Thread: Single Tanking Ultraxion 10 man ?

Single Tanking Ultraxion 10 man ?

Hi there
    After working for a while on ultraxion 10 man last night me (Pala tank) and my offtank (Also pala tank), decided to try to arrange it so that i would soak all hour of twillights and he would taunt just before and take all the fading lights, which seemed to work really well for us anyway.
    Due to buff many soak abilities such as ardent defender and goak were down to 90 sec cooldown meaning i could almost alternate those two alone for the 45 sec between each hour of twillight

Anyway this reminded me that once for argalon in baradin hold, where we were short a tank a holy paladin healer would quickly put up righteous fury and taunt argalon just in time to make sure he got hit by his debuff.

My question is, would it be possible and has anyone tried this to have a dps perhaps a ret paladin or dk, put up righteous fury and quickly taunt Ultraxion a sec or two before he cast Fading lights (as far as i know fading lights does no direct damage) - thereby allowing this fight to be single tanked ?

Crashtest / Spinebreaker-eu

I usually solotank Ultraxion in LFR since the other tanks can be kinda clueless. Wait till 1 second left on fading light use the button and taunt when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post
    I usually solotank Ultraxion in LFR since the other tanks can be kinda clueless. Wait till 1 second left on fading light use the button and taunt when you get back.
    I don't think that would work in a real raid, at least not without accidents. Fading light wipes your threat and prevents threat generation. The first time you do that, your top DPS will get agro and there would be a big risk that they'd be pulling off you after your taunt fixate expired. You can normally get away with it in LFR, but there are often dps casualties. In normal modes, with the boss hitting harder and DPS worth a salt, I think you'd have that many more dead melee.

OPs suggestion should work, if you can find someone crit immune with a taunt button, or if you want to take the risk of a crit. I don't know how well http://www.wowhead.com/spell=85510 works on bosses, otherwise a feral dps druid with the crit immunity talent would be next best.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    I don't think that would work in a real raid, at least not without accidents.
    I can make it work without accidents. Its all about timing as close to the end of fading light as you're comfortable with and taunting asap when you come back. Done it once on normal when the other tank died cause of a dc. Can even take all the hours on normal alternating shieldblock and shieldwall.

You can even deceide if you like the next person on omen or not /evul grin

Do you mean las stand and shieldwall? Shieldblock has its CD reduced below it's duration so, rage permitting you can have it up 100% of the fight.

Meh, really bad practice to try to single tank it. It might technically be possible (on normal...it most assuredly is not on heroic) but it seems like a recipe for wipes to stupid things.

You're better off dropping a healer than a tank if you're having DPS problems. The dps you gain from a healer going dps should be twice as much as you gain with a tank switching and you're less apt to die to lag/bad timing/etc.

The magic damage reduction portion of shield block doesn't have increased duration in this fight. So it's helpful to hold your shield block until twilight for the extra 20% magic reduction. Normally I take the first fading light so I make sure to save shield block when I come out to ensure it will be up during twilight.

It's possible to do it for a round or 2 maybe 3 but there's a lot of extra mental stress with the perfect timing and any lag spike from the tank or any other mistake will most likely cause a wipe. The risk is just not worth it in normals, and if you're considering this method because of dps issues, you just need to get better dps.

Quote Originally Posted by uglie View Post
    if you're considering this method because of dps issues, you just need to get better dps.
    Don't forget that a tank adds decent dps on his own thanks to vengeance, every tank should be capable of pulling 15k (assuming full raidbuffs and a 378+ weapon). Swapping one of them for a subpar dps adds what, 10k? It's normal mode Ultraxion we're talking about, a giant training dummy with 155k rdps required. Raiding in 378/384/391/397+ gear you should be able to pull off 25k (average!) on a fight without movement, only interrupting your rotation ~ 8-10 times for activating the heroic will button. If not you should start researching the class forums (again?), logging for further tweaks and improving your play in general.

Just taking a look at a random 6 minutes kill from WoL: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/8qbhg...?s=4470&e=4830
    Shadow and Afflock both lack dot uptime in some deparment and neither lock nor hunter did reapply their 5 minute debuffs (curse of elements & hunter's mark, ouch!). Warrior didn't shatter once and if they'd let the paladin start tanking both tanks should pull off better combined dps (thanks to vigilance). With some minor tweaks (especially on the warlock) should see some major dps increasement and not only for that one fight in particular for all raiding content. You want to cure the sniff, not handing out hankies as workarounds.