+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When to switch to Stamina Gems

When to switch to Stamina Gems

Hi All, Ive been scouring the internet trying to find the answer to this question and ive come up short... In looking at other prot paladins, I find prot paladins gemming stamina and ignoring the combat table coverage, then in the same guild I find paladins gemming FOR combat table coverage.

Basically as it stands now, with both mastery trinkets on I have 107.52 CTC. With my Soulshifter vortex on, I have 102.66 CTC. Now in talking with some people, they told me since a major part of the dmg in DS is magical, I should just regem to Stamina and ignore the CTC whatsoever. Other people have told me that I should try to keep 102.4 CTC with my procs activated and regem to stamina with the excess. Im getting so much mixed information my head is starting to spin, so I come to the best of the best to beg for some help.

My armory link is here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...irias/advanced

Which of the following options do I opt for?

1.) Keep 102.4 CTC with trinkets/windwalk procced and regem the excess into stamina
    2.) Ignore 102.4 CTC and simply gem straight stamina
    3.) Gem to 102.4 CTC with Mastery/Avoidance Gems despite the procs pushing far over CTC

I also have Resolve of the Undying and Spidersilk Spindle in my bags currently.

Any other constructive criticism would be most appreciated as well. Thank you in advance!

Gem/reforge avoidance and mastery until you are at 102.40% with raid buffs (Kings, Battle shout, food). Then turn those mastery gems and avoidance enchants into stamina, while retaining CTC cap. You can change trinkets on a per-boss basis (2x stamina for heroic hagara for example) to change stats quickly and easily. Do not gear around having proccs like windwalk active, they are only there 30% of the time, the boss is swinging at you 100% (or close enough) of the time.

A couple notes on your gear as it is on the armory,

The block meta gem will get you a lot more damage reduction then the armor one as a block tank.
    You seem to be missing enchants on 3 items
    Wrist recommend +50 Dodge
    chest recommend +75 stam
    cloak recommend +275 armor
    You don't seem to have the extra blacksmithing sockets despite having high enough BS skill

hope it helps

OMG that is so embarrassing. Each one of those things were something I got and then logged off right after, thinking "Ill do that tomorrow" and completely forgot about. When I read that, I actually logged on to check and facepalmed. Thank you so much for pointing out those oversights Strucker lol

Thank you Fetzie for the input, I am definitely going to make those changes. So does that mean I should run a heavy mastery trinket or the (Resolve of the undying even) instead of Soulshifter Vortex in my normal set, and use the Soulshifter for magic fights.

A good tank is going to have a ton of trinkets in their bags and be willing to swap them in and out fight depending. Two stam trinkets, two mastery trinkets, Mirror of Broken Images (*mandatory* for H Yor'Sahj, Zon'ozz, and I guess if you're in a 10m single-tanking Madness), Stay of Execution, etc.

The issue is finding a balance between all these different gearsets so that you're not wasting too much itemization with one or leaving yourself vulnerable to unblocked attacks in others. One thing I will say is that for "magic fights", which basically means H Yor'Sahj, all the traditional tank stats (avoidance, Stam, Mastery) are devalued in favor of magic resistance and damage reduction cooldowns. I would run with Mirror of Broken Images and Stay of Execution (unless you happen to have the old H Sindragosa trinket lying around, which is still fantastic for this believe it or not), and use a Prismatic Elixir for more resist. Make sure you glyph Divine Protection too, and unglyph it after the fight.

Im doing exactly what fetzie recomended you, swapping to stamina while maintaining ctc. However, when each of us (tanks) should go for a more stamina heavy build isint necissarily a set in stone rule, imho.
    As my group is progressing through heroic ds, ive seen more and more need for a bigger health buffer to survive due to increasingly hard hitting melee atacks (warmaster most notably, zonozz to a point with our 7775 strategy) and tank killing mechanics (hagaras focused assault, zonozzīs drain, etc).
    So im going more stamina heavy to survive.
    I beleive any good tank keeps the content he is running and his group in mind when he itemizes.
    If you are (for example) progressing through normal modes and notice that your healers constantly strain for mana (but your never in imedeate risk of death from a fight mechanic), you may consider getting avoidance trinkets and maybe even gems to try to lessen their load (I dont think this is a likely situation, just a illustration).
    Basicly, when to gem for stamina (or any other stat) is when you feel it is needed for the content and group you progress with.
    When you need more stamina, you will know it (it will be obvious).

You "need" stamina to overcome gear issues (running with 384/391 gear through heroics), later on (decked in 397/410) you can work on your avoidance while still remain on a healthy hp-pool and swap trinkets around on a fight to fight base.

And it's dependent on your lineup, no stamina buff at all is coverable via scrolls but having a resto shaman or not plays a huge role in your total shown hitpoints. What's about devotation aura, can you use it or need resistance/concentration aura instead? What's about that inspiration buff only disc/holy and resto shaman can bring to the table? Helps greatly on high physical damage fights.

+ Reply to Thread