+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Marmot - SOPA vs The Internet

The Weekly Marmot - SOPA vs The Internet

Do your part! Read up on SOPA and PIPA at http://www.americancensorship.org
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Great vid lore. We can stop SOPA.

yo dawg, heard you like acronyms, so we put some acronyms in your acronyms so you can acronym while you acronym.

Stopping SOPA and PIPA now is only the first step. If more isn't done to prevent this type of legislation in the future, we will forever be fighting it. Every time it will become more insidious, and harder to defeat. Not only do we need to tell our Senators and Representatives that we oppose SOPA and PIPA, we need to remind them that we will NEVER support legislation of this kind. As much as I dislike legislation, it will be needed to protect us, the people who use and shape the internet, those of us who have made friends on it, those of us who have made it our home, and those of us who have made it our livelihood. We need to tell our Congressmen and Congresswomen that we need legislation to prevent these types of shenanigans from ever occurring again. I know, I know. Like I said I hate legislation for the sake of it, but sometimes we need to fight pyroblasts with pyroblasts, backstabs with backstabs, lacerates with lacerates, except without the implied violence.

Remember, we can help defeat them now, but always be on wary.

The funny thing is that it does even less to pirating then even lore says it does. As a Professional Website Developer who knows inside and out how http requests are made and what not, I can 100% say it will do nothing to stop pirating at all. As I understand the bill they can not actually "shut down websites" as in turn off the servers that are not in the us. its a Domain Name System (DNS) filtering process, or block. which will mean that sites like <insert actual pirating/torrent website> will just have to register a new DNS entry, the actual www.website.com part, and point their servers to it, or if that gets annoying just type in something like 74.125.224.72, and tell the internet registrars to go suck it all together. And they cant really stop torrenting traffic through means like internet connection shaping or something like that because of the legal and technical limitations that have been pressed against ISP for doing such, for example Comcast, this is kinda a grey area that people might argue on but eh. This is mostly because the same way a pirate illegally obtains material is the same way say, Blizzard Entertainment, or any mmo company really, handles patching. That it through P2P (peer to peer) sharing or torrenting methods. So it will pretty much have 0 effect on true piracy of content. It might stop mom and pop from getting some mp3 on mediafire, rapidshare, blah blah but it wont stop people who actually know what they are doing. It wont even impact them in the slightest, at most it will be a slight inconvenience but even then not really. And that is still "small game" pirating of fairly "ez to get material", if you start talking about limiting access to like websites or servers that are connected through the undernet, usenet, or IRC channels. YEAH GOOD LUCK BUDDY.

Also the parties that this bill is suppose to effect would not even need to create new ways of accessing even IF it did anything to hinder them. This is because out of "ALL" of the accessable content on the internet legal or illegal, about i would say 30% of it, if that is accessible through a DNS registered domain. That is in actual GB's of content not number of actual websites.

Pretty much its 100% as lore states. the only people who stand to loose from this are the legitimate people who are doing nothing wrong in a free market capitalist environment.

Before anyone asks no I will not go into deeper details about any of these subjects as the legality of the subject manner would be questionable.

TL;DR: 100% useless, does absolutely nothing to stop pirating in any way, shape, or form. Just effs over the "Normal consumer of the internet"
    Last edited by vqmethyl; 01-18-2012 at 04:18 AM.

Should do what Google did here on Tankspot. Huge Black Bar of censorship over the tankspot logo.

You mention Activision alot, im hoping your using them as an example, i know Total Biscuit says that they are against, where as EA (the dicks) are for it :O

but yes, this defo needs to get stopped, i live in the UK and all i can say is, why oh why do our brothers from accross the water have to go and ruin a good thing, god damn you america :P

are there any online patitions going? anything i can go to and just give my digital signature too?

last thing, dont forget, fonts are copyrighted? they gonna stop all websites i rekon :P unless ofc you have bought a bit of paper saying you own said font :P

Laters.....STOP SOPA AND PIPA
    [url=http://www.enjin.com][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-wo

Well, Lore, since you are much better at explaining things than I could hope to, I linked to this video in my guild's MotD. I find it wrong that this bill seems like they think the US owns the internet, and if it passes it will go much farther around the world.

I'm not sure but i quess you didnt mention it (might) shuts down facebook and all similar sites.
    Thanks for spreading the word!

We are with you Lore.

Just watched the podcast Lore and when my guildies in the US wake up, it will be all over our website (I live in Australia).

We had the same thing try and pass here and as you advised in your podcast, speak up and tell your Senator/Representative. There was such an uproar here in Australia, the government backed down and the act was tossed into the fiery depths of Hell.

I know for a fact, most of the Australian online users go to the US sites, not only for gaming but also for shopping, meetings, information and general browsing (checking out US tourist sites). If the SOPA/PIPA act was to pass, the economy of the most US websites/companies would crash within days.

So as I said before, when my guild wakes up (and I am sleeping), they will see the new background on the website and wonder what is going on. I will also throw in the website you advised to read about and tell them to read for themselves.

Good to see that no matter where we are on this planet, we can still make a change....hopefully for the better....

Nerf SOPA !

Whats up internet? We need to have a talk.

Best weekly marmot ever. Not to say that normal weekly marmot are not good I just love how you did this. With the lights off and just the no sopa pipa sign in the back and the hood/cap makes you are hiding from sopa. I love it

NO CAT VIDEOS ZZZZOMG! SHIT JUST GOT REAL!
    Last edited by Peace88; 01-18-2012 at 05:00 AM.

If someone want the background pic
    {
    Last edited by K-rloz; 01-18-2012 at 05:00 AM.

I wish i could do something, but since im not from America and i don't have any relatives/friends there i can't do anything. I will tell my guild mates about it . In rest Best of lack with those fuckers

Well spoken Lore. I wish I could do more than sign petitions. Fuck SOPA/PIPA from Sweden.

Please note that this thread will be heavily moderated. This is a SOPA/PIPA discussion and how it is damaging to sites such as Tankspot and other webpages that you would visit daily. Further discussions about other political ideas will be removed. Stick to the topic. This is your first and final warning about the issue.

Don't push it.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

The crazy part is how they deal with non-US websites. Its the equlivant of saying "weed is legal in amsterdam, so your not allowed to go there". Stright up communist government.

People need to wake up and start riots in the streets....
    Reev: So, do I macro /dance into Shield Slam now? Raysere: Yes, I hear it increases your DPS Gold balance gear quality attractiveness to the opposite gender considerably

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    More like people need to wake up and READ, theres a HUGE thing in my towns newspapper about how SOPA was denied and has to be rewritten.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Funniest thing to me.. is that if this goes through.. it would make perfect sense for every big game company(and every other creative media) to move outside of U.S. which would lead to massive loss of taxes..

Just saying funny how greed allways leads to a fall..

+ Reply to Thread