+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Choosing the right tank for MoP

Choosing the right tank for MoP

Hi guys, in preparation for MoP, I wanted to start a topic on the community's perception of different tanking classes, and what they bring to the table. Of course, we don't know what monk brewmasters will be able to do yet, but with 4.3 well underway, I think we all have opinions (hopefully different ones) about how our existing tanks have evolved during the last expansion. I have leveled and played with all tank classes so far, but this is by no mean a definitive analysis. Please take it as a mere conversation starter.

Warrior: the most mobile tank. Will it stay that way going into MoP? Warriors wear badass plate and with more chance to tank along-side leather-wearing monks, they could be easier to gear up comes MoP. People have been complaining about warrior performance in arena recently, but they remain super strong flag carriers in rated BGs.

Druid: the tank with the widest choice of offspec. 4 specs instead of 3 with MoP, clarifying what already existed in the game anyway. The only tank that lets you play a ranged dps if that's what you're into. With another tank wearing leather on the horizon, gearing may prove a little more difficult, but it looks like their prowess at solo'ing old content may improve with better self-healing, if that's what floats your boat.

DK: the best solo'er. People complained of their survivability in recent patches. I haven't pushed it past 4.1 so not sure about that. Their toolbox has improved, their pvp potential remains ultra-strong. Their mobility is lack luster, though.

Paladin: the most supportive tank. Their toolbox is huge and their ability to survive under crazy circumstances still unmatched imho. Lack of mobility still grates me when I play mine, but tier one MoP talents look like they will turn paladins into mobility powerhouses. They also have 2 really solid arena specs.

Conclusions?
    If you tank and do BGs, I would stick with warriors.
    If you tank and solo content, I would wait to see how the DK vs Druid plays out.
    If you tank and arena, every choice seems decent except maybe warriors?

What's your take on it? Will you roll a monk immediately to test it out? Have you picked your tank for MoP already?
    Last edited by Zantam; 02-14-2012 at 10:30 PM.

4.3 really has zero bearing my opinion, at least at this point. The entire talent system is getting revamped, all of the classes are getting another look.

At any rate, I'll tank and dps on my warrior. When it comes time to pvp I'll change my arms dps to arms pvp spec and equip resilience gear. Simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I am expecting a raft of info about changes to tank classes come the 'news launch' and then the beta. If they go ahead with the active tanking model, it will have to mean significant changes. There are very few things you can say for sure now, and I think you captured most of them. I'm sure warriors and druids will remain very mobile (warriors probably more than druids), that druids and paladins have options to offspec into more different roles.

Beyond that, I don't think you can make many predictions. Whatever you choose, one of them might be 'best' for a patch cycle, it might just as easily become 'worst' in the next. DKs were seen as weak in 4.0, they seem pretty OP in 4.3. It's almost as much to do with the content as the class.

I'm sure there will be something that will mean warrior tanks will be let down by their CDs. Again. though as we potentially have 2 silences and 3 fairly long stuns warriors will undoubtedly be nerfed to the ground on for the sake of PVP.

My prediction then is that things will continue as they have been for years.

Monk, new class will most likely be a little overpowered at the start. I like the way DKs are now if they keep the boneshield/armor changes they will continue to be strong.

I have no idea which way they will go with the tanks, cause they were going to change it up quite a bit. Wonder if each tank gets a proper raid cd to make up for the lack of T13 4set.

One thing I'd really like to see is some control around raid cooldowns. They've made a rod for their own back here. 10 man raids needed to have raid cooldowns, so lots of classes get them. Suddenly 25 man raids are overflowing with raid cooldowns, so they have to design encounters on the assumption that you are chaining all those cooldowns (otherwise they'd be trivialised by groups that do chain them). Orchestrating rotations of raid cooldowns is Not Fun(tm), and just one more reason why 25 man raids are a headache. Just as cataclysm aligned the raid buff system, so I want to see MOP align the raidwall system.

Tanking on a DK, Warrior and Pally, I find DK's to be the most sturdy class now - the only knock on DKs, prior to 4.3 was Death Strikes could miss, since they made DS always heal if not hit they're almost unkillable. Blood Shield, AMS, IBF, VB and an OP 4 piece, it was like DS was made for the DK tank. It's like early Ulduar all over again. And who needs mobility when you have Death Grip.

What this all means is that come MoP the nerf bat will be swung hard.

You guys probably saw the changes to the talent calculator today. What's your take on it?

Personally, I'm in love with the druid changes. Everything seems to fall into place, swipe is back with no CD, savage defense is (finally!) gone, meaning there should be no more clunky, inelegant mechanic attached to the class. The versatility of the talents let me hope that bears will be able to solo content again, with an array of cooldowns to heal themselves. My only hope is that the treants heal yourself when you're in guardian spec.

DK's updates seem somewhat lackluster. Sure, their new strike sounds like a massive threat for pvp, but other than that, it looks like they won't change much.

Pallies... Not so sure anymore. Everything looks solid, but nothing makes me go "omg they nailed it!". What do you think?

