+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help, my damage sucks compared to others with similar gear.

Need help, my damage (as tank) sucks compared to others with similar gear.

Hi all,
    this is the first time I have posted to a site like this asking for help, so please forgive me if I miss something out.My armory link is: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...mdall/advanced
    now, with this gear, before buffs, windwalker and trinket procs, I'm at 100.71% CTC calculated with the following macro:

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance() +5))

6 hits puts me over CTC cap, pushing block off CTC due to trinket proc.

The problem I have is that compared to similarly geared tanks, I do significantly less DPS. Whereas I usually do between 10-13k, I see others doing 15-22k.
    I do swap around seal and holy power generator depending on The fight, crusader/insight for high damage single target tanking, crusader/truth for normal single target, HotR/truth for all aoe tanking fights.

My "rotation" is pull with shield, holy power generator (HPG), Judgement, HPG, AvS if avail or HPG, Inquisition, DivPlea, SotR, judge, HPG, AvS, HPG, whichever is off CD of judge/AvS/HPG, SotR....rinse and repeat adding defensive CDs where needed. This usually allows me to get 2 SotR hits in per Inquisition.

I'm sorry but I have never used world of logs, so I can't link any other info.Any advice or general help you can give would be very much appreciated as any extra DPS I can put out is a benefit to the raid as a whole!

Thank you in advance :-)
    Last edited by Héimdall; 01-25-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: formatting & clarity

I know jack about pallies but...Consecration? It's small but it's damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

sorry, I forgot to include it, i use consecration whenever it's off CD, as well as Hammer of Wrath and, depending on the fight, Holy Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Héimdall View Post
    sorry, I forgot to include it, i use consecration whenever it's off CD, as well as Hammer of Wrath and, depending on the fight, Holy Wrath.
    Then, I am no help to you, may this bump provide you some clarity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    Maybe this guide will help you out.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ection-Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Actually you are ctc capped without any fancy proccs, you're at 105.31% raidbuffed. Don't gem for pure dodge, gem for more stamina instead.

Replace ALL yellow gems with mastery/stamina (puissant) and all blue gems with pure stamina (solid), this puts you at 208k raidbuffed, ~ 44% avoidance with dodge food and ctc cap.

And you could get a LOT more stamina altogether, start lining up your dodge and parry and reforge to mastery everywhere. With those tweaks you could get rid of the dodge trinket and grab a stamina one instead - putting you at ~ 219k raidbuffed and 39% avoidance.

---

DPS problems? Don't use Seal of Insight and use the right specc, judgements of the pure offers nothing (6% haste for a tank!?) compared to 10% more crits with crusader strike, hotr and word of glory. Get your glyphs right, hotr + truth + sotr for prime, focussed shield + crusader strike + holy wrath for major and some minors won't hurt as well (might or bok depending on druid present or not + insight + truth). Fixing those glyphs alone should give you a noticeable bump in your dps.

"rotation": hit crusader strike every time it's ready and use a filler in between starting with
    3 hopo sotr or wog > avengers shield > judgement > hammer of wrath > consecration > holy wrath

There's an option to utilise inquisition but the possibly gains are rather low, i sticked to spamming 3 hopo sotr and still pull off decent numbers

You're specced into hallowed ground thus you shouldn't have to worry out for mana problems with consecration, if you want to try guarded by the light anytime soon (it's absorb mechanic work just awesome well for ultraxion, madness or zon'ozz) you'll have check the blue bar again.

Wow, thanks! There's a lot of info there, seems a respec is on it's way. For absolute clarity, would you mind linking the spec you reccomend please? I took the 6% haste as I thought the haste would give me faster attacks and lower cool downs on CS etc, but I'm no expert (hehe, wouldn't be on the asking for helP if I were!)Thank you to everyone who replied, I have DS10 tonight, I will try and implement these changes for the raid :-)

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGMhcRddRRucbr is the standard pally build.

While haste does increase your attack speed look at what percentage of your overall damage done is White swings. It's a rather small fraction isn't it? (I hope), 6% haste is roughly a 6% increase to that damage, compare it to 10% crit (comparable to 10% damagae) increase to to abilities affected by rule of law. The CD of Crusader strike is unaffected by haste unless you spec into sanctity of battle, A deep retribution talent unavailable to to protection paladins.

aah, i see.

Thank you again for the help, it's much appreciated

I'll let you know how it goes.

ooh, the link takes me to an empty tree :S

took a base spec from EJ and used other 5 points in your suggestions....worked well, instant increase to 18k dps roughly. thank yoiu very much

I decided not to use the focused shield glyph, since i prefer to use my shield for AoE tanking, and pulling several mobs at once, but i will try it at some point and see how much difference it makes.

Thank you again for your help, very much appreciated

Ok, I believe, when calculating CTC, you treat it as though your Spine trinket will always be in full swing. This means you need to put your passive parry about 600-700 points higher than your dodge (strength buffs will make up the rest easily). And then run your ctc macro while you're hitting a dummy. Also, NEVER gem pure avoidance.

When I used Fetzie's CTC Spreadsheet you are not fully CTC capped, you miss ctc

CTC Spreadsheet for Pally's

also
    See Fetzie's Guide
    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The Protection Paladin

Use the download links in my signature for spreadsheets, the one on googledocs is out of date.

You are about 151 mastery rating above CTC cap when raid buffed (dodge food) with all 10 stacks of the trinket, so you can lose to drop some avoidance or mastery to gain some stamina. I'd start with the JC gems.

I decided not to use the focused shield glyph, since i prefer to use my shield for AoE tanking, and pulling several mobs at once, but i will try it at some point and see how much difference it makes.
    It is the best single target dps glyph we have. If you are not AoE tanking (which basically means the entirety of Dragon Soul save perhaps Spine heroic kiting slimes) you should have this glyph active.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 01-31-2012 at 04:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread