+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not sure I need an upgrade or not..

Not sure I need an upgrade or not..

Currently I am running a Dell Inspiron 570. Now granted those specs are not exactly what I have.

I have:
    Processor = Amd Athlon II x4 630 processor (4cpus) 2.8GHz
    Memory = 6gigs
    DirectX 11
    Video Card = ATI Radeon HD 5500 Series
    400 Watt power supply(I cannot be 100pct certain this is correct but is my best guess)
    Windows 7 64-bit

If there is any more information I can post to help out let me know.

I play WoW(medium settings which do me just fine, I just like seeing farther), but playing on ultra has never been something that was a must have. I play SWTOR, SC2 and LoL. I use this computer for video editing my raids, which I record using either x-fire or TGN.TV hub(they actually have a decent recording device now). I dual monitor if that makes a big difference. About all the information I can think of.

When wondering whether to upgrade or not, ask yourself this question:

Is anything broken?
    If the answer is "yes", then you should think about replacing the bit that is broken. If the answer is "no", ask yourself this question:

Does my computer do what I need it to do?
    If the answer is "yes", then you do not need to upgrade. If "no", then you need to upgrade.

Then you need to decide on a budget (with a limit that you will definitely never go over, not even if there is this really awesome thing for 20 bucks extra). That will define the upper limits of your new purchase. Only when you have done this should you ask the question:

What kind of computer should I build?

I'd say you should look at an upgrade, but for the most part you should really be getting a whole new system if you are looking for something up to date. Unfortunately most of that hardware seems obsolete, even if you have 6GB of memory, it won't work on a new motherboard unless it's DDR3 which I doubt if you are using an Athlon II X4. If you are content with AMD technology, look at the FX chips since they are considerably faster then the Phenom II chips, however dollar for dollar a Phenom II X4 Black Edition might be one of your better options if you are on a budget, though going down the Intel route the i5 2500k would also be an excellent choice as the i7 2600k is far too expensive these days.

RAM wise, 2x4GB 1600Mhz pairings are becoming really cheap these days. If you are looking at graphics cards, the AMD 6000 cards are getting pretty cheap so you can pick up something like a 6950 for a new system for a fair price.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

Well I was toying with the idea of a new system completely, then the idea of a laptop(since I am in college). Either way If I had to put a budget on it, I would say at the very max I could spend would be $750.

+ Reply to Thread