+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: i think i'm noob Prot pally help!

i think i'm noob Prot pally help!

Go for the tol barad trinket first it is amazing one of the best CD's u can ever have.

Hey guys... Thanks for all the help and advise... But if other tanks are pulling aggro off me should i b Worried. Especially if like i just taunted off them... Like i ds i have a guildie that seems to hold aggro off me... My tant will only last a mere 4 to 5 seconds and den aggro is back on him.,. It worries me in fights like ultra and warmaster... What about CDs? When should i pop them and which ones to use? I still struggling with my keybinds but its alot better compared to a month ago... Playing a hunter has helped alot... I realised the only problem i have is i get very panicky during certain fights.... Am i the only one?Another thing is... Movement keys... I know i use up down and strafe left and right... But i'm worried to set the 2 other keys that are now open with something like a cd or a bubble.... Do i actually have to do it to get it into my head that those are not movement keys anymore? Im sorry if my questions sound stupid... Just that my head can b pretty stuborn and it does make learning a new keybind technic harder...

Taunt swapping can be a matter of finesse especially early on when there isn't a whole load of threat on the boss, good tanks will give the other tank a bit of a break on taunt swaps and ease off on their TPS to give the other tank a chance to gain aggro, usually by either not pushing their buttons or swapping to a less threaty stance (battle stance, Unholy presence, or cancelling RF). Bad tanks will continue to go hell for leather like threat isn't a concern and try to rip it off you like them clearing stacks doesn't matter. However it could just be that you aren't producing the burst you need to. Don't feel you have to dump all your holy power right away; If you have a swap coming up try to make sure that the frst ability you hit the boss with after a taunt is a ShotR with 3 Holy power. If you are putting out as much burst as you can after your taunt consider ways you can lower the other tanks threat. Hand of Sacrafice before the taunt will give you a slight increase in vengeneance, Hand of Salvation just after will lower their threat making it harder for them to snatch the boss back, and lastly Hand of protection, most tanks will not have a cancel aura button for this so will have to manually remove this form themselves, if they realise you done it. However it is enitrely possible that you may need to save HoP and HoSac for fight mechanics.

You should pop CDs when you need to Most fights have a point where there is ausually a tank burst (think psychic drain on Zon'ozz) you want to have a CD up for as many of those as you can. the only Exception to this is Avenging Wrath, generally you'll only want to have that up when you need to do some extra damage (like after a taunt sawap) or during a burn phase (zon'ozz's black blood phase or the like). Holy shield you should use on CD whenever you ahve someithing meleeing you. Divine Protection you should use freely unless you glyph it in which case you want to use it as a strateginc anti magic CD, GAK you generally want to save to use strategically, Ardent Defender, again strategically however this is the best CD to use in those "ARG I AM ABOUT TO DIE GOD PLEASE SAVE ME!" moments. Divine Shield should only be used when you don't mind losing aggro (impales) or for forcing taunt swaps.

Not everyone gets panicky, there are some cold blooded barstards out there, but panicing is a natural part of being out of your comfort zone. the best way to deal with it is preperation, before the fight, familiarise yourself with the encounter, and how you can deal with the various ways it can go wrong. Then work out which ones you can prevent and which ones are beyond your control. do not concern yourself with the ones beyond your control. Occaisionally DPS Die, generally its their own fault. occaisionally Tanks die, generally its the healers fault., occaisionaly healers die, maybe thats your fault, maybe not.

You don't have to bind those keys to something else, however it will help to not have them bound to movment anymore. You need to break the linkin your head that says those keys move you. So either bind them to something new or just unbind them so they don't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Not everyone gets panicky, there are some cold blooded barstards out there,
    That or we're just apeshit crazy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    QFT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    I'll go with this

Stuff going down bad, adrenaline rush, be crazy awesome, all is good

I trained myself off turning with the arrow keys by unbinding them, my arrow block (up/left/down/right) does nothing in WoW.

wow thanks.... i guess i just have to get used to the stress of tanking... and clean up my ui a bit... thank you very much

i think i'm noob Prot pally help!

Stephen King has a book series called the gunslinger. Something he said in respect to quick draw shooting I think applies to tanking. Forgive me if the quote is not exact

Slow is calm
    Calm is controlled
    Controlled is fast

A perfect example of this is taunts. You are better offt taking a second or two longer to make sure you have the right mob targeted when you taunt than having taunt on cd for the next 8 seconds and the mob still on the healer. Think about all the ways being calm helps. Picture you just taking your time and casually controlling the situation. Your threat is FIVE TIMES your damage done. Even against 40k dps, you only need 8k. Tanking MOST of the time is not the frenetic race to push buttons harder/faster/longer to win the stock car race. Appreciate the difference to help stay calm.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

+ Reply to Thread