alright well, you'll want to rely on both:
- damage reduction COOLDOWNS (not procs, that's bad thinking)
- health increases (i.e. Rallying Cry, Last Stand)
this is fundamental. yeah, maybe your healers can game some procs and shields for the tanks, but that's a function of your players just being good which isn't exactly strategy. put that out of your mind. set up a cooldown rotation strategy; you'll be able to eschew all other buffs/debuffs (save the tank stance).
about the impale: it's not a melee hit - rather, it's caused by a debuff placed on the target. when the debuff expires, the target takes a bunch of physical damage. the debuff circumvents 'save-from-death' effects, so you can't BOP, GS, Evasion, Cauterize, etc. no matter what, the target IS GOING TO TAKE SOME DAMAGE.
here is a list of more cooldowns that you can build a CD rotation with.
tank/personal cooldowns: (effect, CD length)
- Shield Wall (-40% dmg, 2min)
- Last Stand (+30% health, 3min)
Blood Death Knight
- Icebound Fortitude (-20% dmg (-50% talented), 3min)
- Vampiric Blood (+15% health, 1min)
- Guardian of Ancient Kings (-50% dmg, 5min (3min talented))
- Ardent Defender (-20% dmg, 3min)
- Barkskin (-20% dmg, 1min)
- Survival Instincts (-50% dmg, 3min)
- Frenzied Regeneration (+30% health, 3min)
- Dispersion (-90% dmg, 2min (1:15min glyphed))
- Deterrence (-30% dmg, 2min)
(note: to game the tentacle Impaling a non-tank, *i believe* the strategy is to have everyone but that person run out of range of the tentacle before the Impale goes out. i've never had to use this strategy since we've always 2-tanked it. someone else correct me if i'm wrong.)
- Stay of Execution (absorbs up to 56k dmg and then DOTs the user for 40% of dmg absorbed over 20s, 2min)
(this trinket is bought from the vendors in front of the Firelands raid portal (and just inside it) for 400 gold. it requires Revered standing with the Avengers of Hyjal faction.)
- Prot Warrior: Intervene w/ Safeguard (2/2) talented (-30% dmg taken by Intervene target, 30sec)
- Disc Priest: Pain Suppression (-40% dmg taken, 3min)
- Disc Priest: Power Word: Barrier (-25% dmg taken, 3min (is positional, has no effect if not physically placed over the target(s)))
- Paladin: Hand of Sacrifice (30% damage transfer up to 100% of caster's health, 2min, 1:30min talented)
- Warrior (all specs): Rallying Cry (+20% health to all raid members, 3min CD)
general personals (everyone can use):
- Dream (-50% dmg, 30sec (only usable while you have Ysera's buff during Madness of Deathwing)
this is likely not an exhaustive list, but it'll help i'm sure. good luck!
Last edited by reasonyousmile; 08-01-2012 at 12:21 PM.
You never go full Rickotron.