+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HALP computer making wierd noise when its cold

HALP computer making wierd noise when its cold

For the past probably 2 weeks when it's super cold outside(i have my computer by my window) and i have my window open my computer(i think fan) makes a really wierd grindy/humming noise when i start it up for the first time or wake it up after a long sleep. It usually goes away during the boot up or a min after waking up. Does anyone know what this is and why it would be doing it and how to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help

The grease in the bearings of the fans probably gets a bit stiff which makes it hard for the fans to turn, and when the computer is running is gets nice and soft again so the fans turn easier and make less noise (think about what happens when you put a stick of butter in the fridge overnight, and then want to make some sandwiches and the butter is rock hard and impossible to spread, but after a while it gets soft again as it warms up).

Potential solutions? Don't put your computer near an open window when it is very cold outside

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    The grease in the bearings of the fans probably gets a bit stiff which makes it hard for the fans to turn, and when the computer is running is gets nice and soft again so the fans turn easier and make less noise (think about what happens when you put a stick of butter in the fridge overnight, and then want to make some sandwiches and the butter is rock hard and impossible to spread, but after a while it gets soft again as it warms up). Potential solutions? Don't put your computer near an open window when it is very cold outside
    yeah to test it ladst night i shut my window and closed me blinds while i slept. no sound this morning

oh also forgot to ask. Is the grease "freezing" bad for anything? My room is small and gets stuffy extremely fast at night so i kinda have toi have it open

I want to say grease, at least the standard industrial stuff I work with, freezes just a hair before -20F. I doubt your keeping your room that cold for a consistent enough of a period to freeze over solid. Now it will get extremely sludgy around 20-30F (and thickens as it get colder) and considering it is on a fan it will be very dusty and such so VERY sludgy grease could lock a fan -- just very unlikely and would have to be pretty damn dirty and wedged with dust to get there.. not to mention a little bad luck.

+ Reply to Thread