).

Thanks again for the feedback!

Youtube does not support 60 fps videos anyway, they get converted to 30 FPS regardless, which can cause a drop in quality in itself. The key thing is to keep the framerate and the resolution the same from start to finish. If you are using an x*1200 resolution you will need to do a bit of trickery to make it look good at 1080p. Check youtube for tutorials, there are lots of them out there and most of them are quite well made.

+ Reply to Thread