+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Impale on Madness advice.

Impale on Madness advice.

Okay, so some background on my story. Last night was my first night tanking 10M DS on my Prot Warrior.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...is/z/advanced

We went 7/8, one-shotting the whole thing, until we made it to Madness. Now me, being a tank, thought this fight would be relatively simple from my position. All I have to do is tank swap some impales, help dps down some adds, and then tank some mobs in the last phase.

However, upon entering into the fight, I found I simply could not handle the Impales. Popping cooldowns, trying Earthen pots for the extra armor, absolutely nothing helped. I'm relatively curious if maybe I'm just bad, or if I don't completely understand the mechanic of Impale. When it's used, there's usually a short 4-5 second cast time of Impale, and then there's an actual Impale duration. I try to pop my cooldowns about halfway through the cast time of Impale, and it's not seeming to do anything. Even with shield wall up, I was taking 228k hits from the tentacle and ending the whole attempt right there because it looks like I was doing something wrong.

So basically, what I'm asking is, can anyone give me some insight into the mechanic? Maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong? For all I know, maybe I'm just undergeared for it. =/

EDIT: Our platform order is green, red, yellow, blue. I dunno if that helps at all, but just throwing it in there.
    Last edited by Savate; 01-25-2012 at 09:14 AM.

All that should be needed is Shield Wall for the Impales, first platform you can Dream and Shield Wall. After taking an Impale you get debuff for like 2min that increases Impale damage by 100%...is this the problem, you can take one then your trying to take a second on the same platform? If you are 2 tanking then one tank takes the first and the second tank takes the second, if your single tanking it then you need to be able to kill the tentacle before the second Impale.

Our warrior tank has issues on the impales on the 3rd and 4th platforms (Yellow and Blue?) I usually Hand of Sac him prior to impale then spam heals to make sure he gets topped off after initial damage.

In my raid's set up, we use a bear tank and a Prot warrior (Me) I always pick up the corruption first on each platform.
    When we first started to do this I would get completely destroyed every first impale, and after pondering over it for a bit I just assumed I was using my shield wall incorrectly, so I changed it up an started to pop shield wall 2-3 seconds before the actual impale went out.

After doing this I no longer had the issue of dying, and it worked out so that by the time we downed each limb and got to the next platform, shield wall would be ready to go again.

(We usually have 2 impales per platform)
    Last edited by Dave0290; 01-25-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Your gear looks fine, although your spec is a bit unique (not related to your problem though). I tank the first impale on each platform and haven't actually had an issue. Green platform you'd obviously have Dream available and each remaining platform I've got Shield Wall up to absorb the damage from Impale. Granted we have a Resto Shaman buffing me with the +10% increased maximum health, but I'm not coming out of Impales with 5% health.

Do you happen to have any logs available from these pulls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

FYI impales ignore armour

If you don't have the red buff (+20% health) then shield wall alone is probably not enough (although it can be quite a close thing) so 'something else as well' is a good idea/needed depending on your gear. If you do g>y>r>b then that's just the final platform, but if you are doing red earlier then every subsequent platform you'd want extra protection of some sort. I use rallying cry + shield wall on the last platform. Also note that tanks can taunt the instant the tentacle starts to cast impale - that prevents any unlucky 'impale then melee hit' gibbing.

400k (10 man) is:
    240k with shield wall
    216k in defensive stance
    194.4k with demo shout up

you should be able to get those up for 1 impale each platform. 195k buffed isn't much of a stretch for the current geared warrior. throw in priests extra damage reduction and shammies extra health and it shouldn't be a hard mechanic to survive.

Impale isn't the only damage you are taking though, so cutting it fine is far too risky to recommend. Just make sure you have something else as well as shield wall on those platforms where you don't have a red buff.

weve had this happen to our prot warrior every once in a while, we started having both our pallies bubble sac on him on the 4th platform to help and a pain suppression on 3rd (these are both couples with shield wall) to survive it. although I have seen him live through both without those gear may be an issue there

I can't see you gear since you're logged out in arms, but I would highly recommend a "cookie cutter" raid spec.

Well, I think I figured it out. I use shield wall about a second after the Impale cast starts and it gives me coverage due to it's 12 second duration, plus it gives me just enough time to have it up for each platform. I think I confirmed it wasn't a gear issue when I ran with a 1 tank/2 heals group yesterday. Didn't have the dps to pull it off sadly, but I did make it through the 4th platform's Impale, so that's promising for me. Thanks for the input, fellas.

+ Reply to Thread