+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which tank class should I roll?

Which tank class should I roll?

Hello, my wife and I are re-rolling, she is going to be a priest (holy or disc) and I would like to be a tank, but I can't pick up one, so I would like some help and some advice. Which one should I go? Druid / Warrior or Paladin (Not DK since we are starting from level 1 to level together), which one is the best to tank? Please give some feedback and if you do have some guides for rotation and stats that would be great.

Thank you.

Go druid - they are a blast to tank with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Go druid - they are a blast to tank with.
    Are they reliable at all for end game raiding? They seem a bit squishy!

Druids are pretty much the least squishy tank in the game right now. Comes with having nearly 300k life, around 50% avoidance and 58-59k armor in dragon soul gear.

I'd say Paladin or druid. Although I may be biased towards the paladin...

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Druids are pretty much the least squishy tank in the game right now. Comes with having nearly 300k life, around 50% avoidance and 58-59k armor in dragon soul gear.

I'd say Paladin or druid. Although I may be biased towards the paladin...
    Well paladins for me was a choice, but I used to had one at the start of Cata and it was really bad to hold aggro, either was my game play or I don't know. I was a warrior tank but I don't mind to roll again just to level with her. But I will follow your advice for a paladin and follow your guide. I just hope it works

My preference is a DK; I tank on Warrior, Pally and DK and I find the DK to be the sturdiest; that said, it also takes a good bit of practice to learn it well. The pally is second (they have what seems to be the most "oh, shit" buttons and bring the most utility to the raid) and then the Warrior. For some reason I find that Warriors have issues on some of the gimmick fights like Ultra and Madness (third and fourth platform impales, without a Hand of Sac or Pain Suppression, they just seem to get ganked).

My Bear is only level 30, but from a healing perspective, bears are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    My preference is a DK; I tank on Warrior, Pally and DK and I find the DK to be the sturdiest; that said, it also takes a good bit of practice to learn it well. The pally is second (they have what seems to be the most "oh, shit" buttons and bring the most utility to the raid) and then the Warrior. For some reason I find that Warriors have issues on some of the gimmick fights like Ultra and Madness (third and fourth platform impales, without a Hand of Sac or Pain Suppression, they just seem to get ganked).

My Bear is only level 30, but from a healing perspective, bears are fine.
    Well for me DK is not an option, I will try the paladin. You guys think that priest + paladin combo will work to level and run some 5 mans hc's?

Best: DK hands down due to DS mechanics, druids tied with warriors on the second place depending on the fight.
    Most fun (for me!): WARRIOR! - between charging, intercepting and heroic leap while spamming 300 apm i've a blast everytime i log in

In endgame paladin is least appealing right now, after shining in t11 and easily reaching full combat table coverage in t12 they have a hard time competing in damage taken in t13. They stuck with gemming stamina (increasing buffer for your healers) or less desireable upping their avoidance values (damn those diminishing returns!) - both feeling rather weak compared to blood shield, high armor and crit blocks.

edit: every class works fine for leveling and just goofing around, sticking your head into LFR and regular raiding for some fun.
    Last edited by klausi; 02-27-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Personally, I'd go with the class you think you're going to enjoy the most. Playing the character that you enjoy is far more important than anything else.

Ka Pai, GMT+12 recruiting now!

Quote Originally Posted by Soan View Post
    Personally, I'd go with the class you think you're going to enjoy the most. Playing the character that you enjoy is far more important than anything else.
    He's asking which is the most fun, but since everyone has different opinions on why each class is fun, the thread is pointless. OP, you'll either have to experiment with each or just pick one and stick with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    Best: DK hands down due to DS mechanics, druids tied with warriors on the second place depending on the fight.
    Most fun (for me!): WARRIOR! - between charging, intercepting and heroic leap while spamming 300 apm i've a blast everytime i log in

In endgame paladin is least appealing right now, after shining in t11 and easily reaching full combat table coverage in t12 they have a hard time competing in damage taken in t13. They stuck with gemming stamina (increasing buffer for your healers) or less desireable upping their avoidance values (damn those diminishing returns!) - both feeling rather weak compared to blood shield, high armor and crit blocks.

edit: every class works fine for leveling and just goofing around, sticking your head into LFR and regular raiding for some fun.
    Warrior is certainly the most fun for me, though i am also at the point where mine must gem stamina, and i feel pretty much the same as you feel about warriors as you do pallies, I can feel the dragonsoul radiance eating into my rage, and our CDs feel, except for maybe Ultraxion, weaker than palaladins.

I myself really am torn between having fun on my favourite toon, and feeling I'm letting my Raid down by not being a paladin.

Might depend on your raidsize and setup but i don't feel the urge of having another 10k or 20k stamina buffer when i've killed everything with worse gear and without radiance. Only fight i slightly struggled was Zon'ozz because i was benched for the entire progress and had to get into it while everyone else was already used to the fight. Paladin have an easier time on fights with magical bursts, i can't deny that - but mirror is regulary enough to cover this. I tanked all those hard hitting tank eaters (<20% Morchok, Ultraxion & Blackhorn) on both paladin and warrior on heroic mode and it's like night and day looking at the physical damage income.

Maybe its my mostly normal mode perspective, my pally has spent most of cata rotting on maloriaks floor, she stepped into DS mostly in 346, crafted 359s and some JP and LFR gear. The warrior went in full FL/FLHC gear. the warrior never really struggled. Zon'ozz was kinda bitch but like you said swapping trinkets around he's fine, the pally, with a much lower Healthpool, still not unhittable was able to take it just with her mechanics, even though she didn't have trinkets to swap in. I think thats my main point about why paladins are probably better of in DS than warriors, Paladins aren't as gear dependant, and their toolbox seems much more suited to the type of encounters in DS, the warrior can't take seven impales in a row through smart CD usage and he can't gear for that kind of screw up up,the pally can just BoP, AD, DS in to with GAK and shrug them off.

i personally enjoy my druid much more than any of my other tanks at the moment, most likely just due to being able mangle spam trash and see some of the dps in raid finder go wtf, but like said above what you think is fun will differ from most people and they are all easily viable all the way through 8/8 heroic although some more than others

I have leveled a paladin till level 35 and healers kept saying I took too much dmg even with heirlooms, which is weird. So I rerolled druid and it seems fine, I enjoy at the moment. But I really can't decide, I wanted a reliable tank for the new content, I know it will change all over again in MoP but till there I would like to have a pretty nice tank.

I recently started a paladin tank (He's level 74). I find that they have a lot of different emergency cooldowns that are very useful in a lot of situations. I found that even when they aren't in suitable gear for their level that they still pack quite the punch and keep aggro very easily. I used to bear tank in TBC and WOTL a little bit, haven't done any bear tanking this expansion... I found it previously very boring to bear tank. If you want the option of pressing lots of buttons and having a fun and easy approach to tanking pick the pally.
    Last edited by Meralaz; 03-06-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: My paladin is level 74...

warrior ! =D

warrior to 58 -> switch to a dk, Win.

Edit: you level to 58 so that you aren't 3 levels ahead of your wife after your 30 minutes in the dk starting zone
    Last edited by gd_void; 03-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.
    US|Thrall|Horde Yea, I Love Plate
    Ike(Fury Warrior) Oit(Dk Tank) Oiz(Holy Pally)

+ Reply to Thread