+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ultraxion help

Ultraxion help

During this encounter i seem to run into a timing issue with shield wall not being up for hour of twilights 4-6, and thusly get nuked in the proccess any thoughts?

Did you glyph it? If so, remove it. Are you and the other tank switching who soaks every hour?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I think Warriors are actaully at the bottom of the list of tanks you'd want soaking HOT's. Not saying it's impossible or your riad is bad for doing it, but other tanks just have a easier time with it. Pally's have 2 alternating CD's they can use (I think, not sure exactly) DK's can save runes to pop a solid bloodsheild with Bone Sheild still up and AMS and not even have to touch their IBF, and i'm not sure about druids but my friend says they're eaqually as OP for it as DK's are.

That said, I'm not sure exactly how/if a Warrior can solo all the HOT's for ultrax, obviously using sheild wall. Maybe timing a SB so the magic reduction is active (from talent, idr name of). And then there's using last stand with Enr Regen. I think the best way to do it with a warrior involved would be to alternate taking the HOT's.

So, what's your raid Strat? What's your composition look like? Could we bother you for a Battle.net link just to make sure there isn't something really easy we can help you with on your gear (not likely, but you never know)

It's not helpful to post if you don't know what you are talking about.

A warrior can comfortably eat every HOT. Shield Wall (unglyphed) for one, last stand + shield block (spell block) + enraged regen for the other. I prefer to start with the last stand+shield block combo to get into the rotation but it really doesn't matter which comes first. Just make sure that you hold back on shield block, as you need the shorter 'spell block' component to be up when HOT actually fires.

^This, and if shield block isn't constantly up there's something wrong. Last Defender of Azeroth makes it possible.
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    It's not helpful to post if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I didn't say it was impossible, I just know that making sure Spell Block is up (It lasts half as long as Shield block i believe, this is what i've observed from watching my buff timers, i could easily be mistaken) can be a little tricky if you're going with a 100% SB uptime. And I went on to guess at how it's done, but overall, i was still correct: things would be better if alternating HOT's. NOT because Warriors are bad, I play one, I'm not dissing my class. But because it really isn't necessary to put unneeded stress on healers. Say for example you're alternating, well, you just got allowed to use multiple CD's for an HOT, making it so healers don't have to worry so much about your health pool when you get back in.

We use a Warrior/DK combo now and before it was Warrior/Pally (me) combo - we found it was just easier to have the DK or the Pally soak all the HoTs; there was no question of the Pally or DK having cooldowns up.

When I was tanking this on my pally I had - Divine Protection (glyphed); Guaridan of Ancient Kings and Ardent Defender ; so something was always up no matter what:

I've tanked it in a PuG on my DK and it's just a matter of Vamp Blood and IBF or AMS being up (pop Vamp Blood and AMS or IBR and you're fine) - no sense relying on an Death Strike at just the right time when the other mechanics are always there. Plus when you get out if, you Death Strike and Rune Tap you're at full health no healer mana needed.

The most important thing for a Protection Warrior on Ultraxion is Shield Mastery effect of Shield Block which reduces spell damage taken. However, this effect is not doubled in duration, only Shield Block is. So you have to time it such that you are using your Shield Block for every Hour of Twilight as it is being cast since you only have 6 seconds of the reduced spell damage. Shield Block alone should be sufficient to survive Hour of Twilight. Warriors are not the strongest class at reducing Hour of Twilight however and it may simply be better for you to use your other tank to soak it instead. For example, a Protection Warrior has -10% (Defensive Stance), -20% (Shield Mastery) for a net effect of 32% spell damage reduction available every Hour of Twilight where as a Feral Druid takes -18% (King of the Jungle), -6% (Perseverance), -20% (Barkskin) for a net effect of 50.096% spell damage reduction available every Hour of Twilight.

The most important thing to remember as a Warrior though is Shield Block's duration is doubled... Shield Mastery's effect is not.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I don't see what's so tough about getting Spell block up every Hour of Twilight. HoT has a 45 second CD. SB has a 15 second CD, Hot has a 5 second cast time, Spell block has a 6 second duration. If you uses SB on CD, Hour of twilight will hit during every third Spell block. Alternate shield wall and LS+ER and you should be fine.

And i'm not sure that maths is all that right; Isn't it closer to A 37% cumulative damage reduction for the bear and 28% for the warrior?

My bad, I did bonus effects instead of reductions, head was on some different math at the time. You're right. 28% reduction for Warrior, 37% for Druid available for every Hour of Twilight.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I don't see what's so tough about getting Spell block up every Hour of Twilight. HoT has a 45 second CD. SB has a 15 second CD, Hot has a 5 second cast time, Spell block has a 6 second duration. If you uses SB on CD, Hour of twilight will hit during every third Spell block. Alternate shield wall and LS+ER and you should be fine.

And i'm not sure that maths is all that right; Isn't it closer to A 37% cumulative damage reduction for the bear and 28% for the warrior?
    It's pretty much: Doable VS "Stupid Easy". As a RL, take your pick of which of the two you'd choose to ensure the smoothest run possible. With the exception of a situation of a player very focused, and good at his class (grats, describing you), most RL's will pick the stupidly easy option, cause random shit happens, and when it does, the guy who has to think about more than one thing already and then do something else has a larger chance to screw up.

+ Reply to Thread