+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few ultra-noob questions on protection warriors.

A few ultra-noob questions on protection warriors.

Hello,

I just signed up for the WoW Starter Edition a few days ago, and had a lot of fun to level 20, and have been doing dungeons over and over because it's fun. However, I have a few newbie questions before I subscribe.

1) I've been browsing through the guides. And I found some really useful things, especially the cool guide on keybinding etc. However, most guides are aimed towards having the full skill set (being highest level). Wondering if anyone has seen any general guides to warriors that might not be level 85 pre-requisit?

2) The User-Interface Addons seem daunting, especially the packs. Is there any minimum list of addons for noobs like myself that is a "must have" even at low levels?

3) How does one go about finding a guild in this game, if you don't want to be used as a resource or a means to an end?

If the questions are stupid, my apologize. I feel like I am to late starting this game.

Barlyr

1. Been ages since I leveled but BnT rend, thunderclap, cleave for aoe and shieldslam devastate HS for single target should cover it once you get to lvl 68ish I think have fun with shockwave.

2. Get tidyplates threatplates and omen to watch threat. For the rest its just personal preference but I like bartender and a unitframe addon like pitbull.

3. Look at guildox or wowprogress for a guild on your server at your level of progression and see if they need a tank, this is once you're 85. Sometimes guilds also abuse tradechat for promotion or you can look at recruitement part of tankspot or mmo-champion.

Hey Barlyr,
    1) I honestly don't know if there are general guides around, what you want is: specced into 2/2 Blood & Thunder (requires level 20), cleave glyph (requires level 25). Basically that's all you need to maintain aggro against hordes of mobs versus equally geared players. The lower dungeons (before level 50ish) are designed so you can play them without a real tank, just giving you some diversity from questing - try keeping at least the bosses away from your party and don't worry if fully heirloom geared pricks keep getting aggro.

2) Blizzard worked hard over the years to improve on this side, they got their own aggro meter and implemented better nameplates.. but i'd still recommend giving Tidyplates:Threatplates (nameplate addon) a try, it clearly helps me keeping control while fighting multiple targets. For the later stages ("endgame") Omen (a threatmeter addon) might comes handy but that's up to you.

3) Check your realm board, read the descriptions closely. Visit their homepages (and requirements) and find a sweet home

Ok thank you both for the helpful replies!

I use Dominos for bars as opposed to Bartender - that just happens to be the one I first picked. Later on when you finally hit 85, you'll want Deadly Boss Mods for raiding; also I like Titan Panel as a general utility; Atlas Loot so you can see who drops what; and of course Recount so you can keep an eye on who in your group is doing what.

Depending on your professions Gatherer is nice for tracking nodes for mining and herbalism.

Also if you want to play the Auction House - Auctioneer is pretty good, but it's not that light weight, so you may want to make an Auction House alt.

Also with add-ons make sure you pick ones that are current - if the last update is not in line with the last patch, think twice about it.

For guilds take your time and make a good choice. The ones that spam trade chat are usually just player warehouses - some are not, but the advice to check Guildox or wowprogress is good. You can see how advanced those guilds are. I know on one of my servers we have the big warehouse guild spamming trade all the time and you know when you get in a group with a member from that guild it's time to leave group. But we also have some of the top 20 guilds in Trade looking for specific classes. A general spam v. looking for specific classes can be a good indication of who deserve a further look.

Take a look at my Warrior tank's spec and just spec your way through as you level. Below is my warrior, she's been a bit neglected since I have 8 85's and I mostly heal on my Pally these days (soon to be 9) and I haven't really been raiding on her except for LFR; but her spec and glyphs are pretty standard. Don't fall into the trap of taking talents that sound really good, but in practice are just kind of "meh"; like Impending Victory or Blood Craze.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary

Good luck and poke around the Forums here, lot of good information and lots of good warrior tanks.

A few ultra-noob questions on protection warriors.

There is an ok video guide on how to tank as a low level warrior on YouTube by warrior tsw. He talks a little to much lol but he at least tell you how to handle tanking at low levels and is actively leveling the character (doing guides as he levels so you will get an idea from a range of levels) tidy plates threat plates I feel is a must have deadly boss mods is not so useful at low levels but becomes more useful later on. The rest is preference.

Thank you again!

I played around with Bartender, awesome, also the plate addon that tells you if you lost threat, awesome!

Found the youtube tanking video Zotor, thanks!

So do you plan to upgrade to a full account?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

New here too, warrior. This was very useful, specially the addon and Theotherones guild advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Zotor View Post
    There is an ok video guide on how to tank as a low level warrior on YouTube by warrior tsw.
    I had a serch about and found a video, not sure it's the one you infer but TSW's warrior guide video gets a few dead wrong:
    • BnT is NOT just an AoE talent, for a maximum DPS/TPS single target build BnT is greater DPS gain that SnB (I know right, blows the mind).
    • Shield Mastery reduces the CD ON Shield Wall & Shield Block by Seconds not percentages
    • The damage alone on Imp.Revenge is not worth taking it
    • He Sells Thuderstruck short by half, its 3% Rend, Cleave , Thunderclap damage, and 30% stacking Shockwave buff PER POINT. which actually adds up to higher DPS increase per point than Imp. Revenge. Making it BETTER in a single target build than Imp. Revenge.
    • You cannot glyph Shockwave to reduce its CD below 17seconds.
    • War Academy does not increase the damage of Shield Slam.
    • Not all your self healing can double dip from field dressing.
    • Blood Craze sucks. It's not gonna save your life. He's about as wrong on this as 1 +1 = turkey sandwich.
    • He skipped Deep wounds.
    • HE SKIPPED DEEP WOUNDS!
    • You are not required to pick up shockwave to unlock the other trees.
    • Heavy Repercussion is still better than Imp.Revenge in AoE situations.
    • Unhittablity > big healthpools. Having battle shout is more improtat than commanding shout as a tank.
    He's quite right that understanding the thinking behind specs is very important. Clearly he doesn't fully understand how his talents work.

+ Reply to Thread