+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confusion on trinkets and avoidance.

Confusion on trinkets and avoidance.

Ok so I finally took my baby tank into RF and got a lot of good loot.
    Here she is now: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lissa/advanced

My question is with the new trinket I got ( Resolve of Undying http://www.wowhead.com/item=77978 ) after 10 stacks and just being buffed for 5 mans I'm well over 130% avoidance.
    So my question is since I'm a JC should I perhaps change my gems around a little?
    Maybe drop the JC only +67 mastery ones, and replace them with the regular +40 versions, and replace a couple of the 20 mastery/30 stam green gems that are in blue slots with the big stamina gems from JC?
    Reason I ask is that I lost a lot of health when I switched out Veil of Lies http://www.wowhead.com/item=72900 for the Resolve trinket.

Also my dodge goes way above my parry on the stacks. Should I forge out of some dodge and back into parry or just let it ride?
    Sorry for so many questions and the links. I'm just really confused now as to what to do.

Block is not avoidance. Ever. Avoidance is your cumulative chance to parry, dodge or be missed. You are not at 130% avoidance, you are at 36.07% avoidance unbuffed on your character sheet. What you have is 97.92% combat table coverage (CTC) which is the total of your avoidance and block chance. Fully stacked that trinket is at most going to provide another 4% dodge ( assuming no diminishing returns on dodge rating) leaving you a full 0.48% shy of full CTC (102.4%), which may very well be made up by buffs. Your healthpool is fine; stacking stamina pre-full CTC is not. you may be able to eek out a little less mastery fully buffed to bring your CTC down to 102.4% but probably not much, so you probably don't need to start switich out mastery for stam just yet.

Pre-Full CTC you want to keep your parry and dodge ratings equal. I know alot of people will say you want more parry was warriors have hold the line, and this is mostly true, however in terms of overall damage reduction and in coming damage stability, it is more important to maximise CTC than it is to maximise HtL uptime. Post Full CTC you want more parry than dodge rating, probably close to 30% more parry rating than dodge rating fully buffed, and including your trinkets full stacked, and windwalk's proc aveeraged over uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Pre-Full CTC you want to keep your parry and dodge ratings equal. I know alot of people will say you want more parry was warriors have hold the line, and this is mostly true, ...
    Windwalk is worth roughly 200 static dodge rating, so you'ld need to account for that (as well as the 780 from Resolve). Also, the advice for Warriors is to have parry & dodge ratings close to eachother, but favor parry (e.g. rather have 30 parry rating more than reforging 50+ of it into dodge rating)

To calculate proc trinket values without simming, I generally follow the rule of 1 PPM (so for your Veil of Lies: 1149 DoR * 20s / 60s = 383 DoR). The uptime is usually slightly higher becuase it only has a 45s CD, but due to diminishing returns, a proc gives less avoidance than the same rating averaged out as static. If you need more specific values, see my spreadsheet thread in sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Putting your character into chardev you have 104,31% CTC with trinket stacked, motw, battleshout and dodgefood. Just convert the extra CTC into stamina with gems or a stamina trinket and slowly get better gear with valorpoints or raiddrops. I'm at 200k hp unbuffed with 397 itemlevel using fire of the deep & indomitable pride as trinkets.

As for parry:dodge ratio I'm keeping them fairly close together now to maximize stamina but ~1.2 ratio is still optimal for damage reduction.
    Last edited by Bigbad; 01-26-2012 at 03:18 AM.

Post Full CTC you want more parry than dodge rating, probably close to 30% more parry rating than dodge rating fully buffed, and including your trinkets full stacked, and windwalk's proc aveeraged over uptime.
    No more than 15-20% fully buffed, the better your gear the lower. DRs eat up HtL benefits very quickly in DS gear.

+ Reply to Thread