+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fury Warrior 4.3 (hit vs. mastery)

Fury Warrior 4.3 (hit vs. mastery)

Hey all,
    Prior to 4.3 I was a Fury Warrior as PVE, as most others were. Now it seems Arms is the way to go. I have respec'd my secondary talents to Arms, done the appropiate research, etc, in order to max Arms dps.

However, I personally still prefer Fury as a Warrior in PVE. Some fights in DS I out dps Arms warriors while other fights the Arms warriors have the edge on me.

Overall, as of patch 4.3, I still prefer to play Fury. Should I focus reforging mainly on Hit still vs. Mastery or set Hit at 8% and max out Mastery. I know that Crit is obviously a huge focus and to keep exp at 26.

The other question I have is as I'm using TG I'm duel-wielding Gurthalak, Voice of the Deeps.

Should I be using Gurthalak as my MH and one of the other DS drops as my 2nd hand or is duel-wielding the way to go. When I try different reforges/weapons equipped on raids or raid dummeys I almost feel the results are random.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

Here is my armory link for ref: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rikur/advanced
    Your ego is writing checks your body can't cash

Interestingly I think the whole mastery sub-focus idea holds more water in DS than it did in previous tiers, for a couple reasons:

1) the fairly excessive amounts of raid damage across the board means that you'll get extra rage from THAT and so maxing your rage gen stats (hit/haste) seems a bit less necessary
    2) due to the vast quantity of stats you actually have on DS gear, it's probably easier to hit a place where mastery really starts to be valuable anyway

Also, sort of a 3rd semi-point is, mastery is more valuable for arms, so it makes the pain of reforging between the two less.

Still, probably worth testing out and seeing how it goes. It's late enough in the life of the instance that I'm sure there are plenty of farm fights to play around with.

Oh, wrt weapons, the only thing that's better than Gurthalak is a better version of Gurthalak...use both until you get a better version of it. The proc is absurdly good.

Keep in mind that you get extra hit from being in fury if you do decide to go flat 8%.
    No, there really isn't enough raid damage in DS to give you rage for a good fury rotation. The RNG would be terrible. If you want to play Fury you will need to be stacking hit.

I would say if you're going to go back and forth, still focus on hit. In full DS gear, if you are reforged for Fury, you will probably be about 300-400 points above hit cap if you're in arms spec. And if you are Dual wielding Gurth in Fury, you DEFINITELY want as much hit as possible so you can get off-hand proc's. Though the opposite is true of Arms, more mastery=more procs.

If you are concerned about min/max for heroic progression fights, it's an entirely different story. That's a conversation you'll have to have with your Raid-leader though.

So, to summarize:
    Fury reforging = still pretty decent DPS in arms.
    Arms reforging = TERRIBLE DPS in Fury.
    Trips to Org between fights = a royal pain in the ass and pocketbook.

Thanks for the responses so far. As I'm staying with Fury mainly now since I'm dual welding Gurth, I reforged to hit instead of mastery.
    I did notice that as I added more hit vs. mastery as Fury, I gained more procs from Gurth which was a plus. Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Your ego is writing checks your body can't cash

Hi everyone. I'm new to posting here, so I hope this is the correct place. I am also having trouble putting out decent dps and wonder if I can get some advise on hit vs mastery vs crit, etc. It seems my dps has decreased recently, but I can't figure out why.
    Here is a link to my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...cliff/advanced

Any advise is greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Well, first of all, i trust you have read current Furry Warrior guides, so i don't need to go over rotation. To my knowledge this is fury stat priority for 4.3 since you did ask for that.
    Str > exp26 > hit8 > crit > hit17* > mastery > haste
    Not completely sure on the 17% hit, but i believe that is where you see pretty much minimal rage RNG. This could be incorrect, i don't remember exactly where i read that.

Secondly, usually it would be appropriate for you to start your own thread here in the halp forum, though i guess there's technically nothing wrong with this method except that necro is bad. Kaz might be of a different opinion though.

Thirdly you logged out in prot gear. Which by the way i feel obligated to inform you that CTC>HTL and CTC>stamina. Balance your parry and dodge a bit more, ditch the stamina trinkets for mastery or avoidance, and change boot enchant on you next upgrade to lavawalker. Also, outside of PVP gag order is useless, get Deep Wounds.

Your Fury spec and glyphs are spot on perfect, so really nothing i can help you with there.

Quick question on regards to Gurthalak.

I finally picked up LFR Gurthalak (384) and am using it with the Blackhorn mace (397).
    Does the handedness...(?) matter as far as MH or OH. Currently I am using Gurthalak in OH to keep my MH base dmg higher. Will this affect the Gurthalak procs?
    Ty for the help.

Erm

In regards to previous post.

I thought this was an appropriate place for this question since it kind of pertained to the original question above. I apologize if it is in the incorrect thread.

I meant to edit the original but I'm on my phone and damed if I can figure out how to do it from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermin View Post
    Quick question on regards to Gurthalak.

I finally picked up LFR Gurthalak (384*) and am using it with the Blackhorn mace (397).
    Does the handedness...(?) matter as far as MH or OH. Currently I am using Gurthalak in OH to keep my MH base dmg higher. Will this affect the Gurthalak procs?
    Ty for the help.

