Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heroic Ultraxion Soakers

Heroic Ultraxion Soakers

So my guild is getting ready to give some attempts to 10man Heroic Ultraxion and I was trying to figure out our soakers and in what order. Our current makeup is below. Any advice or ideas would be great

Blood DK
    Prot Pally
    Feral Cat
    Arcane Mage
    Survival Hunter
    Warlock (Affliction or Destruction)
    Boomkin
    Fury Warrior
    Holy Pally
    Resto Shaman

1/4/7: Blood DK + Holy Paladin (glyph'd Divine Protection)
    2: Prot Pally + Feral (Survival Instincts+barkskin)
    3: Survival Hunter (Deterrance) + Fury Warrior (Shield Wall)
    5: Prot Pally + Mage (Ice Block)
    6: Survival Hunter + Feral

I THINK that will get it done. The warlock can probably take one w/ward + sac too (might want to toss on a Rallying Cry or raid wall there too). External CD's that might help:

Divine Protection
    Rallying Cry
    Hand of Sacrifice
    Raid Vampiric Blood (assuming DK tank's 4 piece)

Fury Warriors get Shield Wall? but they don't have a Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    well, you would macro the weapon change/SW together...

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    All warriors get shield wall, It just has a 5 min CD unless you spend points in the tier 2 prot talent shield mastery.

If a warrior specs safeguard and walls (with 4 set) I think most classes can take with that warrior.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

You don't want to have your poor healers deal with later hours so have them soak on of those before the 5 minutes mark. My suggestion:

1: blood dk + hunter (ams rules here + with a /cancelaura deterrence macro your hunter won't lose more damage than from clicking the button)
    2: prot pally + feral (your feral should swap to bear 2 seconds before Last Defender of Azeroth is applied or his shield wall won't be ready again. If that doesn't work he'll have to swap to bear with frenzied regen unglyphed for the second hour)
    3: boomkin + holy pally (barkskin + glyphed divine protection)
    4: blood dk + hunter
    5: prot paly + feral
    6: fury + mage (shieldwall, raidshout + iceblock)
    7: blood dk + hunter

pro: no external cooldowns needed
    con: ?

And for shield wall:

#showtooltip
    /cancelaura Recklessness
    /equipset 1H
    /cast Shield Wall

#showtooltip
    /equipset 2H
    /cast Slam

Save to equip sets with your blizzard gear manager and blank out everything except for the weapon slots, save shield + onehander as "1H" and your twohander as "2H" - when you hit the shield wall macro twice it will equip the required shield on the first click and cast shieldwall on the second and when you hit your slam button once it will swap back to your twohander* without interfering with any other gear.

* attention: removing the shield will end the shield wall immediately.
    Last edited by klausi; 02-02-2012 at 03:39 PM.

The difference in "dealing with" an hour or not is one button...the paladin(s) have the best, most repeatable cooldowns to use (actually the hunter does...but the paladins are also good)...you should use them.

Our holy paladin has no problem doing it and is far more effective at it than random nonsense like having your feral swap to bear a bunch of times on a DPS-check (though, less so these days than it was).

And barkskin definitely isn't enough to live through one with by itself...Shamanistic Rage isn't enough and it's 10% more. You need at least 40%, preferably more.

So, Pros: ?
    Cons: Boomkin dies, DPS is lowered by feral having to do a lot of bear-dancing

Hour of twilight is 300k that can't be resisted, only reduced via talents/abilities.

Boomkin has 15% regular reduction from owlform, 20% from barkskin and another 6% if specced into perseverance - that's on an equal level (if not better - not sure if it's handled additive [41%] or multiplicative [47%]) with glyphed divine protection.

A feral cat maybe only has barkskin for the second hour but swapping to bear form adds ~ 40k hitpoints and hitting ER adds another 60k buffer - that's ~ 260k hitpoints before shaman's hitpoints buff and enough to survive.

But here's an alternative that requires no bear dancing ... except for the killscreen maybe

1: blood dk + hunter
    2: prot pally + boomkin
    3: feral + holy pally
    4: blood dk + hunter
    5: prot pally + boomkin
    6: fury + mage
    7: blood dk + hunter

Ps: We don't use our healing paladin for later hours because he feels uncomfortable doing so, he has the most stressful job (pushing insane hps) and we don't want to add another burden on him. If your paladin feels confident he can do the job instead of the boomkin or take more hours.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    Boomkin has 15% regular reduction from owlform, 20% from barkskin and another 6% if specced into perseverance - that's on an equal level (if not better - not sure if it's handled additive [41%] or multiplicative [47%]) with glyphed divine protection.
    Multiplicatively, however its reciproccal in nature (0.85*0.8*0.94) so only ~36% total damage reduction, or just shy of a 192k hit.

Re: Heroic Ultraxion Soakers

I have two tanks I've done Ult on: Warrior and Deathknight. Both handle that mechanic well, but IMO the DK has the edge with AMS+(IBF or Vamp).

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    So, Pros: ?
    Cons: Boomkin dies, DPS is lowered by feral having to do a lot of bear-dancing
    Ferals only really need to shift to bear form at most twice.

Once - in the first few seconds of the fight, shift to bear form to receive thrall's buff (halves all tank CD durations, doubles effective durations)

Second - at some point near or just after the 6th hour, shift to bear form again for 15 seconds, then activate glyphed Frenzied Regen (with the 4t13 bonus; without 4t13 there's very little reason to use FR anyway). They aren't doing this as a "I must survive Hour!" reason, but rather to lighten the load on healing output by providing a buff to healing received to every other raid member.

The glyphed version is safe for the feral to shift out of bear form any time after applying Mass Regeneration; the feral won't have the benefit, but the rest of the raid will.

That said, Feral itself can survive an Hour of Twilight in two ways, personally tested by me:
    1) Obviously, Survival Instincts. 50% reduction is 50%. It's enough to safely survive, but should probably be combined with Barkskin anyway.

2) Frenzied Regen + Barkskin. Frenzied Regen increases max health of the druid, and barkskin can provide just enough protection to survive with a sliver of health. Technically, boomkin & resto's should be able to use this as well, but they probably won't have it keybound (or even aware it's possible). Note that you MUST be topped off with FR active WITH barkskin to survive, and when you do survive, you'll have somewhere between 1-5% HP left.

Also note: any feral should shift to bear form REGARDLESS to receive Thrall's buff. If only because then you have 20 second barkskin on a 30 sec cooldown, and don't need to worry about the 2nd hour you'll take (since without it, it's questionable if a 3min CD will be up).
    youtube channel (watch for boss kills): http://www.youtube.com/user/fenriradra
    last progression kill: yor'sahj (4/8 H-DS)

We are about to get into this as well. Our comp is not as stacked with viable classes.

1 - Prot Warrior
    2 - Prot Warrior
    3 - Ret Paladin
    4 - DK
    5 - Hunter
    6 - Mage
    7 - Lock
    8 - Shadow Priest
    9 - Resto Shaman
    10 - Resto Druid

We also have a Boomkin on the roster, but I'm not seeing him working for this.

It looks like we can use the x2 prot warriors, hunter, dk, and shadow priest. So we need to pull 1 more out of it. I know the mage can ice block (once) then cauterize (sketchy) for the second, but I'm looking for a more solid option for our 6th, unless I pair with the mage and have my raid wall 4pc carry over to her a bit.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

1 - Prot Warrior
    2 - Prot Warrior
    3 - Ret Paladin
    4 - DK
    5 - Hunter
    6 - Mage
    7 - Lock
    8 - Shadow Priest
    9 - Resto Shaman
    10 - Resto Druid

First team:
    Prot Warrior
    Ret Paladin

Second Team:
    Prot Warrior
    DK

Third team:
    S-priest
    Fire Mage

Fire mage Cauterize is 100% viable, they will need no cooldowns to survive. Your Prot warrior on first team can do Rallying Cry + 4piece to the Ret paladin for the first Hour then Bubble the 2nd hour.

Easy every time soaker: shadowpriest (dispersion), hunter (deterrence)
    Easy one time soaker dk (ams + ibf), ret (bubble), mage (iceblock)
    Cauterize: rather easy - just make sure your healer are aware of it

Surving a second hour without ibf is tricky for a frost dk (unholy got their raidbubble for this) with no external cooldowns.

Your first team will have to deal with up to three hours, thus either use a a "easy every time soaker" or have your tanks specc into safeguard to ease this while teaming up with the ret.

I'd run with
    1 prot/hunter
    2 prot/ret
    3 spriest/mage
    4 prot/hunter
    5 prot/dk
    6 spriest/mage
    7 prot/hunter

We also heard that smite spamming priest are hawt for this, plus our other prot warrior is really main spec DPS. So since we have to 2 heal and the priest was going shadow, we though possibly having the resto druid go hybrid tank/kitty for more DPS + frenzied regen.

Team 1
    Prot Warrior
    Ret Pally

Team 2
    Mage
    Hunter

Team 3
    DK
    Hybrid Tank/Kitty Druid

I think our DK is Unholy so he should be fine.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

We also heard that smite spamming priest are hawt for this
    Our Disc Priest reports that Smite healing is doable until the first Hour of Twilight if you 2 heal, to the 3rd hour of twilight if you 3 heal.

Yea, Smite spamming is usefull to increase raid dps, although i beleive this is less and less necissary as nerfs come to place.
    The idea is not to have him smite the entire fight, twards the end he will have to just heal or the raid will die.
    Our guild was carefull to try to have only soakers that could prevent *all* damage on the last 2 twilights (aside from the tank), because topping off dps that have weaker survive cds can be a pain for healers that are straining to spam aoe heals and keep everyone else alive. I advise saving iceblocks/bubbles for these later hours of twilight.
    Last edited by aresius; 02-05-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Someone told me today that Ice Block does not work. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zurook View Post
    Someone told me today that Ice Block does not work. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
    Deny, it definitely does work.