+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice for Prot Warrior new to PvP

Advice for Prot Warrior new to PvP

I've done some searching with no luck so please forgive me if this has been covered thousands of times.

Im looking for a stat priority list for a good Prot PvP build. For instance I use the following for furry raiding.

st > hit (8%) > expertise (26) > crit > mastery > hit > haste

With my prot tanking I basically just grab as much mastery as possible.

My question is what do I go for in regard to PvP with prot spec?

Im sure I need a good deal Stam, St, and Resillience but I have not clue how Hit, Expertise, haste, crit come into play in pvp. Mastery, dodge and parry I assume are out. What about agi?

As far as prot warriors go, you want about you want Hit( 4-5 %), expertise (14-20), reforge for mastery. You pretty much gear as a dps in terms of what gemming you do. I mean it really depends on what your role will be. Are you gemming for survival as in rated bg teams? Or are you more just casual and arenas? Pretty much reforge for mastery, also hit up the youtube channel? Or hit up arena junkies they tend to have some good information. It all comes down to what kind of player you are and what are your goals.

Really? Mastery I would have never guessed it. So would you say then that the following applies?

Stam > Resilience > Mastery > str > Hit (%5) > Expertise > (20)

where does crit and Haste come into play?

Prot warrior for PvP now is pretty much done as of 4.3.2.
    With vengeance removed, there are very few classes that you will do enough damage to to be of any consequence to.

See: Fury and Arms Specs
    No one tanks in a void.........

I would guess that prot specs are still quite good for flag carrying and node defending, what with having lots of health and damage mitigation.

I play prot for survivability and fun its never been about dps for me.

Then why you list strength above everything else? You need 5% hit so your piercing howl and crucial stuns won't miss and 20 expertise for concussion blows on nasty caster but you're two days late.. sadly without vengeance you won't kill anything on your own in random bgs or arena. We're still king for carrying flags in rated bgs due to our aoe slow/stun & mobility and you just have to stack res, res and res again for that while still reforge to 5%, 20 exp and everything else into mastery for more survivability. Stamina is rather unimportant, sitting at 150k or 200k isn't as important (=33% more buffer for your healers) as 5-10% more damage reduction all the time.

I listed it in order to demonstrate the format I am used to. Im asking the community to fill in the the actual priorities. I don't actually know where STR comes into play for prot pvp.

Still, although I don't play prot for DPS I understand that it is a weakness and would assume that some measure needs to be taken to address that weakness.

+ Reply to Thread