+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunderfury was nice, but...

Thunderfury was nice, but...

I am piggybacking this based on Tengenstein's statement in this thread.

Prot warriors had an awesome legendary in Vanilla, and many warriors used it up to first kills in Black Temple (seen videos of kungen using it on firsts).

Either way, I think we shield tanks are way overdue for a legendary. In Naxx, Atiesh was given to all staff classes. In BC, DW DPS warriors/rogues got the Glaives, and hunters had a bow from Sunwell. In Wrath, healers had a hammer from Ulduar and tank DKs and DPS 2h classes had Shadowmourne. In Cataclysm, we have a DPS caster staff and now Rogue-only Fangs of the Father (rogues could use Tfury, Glaives before this as well).

It's high time for either: a 1h tank weapon, or a really ultra-badass shield.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Yes it is. Although I think that legendaries as they are right now are the worst things that can come out of a raid. They always cause contention, the guy getting the item burns out after not missing a raid for 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Yes it is. Although I think that legendaries as they are right now are the worst things that can come out of a raid. They always cause contention, the guy getting the item burns out after not missing a raid for 4 months.
    This times like...infinity.

Legendaries are the WORST idea for items in the game. I wish they hadn't done the rogue ones, but since they have I certainly hope they're the LAST ones they do.

All they do is imbalance things (they doubled the AP bonus for melee from all the AP buff auras and it's still not enough to make you actually WANT melee in your raid, if you have a choice), make people burn out faster, cause drama and generally make the game less fun instead of more. Even for the people who get them.

I don't know, I think it depends on guild size. It was fun helping out our 'lock/raid leader get his legendary. I mean I'm am sick of FL at this point, but it was worth it since he's a good guy and the whole show in SW was pretty cool for all of us who helped - and we got to buy a BoA pet; if you like those type things. Then again our guild is basically a small core group of 10 people.

We're now in the process of helping our one of our Shammies get it, we'll see how that goes, think he up to the part where you need the stuff off the bosses - I haven't done it on any of my casters so I only know what I hear in vent about crystals off Beth or some such thing.

From what GC said, the single class legendary is something they want to pursue, so we'll see where it goes. I resolved to the fact that I'll probably never get a legendary, closest I came was Shadow's Edge since we were only a 10 man guild - that kind of sucked that it was limited to 25 mans.

I agree with Theotherone here..it really depends on the guild. We haven't had contention in our guild for either legendary, though admittedly, we only had one rogue. For our staff, leaving off the brutal grind for a 10m guild, the parts where the group had to pull together seemed fun.

Good discussion, guys.

One thing I want to point out for legendaries is this, you have a number of DPS in the teens if you're talking 25 man content, where as tanks are limited to 2 9.9 times out of 10. Heals you're looking at a varied number based on fight but you will have a bunch that are dedicated heals and may never DPS based on that player's necessity since he/she excels at a certain role. I think equipping tanks with legendaries over say, mages, would be less of a bitch fest within guild.

I can see the bitch fest in 25 mans, and to an extent in 10; I think we've all been around the loot whore drama kings/queens who just feel every drop or goodie should go to them. For the grown ups in the room, path of least resistance is let them have it. That's why it's nice when the legendary goes to someone who's just a nice person; you really do want to help them out.

I'm on board with the "legendaries are the worst idea" bunch here, but I've said that before. =D

If there were to be a paladin/warrior tank specific legendary, I'd be the one to get it in our guild. I still think that there are better things to spend dev time on though. Like making bosses more interesting, or less skewed to one set of dps.

Legendary weapons are a broken idea in my humble opinion. I like the idea of having to do a quest and having to forge special weapons, having different ranks of the legendary much like Sulfuras had an epic version that required you to get the Eye of Ragnaros to create the legendary, however I dislike the extent at which quests take in order to create newer legendary weapons. Valanyr is an example of a legendary weapon that was not so absurd to obtain, but still relied on players to clear the content in order to get it. Shadowmourne was good because the amount of time required to obtain one was not so exceptionally long that the hardest boss of the expansion was being downed before one was completed because let's face it, the legendary daggers were finally created by one player what, a month after heroic Deathwing was killed?

Legendary weapon quests need to be shortened, but not so easy that everyone and their mother has one by the end of a raiding tier. Tanks need a legendary weapon, however I think it would be great to see a tanking related quest line for the classes with tanking roles, so whether you are a bear, DK tank, Warrior or Paladin, you can obtain a weapon that relates to your spec with dodge, parry, mastery and put tanking favorable sockets on it with bonuses to go along with it. For Warriors and Paladins having the same kind of weapon type makes it easier to develop, if bears were still able to benefit from strength 2 hand weapons, they'd be able to use the same weapon as a Blood tank.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

I actually meant that i've really enjoyed the solo quest parts of the last two legendaries quest chains, fighting my way in to the nexus and stealthing through gilneas has been fun and i'd rather like more of that sort of content but ofr the character i prefer most. Screw the orange pixels. Screw the raid farming, I want more shit to do on my warrior. THings like soloing Onyxia or Sarth or Marrowgar type stuff.

I did do The Battered Hilt on my Pally and got the healing sword. That was a good idea since you could chose the type of weapon you got at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    I think equipping tanks with legendaries over say, mages, would be less of a bitch fest within guild.
    The only problem with this is the 10/25man split. 10 man it will take them well half way into next tier to get two legendaries for their two tanks, while 25man it will take them 4 weeks after they cleared the whole tier.

Secondly the only people who can fully use a legendary will be done with content by they time they get it. Rogue legendaries helped only a handful of guilds finish Heroic Madness, and unless you were below world 300th dragonwrath didn't help your H rag kill.

Thrice it creates more drama then its worth.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    It's high time for either: a 1h tank weapon, or a really ultra-badass shield.
    I think the bears and death knights would disagree with you
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    I'm on board with the "legendaries are the worst idea" bunch here, but I've said that before. =D
    ^ this

I'd personally prefer they just stop adding legendaries to the game. They only break things.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I think the bears smell and the death knights had shadowmourne.

Gamebreaking gear for one class sucks. epic quest chains for all do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Just bears really. DK's got to use Shadowmourne after all! Depending on how many two-handed melee DPS there were in their raid, of course.

I really can't see them doing any interesting legendary for all tanks at the same time. Sure, they could stop doing legendaries at all, but I seriously doubt that will be the case. Honestly if there was a legendary shield for Paladins and Warriors, I think people can live. The other classes will QQ as they always do when the legendary isn't for them, but it happens. They could even do a druid legendary staff for the "class specific" legendary at some point that benefits all specs depending on the form they're in.

I don't know, but this topic has been out there for quite some time.
    "Kyle, this is the way the world works. If you want to find quality friends, you have to wade through all the dicks first." -Cartman

For years we heard the "one class" excuse for not having any more staves with armor, leather with mitigation stats, and of course no bear legendary.

Then they say, "Rogue only legendary, hahaha!"

=(

The core issue with legendaries before the final tier of an expansion is that they dramatically shift balance on a level that can't be anticipated before the legendary is implemented.

Something like a tanking legendary sounds nice on paper but if you put in it in the game during say t14, then it will be a major factor in progress for t15, and t16, all way until the next xpack after WoWMoP.

DPS legendaries pose the same problem. When you look at this tier, how ultraxion, and spine of deathwing worked this tier. If dragonwrath had been given a tier early it would have been the same thing on baleroc, domo, ragnaros.

Healing legendaries are the same-ish. WoWCata not as much, because of the more cooldown heavy.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

+ Reply to Thread