+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help me figure out this gear set.

Help me figure out this gear set.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...arion/advanced

This is Grafarion, a tank from <vodka>. I fully understand that sometimes tanks will assemble a specific set of gear to tackle a very specific progression problem. Block sets for the adds in H: Anub two years ago, for example. But this set puzzles me.

--The trinkets are obviously there to increase DPS
    --The 2-piece t12 is preserved for damage, apparently
    --However, there are mastery pieces that have a direct and better upgrade... why the t11.5 gloves and chest? Why the 359 shield?

You can get similar survivability numbers out of totally average gear. Is tank DPS on H Madness or H Spine that crucial? Or am I missing the point of this set entirely?

some high end tanks log out in messed up gear sets to prevent competing guilds from seeing what they do.

That armory link also shows him logged out in fury gear right now.

Maybe he was seeing how the pieces looked before he transmog'd them?
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

He must have very recently logged out again then. The peculiars of the tanking set are still mentioned in my post, at least, even if they're not on the armory at the moment. That said, vodka and plenty of other guilds have already cleared H DS, so I doubt it's a strat-hiding move.

My vote is still he was looking at a transmog set.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

I've logged out in gear I'm thinking about transmogging before - it sometimes looks quite different on the armory than ingame.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    some high end tanks log out in messed up gear sets to prevent competing guilds from seeing what they do.
    Really? They think Bill Belichick plays WoW.

None the pieces were transmogrified. This is the worst thread I have ever participated in on any forum and I regret creating it.

No. Like... he put on the gear that he wanted to transmog his real gear to to see what it looked like before paying all the gold to actually do the transmog. So if none of the gear WAS transmog'd, that would lend further proof to our theory.

Pretty sweet transmog set, imo.

Looks like an Ultraxion set with the T11/T12 2set bonuses. I might have picked up another cloak/bracer/shield and got the hit from those pieces with reforges instead but it doesn't look too bad to me.

-2 T11 pieces are for the setbonus
    -Shield is for the hit I guess but isn't optimal, probably didn't put that much effort in the set just to get a WoL ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Really? They think Bill Belichick plays WoW.
    No its very common thing to do. Here's a good example.
    While my guild was progressing on Heroic Spine of Deathwing we were running into issues with tank death during (or just after) the second plate. During this period our tank is taking about 300k damage per second and we need to run a constant tank save cooldown on him to keep him alive until we can start the kite on the third plate. As you can't kite during the barrel roll lest the tank flies off and we wipe.

So at this point its clear we are doing something wrong after 10 straight pulls of tank death, so we start looking at world of logs.

Over the course of a 5 minute break we have broken down every public log of every English, and Korean Guild that is or has attempted Heroic Spine of Deathwing. And our tank is taking about 1.4k, now we running and start looking at armories. Make some changes, and suddenly no tank death.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

I'm sorry, I was making a joke - it has to do with the media making a big deal about the Patriots secretly filming a NY Jets practice a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by kaen View Post
    none the pieces were transmogrified. This is the worst thread i have ever participated in on any forum and i regret creating it.
    herrrrrrrp
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Me on vodka's forums View Post
    Hey Graf, some discussion has come up about a set of tanking gear you were wearing a few nights ago on the armory.

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm17 ... irdset.jpg

I wouldn't bug you to fully explain anything, but would you be so kind as to help me understand what's going on with this set? There are just some curious choices in there and I'd like to know.

Thanks for your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graf's reply View Post
    The short version is it is a set up that is intended to do a lot of single target dps centered around shield slam and having a reasonable amount of hit/exp. One might call it a threat/dmg set but I rarely use it if ever these days. The only reason is when we are doing something easy for a speed kill like going for worlds fastest BH kill or whatever as a way to boost my dps.
    But I am certain that the non-matching color, non-matching texture, devoid-of-theme-or-any-sense-of-design with tanking rings but dps trinkets is a transmog test set. The MT and GM of one of the top raiding guilds in the US is pretty concerned about looking cool.

Greetings!

I figured I would drop by here and shed some light on this discussion.

First let me say that I don't recommend using my armory as a reference. This is because I am constantly changing what I do and wear, trying different things or ideas, and always making adjustments. Often times my armory never reflects what I use on a per encounter basis because I change my gear set-up and even spec/glyphs for every encounter(yes, even during farm).

Now as for the armory profile that is being referenced in the original post. My gear was set up to prop up my single target damage as our guild was half-heartedly trying to speed kill Alizabal. The aim was to boost my str, hit, exp, and prop up shield slam dmg. One might call this a "threat/dmg" set but I don't really use it in dragon soul. Additionally the profile for it was rather out of date.

Hopefully this helps clear it up as I don't "USUALLY" transmog my gear because I switch it around so much that it never ends up matching. ._.

-Graf

Holy crap, this is like a visit from a celebrity tank - nice to meet you Mr. Grafarion; welcome.

Hopefully this helps clear it up as I don't "USUALLY" transmog my gear because I switch it around so much that it never ends up matching. ._.
    This is what transmogging every piece to match a single set is for

Looks like we got that cleared up anyway.

+ Reply to Thread