+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recent dev watercooler

Recent dev watercooler

I just read ghostcrawlers most recent announcements regarding the future of stats in MoP, and wanted to hear tankspot's comunities thoughts. Here is the link to anyone wanting to read it before discussing.
    Of course, its hard to really get a idea of how this will affect gameplay before seeing MoP, and even Ghostcrawler said they are not all set in stone. Still, i cant help but wonder if i should view these as improvements or over-simplifications.
    In my opinion the most interesting points, which i wanted to highlight, were the ones regarding spell resistance, block and a little detail on hit.

"Spell resistance is gone."
    I had mixed feelings. Although i didint like the idea of eliminating another aspect of the game, it does seem true that spell resistance has had a rather minor role as a relevant mechanic in wow for quite a while now.
    Still... While that change might seem to only make us not need to worry about having someone with resistance aura/totems on each fight, if too many such changes come to place it feels like we wont need to worry about anything.
    "Expertise will negate dodge and spell miss, then parry."
    This one got me confused... Why swap parry and dodge around? It seemed somewhat meaningless.

The chance to block will be handled by a separate combat roll for each attack that is not avoided.
    I have to admit i said "Ugh" aloud as i read this part. I like the combat table as it is. I like the possibility of being "unhitable" or having full CTC for paladins and warriors, and think it helps set them apart from bears and dks. One of the things i fear most is that classes become too similar.

I really dont know what to think of MoP this far.

Although I don't fully understand the new block mechanics, if they're adding DR they should make it block spell damage as well as melee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by aresius View Post
    "Expertise will negate dodge and spell miss, then parry."
    This one got me confused... Why swap parry and dodge around? It seemed somewhat meaningless.
    I believe this in reference to expertise caps, in which case it is mostly the same as right now with 26 expertise negating dodge and then 56 expertise negating parry. They just tossed in miss with it.

Sounds to me like expertise won't reduce dodge and parry simultaneously but dodge and hit, thus it's still twice as diserable as hit. But they also state that "We are normalizing hit with expertise, so that 1% of each stat will require the same amount of rating." We'll have to see..

About block changes, there's already a whole thread about it on TS.

I wonder if this "pvp power" stat is to be understood as the same as an inverted resilience. Instead of reducing damage taken it increases damage (and healing) done.

The aim for having it is to make raid gear less desirable for pvp usage. And to not make the pvp gear interesting for pve usageas it is boosting the general power of pvp gear just versus other players and not vs raidbosses.

How this turns out tho i think will be a matter of how effective they choose to tune the pvp power stat.

A good thing with the pvp stat change is that the ilvl itself won't be increased as now. Altho they could just make resilience take 0 of the stat budget right now and solve that particular problem anyways.

Another desirable goal stated by Blizzard is to make the crossing from PVP to PVE and vice versa easier. I wonder how much of a problem for players this really is tho. I seldom here complaints from players wanting to cross over but can't. More common is instead complaints from players that see an advantage to do it (to get weapons, trinkets ect) altho they don't want to.

I myself enjoy both PVP and PVE, so for me it would not be any problem at all if one got an advantage of having good progression in both. One thing i did not like tho in TBC was that the arena gear and weapons was so good that for a guild not having top progress i did not have many upgrades to look forward to at all (for a guild 1 raid tier behind).

I hope the new PVP stat and ilvl changes won't reintroduce this problem.

As I read it, Expertise will reduce Dodge & Spell misses (but not melee miss) and once that is capped, it rolls over into Parry. That would make remove the need for extra spell hit for hybrid melee (read: Paladins & Shamans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Hunters needing expertise so that they can really compete with Enhancment Shammys over gear. I don't like expertise on hunters, but then again i didn't like focus at first and now I'm okay with it.

As far as the gear competition goes, it's only 1 class for armor and possibly 2 classes for weapons. Plate and cloth dps/tanks have 3 each for armor. It's not that big of a deal. I think it's a good thing. It means my hunter alt who is geared from HoT and DS LFR can get some real life use out of the rogue daggers he had that had expertise instead of farming the stupid PVP polearm.

As far as I see expertise working.

0 to 5% will reduce dodge, after 5% it can't reduce dodge chance any more so then the next 10% goes to spell hit, then the next 20% goes to parry chance.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    As far as the gear competition goes, it's only 1 class for armor and possibly 2 classes for weapons. Plate and cloth dps/tanks have 3 each for armor. It's not that big of a deal. I think it's a good thing. It means my hunter alt who is geared from HoT and DS LFR can get some real life use out of the rogue daggers he had that had expertise instead of farming the stupid PVP polearm.
    I don't think so, since a while ago they mentioned that hunters will only use ranged weapons and they'll have no minimum distance on the range. Don't know if that will remain.

Okay so that's a bad example, but my main point is competing with shaman for gear is a good thing.

Yeah, when I think about it, it will be like the old days when we used Intellect gear.

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    As far as I see expertise working.

0 to 5% will reduce dodge, after 5% it can't reduce dodge chance any more so then the next 10% goes to spell hit, then the next 20% goes to parry chance.
    It's like Airowird said, the first 7.5% reduces BOTH dodge and spell misses, so all melee classes will go for 7.5% hit and 7.5% exp and will be capped for both melee attacks AND spells if they have them.

+ Reply to Thread