+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: i think i'm noob Prot pally help!

i think i'm noob Prot pally help!

hello everyone,

i believe i'm not the first to post this msg and i think i'm really in the OMFG QUIT WOW section of the game.... the only reason i'm here is cause my il379 mage aint cutting it and i decided to do what i did best in tbc and wotlk which was tanking. so i jumped back on my pally hoping to make something good out of wow rather then being called a D**k all the time...

i'm a il378 prot pally on barthilas. @90%block cap now with all stats goin to block cap and nothing else. gemed mastery/parry(where needed). enchanted mastery/dodge. and i just hit 85 abt 2 weeks ago.. my guildies say i'm pretty well geared. but i have 1 big problem... AGGRO! i've joined LFR and realised i'm barely able to hold aggro. i need to constantly taunt just to keep up. i worry its the fact that i'm having a very fixed rotation... can i please get some advise on how i can b a better tank....

how do i know if its my rotation thats the problem and not my gear? if its my rotation, how should i go about correcting it?

First, go read my guide (click on the huge image in my signature). If you have any questions after reading the guide, I'll be right here. There is even a segment dedicated to the rotation/priority

fetzie,

thanks, i've gone and read your post... its really informative and i now realise its my rotation thats the problem... i've got a question, and the problem with that is my keybindings... do u have a link t a vid or post about how i can improve on my key bindings? like make things much easier to reach and how i can improve my overall play? i'm willing to throw away everything i've learnt in playing wow to learn from scratch... like using modifiers like Alt, Ctrl and shift.. stuff like that....

This is how my keybinds are set up. You want to be able to reach everything without having to stretch.

I use the following buttons, with shift and control modifiers.

1-5, R, F, C, V, B, G, T, shift+Q, shift+E, mouse buttons.

I move the none-bound things onto binds depending on the encounter.

I definitely looked at that and thought "WHY WOULD YOU PUT WINGS ON THE INTERRUPT KEY?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Burpz View Post
    but i have 1 big problem... AGGRO! i've joined LFR and realised i'm barely able to hold aggro. i need to constantly taunt just to keep up. i worry its the fact that i'm having a very fixed rotation... can i please get some advise on how i can b a better tank....

how do i know if its my rotation thats the problem and not my gear? if its my rotation, how should i go about correcting it?
    I'm a little shocked here. You're having aggro issues? You did turn on Righteous Fury right? I'm just really surprised as they buffed the heck out of the various tank aggro mechanisms......
    No one tanks in a void.........

You rebound Tab?!

Why use tab targetting? if I want to target the right mob I don't want to cycle through ten others before I find it. I just right-click its nameplate.

I'm used to being a warrior tank, I tab round every GCD or so when AoEing.

Yeah, you see...I don't really have to do that If I see a nameplate go yellow, I simply right-click it and it turns green again 2 seconds later. Plus, I like having a nice big button to dispel stuff.

I don't really have to dispel stuff :P its a habit from wrath, if a name plate goes yellow i click it, but prior to that i'm Tab AoEing.

I keybind F1-F7, `-7, Q-T and V & B, with a few extra Mous buttons.

what do i do abt my hit problems? been hitting ?? dummies and cant seem to land my crusader strikes to gen HoPo...

You live with it. Tanks sometimes miss, thats life.

Wouldnt my threat b affected by the misses??? And what kind of dos should I b pulling to b safe? If that even something I should b worried abt.... And thanks to everyone whose give their 2cents....

Yes it will affect yor threat, but with a proper rotation as per described in Fetzie's guide you should easily be able to pull 10k dps (probably capping out around 15kdps). With Righteous Fury you do 5x your dps as threat so if you're pulling 10k dps, your pulling 50k TPS, which means your DPS need to be pulling in excess of 50k DPS to pull off you. If you need Hit or expertise (beyond what Glyph of SoT grants) to hold aggro either you or your DPS are doing something very wrong with your ability usage.

Go to a target dummy, and practice the rotation. Seal on Insight so you don't run OOM, don't actually hit holy wrath of cons, just leave a gap where they would be.

crusader strike, judgement, crusader strike, avenger's shield, crusader strike, shield of the righteous, crusader strike, judgement, crusader strike, holy wrath, crusader strike, shield of the righteous and so on.

Hit the target dummy until you can do the rotation without thinking about which button to press next.

i will try that for today and see how things go... dont have the ball to do heroics till i master that rotation.. another thing is would someone b so nice as to look up my gear and let me know if i'm doin anything wrong with it...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...s/Burpz/simple

Gear looks ok at a first glance, but you really need to re-read the talents and glyphs part of the guide. Gemming, enchanting items (don't forget the jc gems). Get a mastery trinket (first boss in firelands, 1650 valor points or 10 days of tol'barad daily quests).

no offense fetzie but i have read that part oft he guide just havent gotten around to compare and adjust my stuff... and yes i'm almost there to getting my mastery trink... i dont know about running firelands.... raiders on my server only want the best in their grp... kinda y i need to be perfect b4 i can move on to raiding.... unless i go as a dps and roll on tank gear... but thats gonna take forever...

+ Reply to Thread