Warriors look like they will once more be a very solid pick, and I really like the "boss of the battlefield" direction they keep on improving on. The banners sounds awesome. And mass spell reflection promises to melt faces as a flag carrier...

What's your reading of the changes?

The talents and spells will not go live in their current iteration anyway (chances are they aren't even what Blizzard is currently using in their developer builds of MoP). Although it does give an indication as to their design direction. I'm in the "sounds cool, but let's wait for beta before starting to theorycraft the "best" tank" camp personally.

The interesting question is how they are going to balance an even higher tank population with their current 1.5tanks/25man raid model. Are there any signs that they are actually doing anything about it?

Just because there are more tank classes, doesn't necessarily mean there will be more tanks. Maybe in the short term as people re-roll monks to see what they're like.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Remember making Paladins viable maintanks and introducing Deathknights as a tanking class in WotLK didn't make that much of a long-term difference to the amount of tanks around. People who don't want to tank won't roll a tank spec character, regardless of it's race or class.

@Fetzie: of course I wouldn't dream of talking theorycrafting, or even numbers for that matter. I'm just toying with design philosophies, because I have a tank of each class, and I'm wondering if what I love / dislike about them will change.

From a gameplay perspective, it looks like pallies will be even more "cooldown-machines" than what they are now, and I'm worried that this will make for a very "wait for buttons to light up, press them" gameplay, which was one of the things I kinda dislike about DKs as well. You seem to main pally... this ever bother you at all, or is it just me?

Warriors and druids look more dynamic, with warriors having a richer basic gameplay, but druids being more versatile in terms of what they can do outside of tanking on an encounter. Same as now, but even more marked.

Pallies moving faster than anyone else... I can't get over how exciting that is. It really is the main reason I'm considering switching to the Light.

@guys who main Death Knights: the preview sort of looks lackluster to me, at least from a tanking perspective. Is it me, have I overlooked something? Are you guys excited about playing DK in MoP?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantam View Post

Conclusions?
    If you tank and do BGs, I would stick with warriors.
    If you tank and solo content, I would wait to see how the DK vs Druid plays out.
    To be honest, I dont fancy druid these days, druid has lost its appeal to me.
    wow sidekick---safely getting decent gears

Recently switched to my dk as main. With the armorbuff and boneshield change I think dks are really in a good place right now, before 4.3 I really felt dks lacked a bit of EH. Doesn't seem to change much with MoP death pact and vamp blood share a talentpoint now but can pick up antimagiczone as blood for a raid cd so that's nice. I'm happy with it not changing too much

Choosing the right tank for MoP

I have gone back to my dk but I'm just really bored with it (gearing it up in lfr just incase it's needed) I feel there needs to be a change in the way it is played to make it a little more interesting priority wise(same with paladins). Only thing I'm looking forward to is a mass taunt(finally). I think I'm gonna roll a monk to see how it feels. Do you think that monks and bears will share gear and maybe the gear?
    I think my main will still be my paladin followed by my warrior. Can't wait to try out avatar. I hope warriors keep the mobility and all the utility (disarm and such).

I started my paladin partly because of all the shiny light effects, and will be getting even more of them. Simply for that, I am excited I'll reserve judgement on everything else when I get to play it in beta.

I think another concept that has kind of been overlooked so far, is the fact that with the new talent system, double spec essentially means the possibility of playing 2 actual trees, as opposed to say "Prot PVE and Prot PVP", or "Blood PVE and Blood Soloing". You won't need that anymore, so a class that you feel inclined to play another spec of could be more appealing that a class you don't really like the other specs of.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not a huge fan of Arms or Fury, which makes me question "maining" my warrior.

@Zotor: so far, we know Brewmasters will tank with a staff and will wear leather. It's therefore highly expectable that they will share every piece of gear with bears, except maybe trinkets (if for example they can parry, or if their stat priority differs).

It's really hard to tell, DK went from worst to top tank over this expansion and that's not only because of some tweaks (armor buff, guaranteed heal from deathstrike and more charges on boneshield) but how bosses and their mechanics were designed. Even if you play the new beta and class A turns out to be quite nice just some minor changes can throw you off. Paladin rotation went from downright boring to somewhat interesting with Grand Crusader-proccs netting holy power and ferals gots lots of adjustments as well during Cata. I'd stick with what you actually like right now (especially considering offspeccs and overall feeling you're talking about) and if it turns out that it's not what you was expecting... well welfare epics and a short leveling time later your new tank should be ready. With achievements & maybe even mounts getting account bound there's nothing to fear (like invested grind time in titles/factions/etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Zantam View Post
    Sadly that's true. I love tanking on my warrior and i really enjoy arena in general but in it's current state this class is so bad pvp-wise not even guranteed tentacle proccs could help justifying a spot in any higher rated bracket over other melee rivals. The praised "high mobilty" just don't work in an arena environment with every opponent capable of messing around with you, our uptime on foes is just to bad to play our cards (burst via cooldowns) out right and i just don't see how 1 minute cooldown on avatar and deadly calm changes this entirely with the removal of the few tools we got with cata.
    Last edited by klausi; 02-18-2012 at 07:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread