+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is my health pool low?

Is my health pool low?

Ok so my guild needs me to tank dragon soul for them. The only problem is I have noticed my health is low compared to other tanks. Now to my knowledge the only way to change this is to gem differently and pick up higher ilvl gear. Am I gemming for to much mastery? Or is my main goal still to hit 102.4 ctc? I am just really confused as I am seeing lots of other prot warriors with 180k+ health. Any input is welcome cuz this is driving me crazy that I can't figure this out.
    Here is my armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/laughing-skull/Dmn/advanced

Thanks in advance.

This tier you will see alot variations in healthpools as the main goal is to have 102.4% ctc and then lots of health. once you in to mostly LFR/DS gear maintaining FullCTC is not too hard and you can start swapping in some stam gems, which do rather boost the healthpool. I'm at 180k hp and my CTC is balanced around mirror and spindle so i'm losing out an easy 100 mastery there, and still have room for 3 Blue gems.

EDIT: My paladin has a similar healthpool to your warrior, though is not enchanted or CTC capped and was quite comfortably able to get past ultraxion pre nerf. post nerf you should only be limited by your and your healer's skill, your toons healthpool is fine.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 02-02-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Warriors are a little bit lower on health than their DK and Bear counterparts. Don't sweat this. If you have CTC you'll be fine.

Think of it this way.... with CTC, you never take a "full" hit. You don't have to have as much health as you aren't receiving as much damage up front.
    DK and Druid don't have CTC. Everything they have works a bit after-the-fact. They "have" to have more health for their classes to function properly.

Even then, consider.... once you start getting some tank drops FROM DS, you'll start seeing your health climb up. The stat increases you will see from new gear pieces will outstrip anything you can do with gems anyway.

So, don't sweat it too much. Just aim for CTC..... don't be afraid to use cooldowns/trinks to keep things as comfortable as you can.
    No one tanks in a void.........

Is my health pool low?

Should I be picking up a stam trinket from HoT? Or use two mastery trinkets I have enough valor I could buy the new mastery trinket and replace my dps one

Not if it drops you below CTC cap buffed. Look at my armory for confirmation of what Tengenstein said; as you gear up your health pool and mastery/avoidance will somewhat skyrocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Is my health pool low?

Alright thanks for the help everyone!

You're at 101.62% ctc raidbuffed with a flask (192k hitpoints) and 103.51% with an elixir combo (184k hitpoints).

Some suggestions:
    - get your ass into the lfr once a week and bring some friends (at least another tank who don't need the shield/boots), if possible some alts who can roll on your set tokens.
    - cloak: you're not a paladin, don't reforge your highest stat to mastery - reforge the less benefical. Reforging expertise to mastery is only 0.03% less ctc while gaining 0.43% avoidance.
    - boots: any reason you don't have picked up the BoE boots yet? They add some ctc (0.2%) and a bunch of hitpoints (+2226) as well.
    - finger2: replace this ASAP with Signet of the Resolut for valor points, adds another 0.8% ctc and some hitpoints (+1148).
    - shield: go back into the new five mans (yay! :7), Corrupted Carapace is a 0.6% ctc upgrade.

*please note* all numbers assume you're using epic gems for the ilvl 397 upgrades

Enough of the gear talk, keep two stamina trinkets around for Madness or you'll have a hard time surviving impale on the later stages.

- cloak: you're not a paladin, don't reforge your highest stat to mastery - reforge the less benefical. Reforging expertise to mastery is only 0.03% less ctc while gaining 0.43% avoidance.
    Explain how this is better if you're not already ctc capped, then explain why class made a difference?

It's a sacrifice of 0.03% ctc for a gain of 0.43% avoidance - unless you're sitting at 102.37% ctc i don't think it's a fair tradeoff.

Paladin get a LOT more ctc out of pure mastery while warrior regulary get more out of reforging from the offensive stat on "high avoid rating/low offensive rating" items. 1 mastery gem (40 rating) adds +0.33% ctc for a warrior and +0.50% ctc for a paladin, that easily adds up.

Some examples:
    VP cloak (Indefatigable Greatcloak; parry to mastery instead of exp to mastery):
    warrior: +0.03% ctc -0.43% avoidance
    paladin: +0.24% ctc -0.44% avoidance

Finger 2 (Theck's emberseal; dodge to mastery instead of hit to mastery):
    warrior: -0.02% ctc -0.39% avoidance
    paladin: +0.17% -0.39% avoidance

upgrading from crafted boots (Mirrored Boots) to 397 boe boots (Bladeshatter Treads) with epic gems:
    warrior: +0.21% ctc +0.82% avoidance
    paladin: -0.08% ctc +0.81% avoidance

For reference/check up: http://chardev.org/?profile=337089 - "Dmn" recreated as paladin

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    You're at 101.62% ctc raidbuffed with a flask (192k hitpoints) and 103.51% with an elixir combo (184k hitpoints).

Some suggestions:
    - get your ass into the lfr once a week and bring some friends (at least another tank who don't need the shield/boots), if possible some alts who can roll on your set tokens.
    - boots: any reason you don't have picked up the BoE boots yet? They add some ctc (0.2%) and a bunch of hitpoints (+2226) as well.
    - finger2: replace this ASAP with Signet of the Resolut for valor points, adds another 0.8% ctc and some hitpoints (+1148).
    - shield: go back into the new five mans (yay! :7), Corrupted Carapace is a 0.6% ctc upgrade.

*please note* all numbers assume you're using epic gems for the ilvl 397 upgrades

Enough of the gear talk, keep two stamina trinkets around for Madness or you'll have a hard time surviving impale on the later stages.
    I've been doing lfr I just really have no luck, I have been doing with 5 members of my raid team too. Also on the shield I never ever seem to get them to drop, Even in Wrath I could never have luck with them dropping but im trying!!

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    It's a sacrifice of 0.03% ctc for a gain of 0.43% avoidance - unless you're sitting at 102.37% ctc i don't think it's a fair tradeoff.
    I understand your point, but the reason I contest it is because he's under CTC to begin with, so getting the most out of overall block/dodge/parry would be ideal up to passive buffed CTC.

How can you gain 0.43% avoidance while losing 0.03% CTC? My back-of-the-hand maths says that is a net 0.4% CTC gain. Do you mean Block?

If you are having trouble surviving Impale, equip the Stay of Execution. 60k absorb of overkill damage is way more than you would gain health from even a 410 level stamina trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    How can you gain 0.43% avoidance while losing 0.03% CTC? My back-of-the-hand maths says that is a net 0.4% CTC gain. Do you mean Block?

If you are having trouble surviving Impale, equip the Stay of Execution. 60k absorb of overkill damage is way more than you would gain health from even a 410 level stamina trinket.
    I think he means gain 0.43% avoidance, lose 0.46% block chance, totalling a 0.03% CTC loss
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

and with a elixir he's at 103.51% so can afford to sose come CTC.

+ Reply to Thread