+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Austere Or Earthsiege Meta?

Austere Or Earthsiege Meta?

Currently using the Earthsiege but I'm noticing some shield tanks using the Austere. I'm passive CTC, assuming full raid buffs, & replacing Mastery gems w/ Stam whilst maintaining passive CTC. Here's my armory, just in case:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Anteoch/simple

Googled the metas & so far as I've suspected the Eternal's ever so slightly better for me, but am wanting some other opinions & input on which of the 2 to choose. Thx in advance!

http://bacondev.com/tankmeta/

Usually the eternal is better for over all damage reduction, the austere has it's uses if you're mainly dying to non-blockable Physical attacks, though few of those currently exist in DS encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    though few of those currently exist in DS encounters.
    Morchok - stomp
    Hagara - assault
    Madness - impale

But i guess we could argue in that way about some crazy incoming magical damage as well ( Effulgent Shadowspirit Diamond ).

Indeed we could, and if your dying to those unblockables and are willing to swap meta's on a fight by fight you probably should swap them out, it might be worth a shot.

Indeed we could, and if your dying to those unblockables and are willing to swap meta's on a fight by fight you probably should swap them out, it might be worth a shot.
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

dreador...
    best
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

I'm more than likely going to switch back to austere full time for the simple fact that in normal situations you are talking about a 0.1% difference or less. However austere helps with all the effects that can't be blocked and do large portions of damage.

It is not 0.1, its 0.2. It is about 1k damage difference per hit. And only gets better with gear.

Quote Originally Posted by kopcap View Post
    It is not 0.1, its 0.2. It is about 1k damage difference per hit. And only gets better with gear.
    Where's your data? The calculator linked above doesn't give those results.

Hit a boss. Replace the gem. Hit a boss. Compare.

And it does if you give it correct input.

Austere Or Earthsiege Meta?

So for arguments sake if you wanted to min/max for bosses like unsleeping you would want to use the spell dmg reduction meta, the armour increase one for the three above and the block for the rest. That's either a lot of changing gems or 3 of the same helm.
    Oh well LFM LFR pally helm tokens reserved.

It appears be reduced by armor. It seems confusing but the debuff you get from impale is before the actual impale itself, so it actually does twice the damage on the tooltip... minus armor and cooldowns.

The tooltip says it does 400k for me. I don't believe the Impale debuff is applied prior to the first impale and here's why. According to this log I got hit for 97200 by the first one. I appear to on have the ancestral fortitude and Ysera's Dream as external damage reductions, and only shieldwall as my own. I managed to be in zerkerstance for the first one becuase i'm that fail. but at least our DK tank had Scarlet fever up

So 400k reduced;
    40% by Shield Wall is 240k
    10 % further by Ancesteal Fortitude is 216k
    50% by Ysera's Dream is 108k
    10% by Scarlet Fever 97.2k

Rather a tidy sum if we assume the tooltip is correct and if impale by passes armour. My amour which is 42.6k, or ~60% physical damage reduction, so if we work back wards and reverse the previous statements and then factor in the reduction from armour at a flat 60% Impale would have to hit for 1million damage. That's 200K more base damage than I can account for assuming the debuff is applied before the damage.

I'm sticking with the Eternal.

EDIT: On second thought, from that kill nearly 74% of the damage is magic, the effulgent suddenly doesn't seem so bad a choice. Stomp almost certainly isn't affected by armour (dunno bout hagara's Assault) making the austeree less than ideal for about every fight but Hagara for a shield tank. Madness and Yor'Sahj are magic heavy, the rest are melee (blockable) heavy
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 01-15-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Teng, you are in zerker stance on that impale.

Bloody hell i am aswell. Which is good as i totally forgot about the 10% physical damage Debuff the DK puts up on the tentacle too. Good for the maths anyway, not so good for for overall damage taken. Very Herp.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 01-15-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Why do you say Stomp almost certainly isn't effected by armor, it's physical damage and if it wasn't effected by armor it would be doing l+200k damage to the tank and the closest person. But I do agree that 2% armor probably isn't going to make a big difference.

Because the damage of stomp does not increase in line with decrease in armour as you gain stacks of Crush armour. with 100% of my armour and 6 peeps stacked a stomp hits me for 80-90k. with only 20% of my armour and 6 peeps to share it it still hits me for 80-90K.

I wouldn't be suprised if most boss special attacks that can't be blocked, dodged, or parryed also ignore armour.

+ Reply to Thread