Erm
    Guth goes MH. Basically, Guth proc > 100ish top-end from 390* to 397. The only hitting you OH does is normal hits (subject to hit RNG) and RB. These are hardly a consistent way to get a proc. MH on the other hand (no pun intended i swears it) is doing all the the rest of your rotation on top of RB and melee hits, effectively increasing your chance to proc by a very big number i don't want to take the time to figure out =D.

@Ermin: No, you're all good i think. Nothing wrong with saving forum space.

@Nightcliff: Oh, and you logged in your fury gear, fun stuff.

First things first, Expertise cap is 26, not 28. So get that down as close to 780 rating as you can.

As to "hit VS mastery", due to the itemization of your gear this is a little bit beyond my expertise. You have a lot of hit in you gear putting you at a very abnormally high amount. Most Fury warriors in Endgame content would be in a struggle to get close to that much due to how gear is itemized in Dragon Soul. So to conclude for now, I believe there are thresholds were one thing will take precedent over another due to a unbalanced ratio of stats. I'm not exactly sure where these are though or how drastic they are as far as min/maxing goes, so i'll have to do a bit of reading and get back to you. Of course there's always a chance that somebody more knowledgeable than myself will have a answer for you immediately.
    Last edited by Gregasaurous; 03-10-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks for the help on the Gurthalak issue. I can see how it would render more procs to keep Gurth in MH vs. OH. Muh appreciated.

Expertise is now 26/26.

I'm definitely not a cutting edge min/maxer (which is one of the reasons I still play Fury, can't quite wrap my head around Arms but I'm working on it every now and then) but I do like to be my guilds my #1 DPS and this way appears to be working for me for the most part. I went the hit route because early in the expansion a lot of what I read was pointed in that direction. However, I don't recall if there were limits that were established as to "Get to X amount of Hit then proceed to X amount Mastery then X amount of Haste". I guess what I am getting at is, I am just not sure what to do with it.

If there is something like that I can look at to improve I would deinfitely give it a try. Suggestions?

One other question (and maybe it is deserving of a new thread) but I'll ask here. In TheGreatMe's Fury Guide thread there was a short discussion about the DPS Warr 4 set and Deep Wounds/Heroic Strike. It kind of stalled out and it never really went anywere after a few posts. Do you guys think that with the DPS 4 set a spec with 2/3 Deep Wounds and 3/3 Heroic Strike + stacking haste would be a DPS increase or not?

I can't really fathom how to do the math for that.

my math concluded that only under the most ideal of conditions, and with very entry level gear (as this math was done at the start of cata) Incite could just maybe be a very minor dps increase, but only if you were able to use it on CD 100% of the time, which is simply not the case. long story short, get 3 points in deep wounds and 2 points in incite.

as of right now, for fury, 2pc t13 drastically increases the value of hit/haste. as it stands, hit is roughly equal to, and arguably better than crit (which has pretty much always been out best stat since the beginning of the universe), and haste is a bit behind crit, and mastery is worth about half of what crit is worth.

While I personally don't subscribe to the reforging to hit over crit, if you choose to do that, know that once you reach 17% hit, additional hit will be less useful, as gurthalak tentacles are affected by the spell hitcap (which is 17%). aside from that 17% hit optional break point, there are no "magic" numbers to reach, just stack as much strength, crit, and hit as possible.

on a semi relevant sidenote, as the fights get progressively nerfed, fury might start pulling ahead of arms on certain fights because fury's burst CD's are much better, and also shorter fights mean a higher % uptime on a mastery boosted deathwish.
    Last edited by Thegreatme; 03-10-2012 at 11:58 AM.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    Well, first of all, i trust you have read current Furry Warrior guides, so i don't need to go over rotation. To my knowledge this is fury stat priority for 4.3 since you did ask for that.
    Str > exp26 > hit8 > crit > hit17* > mastery > haste
    Not completely sure on the 17% hit, but i believe that is where you see pretty much minimal rage RNG. This could be incorrect, i don't remember exactly where i read that.

Secondly, usually it would be appropriate for you to start your own thread here in the halp forum, though i guess there's technically nothing wrong with this method except that necro is bad. Kaz might be of a different opinion though.

Thirdly you logged out in prot gear. Which by the way i feel obligated to inform you that CTC>HTL and CTC>stamina. Balance your parry and dodge a bit more, ditch the stamina trinkets for mastery or avoidance, and change boot enchant on you next upgrade to lavawalker. Also, outside of PVP gag order is useless, get Deep Wounds.

Your Fury spec and glyphs are spot on perfect, so really nothing i can help you with there.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Thanks for the response, sorry about posting wrong spec. Here is fury spec with appropriate gear:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htcliff/simple

Yes, I've read every guide I could find, but it seems my dps is down only recently.
    My hit rating is at 19.5% unbuffed. Is that too much? I use askmrrobot.com for things like reforging and gems and it seems reliable.
    thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Nightcliff View Post
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Thanks for the response, sorry about posting wrong spec. Here is fury spec with appropriate gear:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htcliff/simple

Yes, I've read every guide I could find, but it seems my dps is down only recently.
    My hit rating is at 19.5% unbuffed. Is that too much? I use askmrrobot.com for things like reforging and gems and it seems reliable.
    thanks again
    I already posted my tips for you in the second half of the comment i originally left for Erim. From what Thegreatme said i'd say you're doing everything right. You just happen to be at a very odd transition phase in gearing. Although i'm not to sure about the reforge you did on your wrist.

Thank you Gregasaurous and Thegreatme for your help. I appreciate it!

Erm

+ Reply to Thread