Thread: Ultraxion paladin Tank Help Please

Ultraxion paladin Tank Help Please

Hey,

So I finally got round to doing the new tier of raids with my guild and after slicing through the Siege of Wyrmrest bosses we/I hit a brick wall at Ultraxion. They've done it before but me being tank managed to keep dieing and thus wiping. Now, if we ignore the strange issue I had with DBM being out of synch with my in game action (which made things doubly tough) this is what I was asked to do:

Hour of Twilight: both tanks click Heroic Will every time
    Fadling Light: Taunt off the other tank and click Heroic Will before the 4/5 second timer runs out
    ^Rinse and repeat

I'm sure I saw a video saying tanks didn't HW on HoT but I'm not certain and I haven't had a chance to check again. Plus the majority of the raid group had done it before so I wasn't going to question their tactics when I was late to the party

I play Paladin Tank so any help/ideas/pointing out whats gone wrong would be appreciated.

Muchos Gracias

"Technically"

Is this 10 or 25 man difficulty? Are you dying to Ultraxion's melee damage or the Hour of Twilight/Fading Light mechanics? You didn't really say exactly what was killing you and causing the wipe, so pardon me while I elaborate and explain mechanics that you may already understand.

You can chain your cooldowns throughout the encounter thanks to the buff that Thrall provides, so you've got lots of survival to employ here. You really should not be dying to normal melee hits, they are the least of your concern.

Your wording of how you deal with Fading Light sounds a bit odd, I'm assuming you did not type it out properly. The Fading Light applies a debuff to Ultraxion's target (and some other DPS, but lets ignore them for this discussion) which will kill you outright if you do not use Heroic Will AT THE CORRECT TIME. One mistake some folks make is clicking Heroic Will too early when Fading Light is applied to them, you need to make sure that you are in the "normal realm" as Fading Light is reaching zero. If your latency is good you can wait until Fading Light has 1-2 seconds left before clicking Heroic Will, if your latency is crap you'll want to play it safer and click around 3-4 seconds. Heroic Will lasts for 5 seconds, so anytime after 4.9 seconds is good, technically.

So, the Fading Light exchange should look like this.
    1. Tank A has threat on Ultraxion and receives Fading Light, the Fading Light debuff starts at around 10 seconds (I could be wrong on the exact number, its more than 5 seconds though).
    2. Tank B taunts Ultraxion and begins tanking.
    3. Tank A watches his Fading Light debuff and clicks Heroic Will after Fading Light has less than 5 seconds remaining. If Tank A uses Heroic Will at 6 seconds, he will return to the Twilight Realm with the Fading Light debuff and die. Technically if you're really fast you could click Heroic Will again and pop out of the Twilight Realm to save yourself.
    4. Tank A has successfully removed Fading Light, he hangs around until Tank B receives Fading Light and taunts, returning to step 1.
    How your guild is handling Hour of Twilight is different than my own, but we're in 10 man. The tank uses a cooldown to absorb Hour of Twilight while the rest of the raid uses Heroic Will to GTFO. But its not the only way to do it, if you've got a Rogue that is using Cloak of Shadows and glyphed Feint that works perfectly well also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Sorry, yeah I was rather basic!

We're on 10man normal. The others have done it, I was just having issues with when to pop Heroic Will due-in part-to the strange dbm thing and my apparent overuse of dbm

I understand fading light for sure, it just doesnt seem obvious on my screen when a tank has it (one of my dbm issues).

The other thing that was killing me was the Hour of Twilight, my timers were off but it's good to know I can bubble this instead of clicking the button if need be.

Thanks for your help

First issue is this isn't LRF both tanks can't press Heroic Will for Hour of Twilight; one tank has to stand in and eat it (or a rogue cloaking) on 10 man - don't know how many stand in on 25 man. Because you're cooldowns reset in 1/2 the time as a pally you can basically eat all the HoT's - Guaridan Spirit and glyphed Divine Protection and Ardent Defender. We use a DK who eats all the HoT's and there are a joke with a DK; he comes out at almost full health.

For Fading light, if you have DBM set up for it, it will show across the screen who has Fading Light on them and scream at you when you have it. The Fading light will come after you get the warning "Ultraxtion becomes more unstable".

Also, do not trust the DBM countdown, while the voice is real sexy, I find it's about 2 second off, I watch the debuff timer on the screen up in the right corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    First issue is this isn't LRF both tanks can't press Heroic Will for Hour of Twilight; one tank has to stand in and eat it (or a rogue cloaking) on 10 man - don't know how many stand in on 25 man. Because you're cooldowns reset in 1/2 the time as a pally you can basically eat all the HoT's - Guaridan Spirit and glyphed Divine Protection and Ardent Defender. We use a DK who eats all the HoT's and there are a joke with a DK; he comes out at almost full health.

For Fading light, if you have DBM set up for it, it will show across the screen who has Fading Light on them and scream at you when you have it. The Fading light will come after you get the warning "Ultraxtion becomes more unstable".

Also, do not trust the DBM countdown, while the voice is real sexy, I find it's about 2 second off, I watch the debuff timer on the screen up in the right corner.
    Power auras. The DBM countdown IS weirdly inaccurate occasionally, but a bigass power aura with a bigass timer in the middle of it is pretty hard to miss, and never wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    Power auras. The DBM countdown IS weirdly inaccurate occasionally, but a bigass power aura with a bigass timer in the middle of it is pretty hard to miss, and never wrong.
    Pft, use the Force; oh, wait, wrong game.

thanks a lot guys, we/I did it last night

Gratz;

Huzzah! Keep up the good work and let us know if we can assist again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

I macroed up Holy Shield and Divine protection to my crusader strike for this fight since the buff from thrall means you can pretty much keep holy shield up ALL the time and DP up most of the time. Then at HoT, i use AD for the 1st one and Guardian of Ancient Kings for the next, rotating for each one while my OT taunts for the fading light......this works a treat (as long as i remember to replace the ultraxion crusader strike with the normal one for warmaster hehe).

Macroing Holy Shield for this fight is fine, but with DP glyphed it's what I use to eat every HoT. If I even use GotAK it's typically towards the end of the fight and only then it's to ease the burden on the healers. Also, I typically sit on 3 holy power prior to HoT and as soon as I eat a HoT I follow it up with a Word of Glory, which normally puts me at or close to full health.

Also, be sure to use Divine Guardian to help your healers. In a typical fight I'm casting DG at least 4 times...