Thread: Advice on H Yorsahj as a prot pally.

Advice on H Yorsahj as a prot pally.

So my guild is working on Yorsahj and we dont have a blood DK, and we decided i should tank it. And its been murder. Granted last night was our first night attempting the boss, so we were clunky on many mechanics not quite tanking related, but its already plain to see that i need more healing then the purple ooze allows.
    We rarely get to the third ooze fase, and on certain ooze setups i absolutely need to Loh or ill die, which doesent seem good strat since if we come up with the same setup twice im screwed.
    Ive glyphed for Word of glory and even tried swapping to Seal of Insight, glyphed divine protection for the magic dot, but its still pretty overwhelming. We are aware that most guilds have downed this with a blood DK, but we did find a guild that did it with a prot pally and got encouraged by the thought that it is possible.
    Wanted to see if any prot paladins in here tanked this and have any tips. Maybe a different kill priority on oozes? (we were trying with the priority given in the 10man fat boss guide - comes down to usualy killing yellow, on occasion we take green down and on one set up black):
    Our current kill list:
    G- green, Y-yellow, R - red, Bl - Blue, Bk - black, P - purple
    G Y Bk R - we kill green - we stack at his but, very high raid damage
    Bl P G Y - we kill yellow - ranged/heals spread 4 yrds
    Bl Bk P Y - We kill yellow - our cat dps taunts off me for the first 2 stacks so i dont get to high
    P R Y Bk - we kill yellow - we all stack at his butt
    G R Bl Bk - We kill green - we all stack at his butt
    P G Bk Bl - We kill black - ranged/heals spread 4 yrds
    I cant see how to fit in killing purple without significant damage increases to the raid from having yellow or green up (making me doubt it would be healable).
    We are scared stiff of letting me explode with 5 stacks, so healers are really holding back on purples (not sure if its viable to just try to heal everyone up and let me explode), or if maybe our aoe dps is lacking and black adds/void is going down too slow...
    Im quite sure im using cds, wogging myself, health potion, etc, adequately, but if someone has particular insight its also welcome.
    In short im pretty lost as to what we could improve on to get progressing and could use tips, either for my tanking or the raid strategy/preformance in general.
    thanks
    Last edited by aresius; 01-05-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Can we get an armory link? Are you using resistance+mastery elixirs or just stamina flasks? What healers are you using? I think killing the purple in some situations is possible, for example when you got BL/BK/P/Y, but you gotta time those mana CDs and actual healing CDs right.

Also, if your healers are amazing, green + yellow will be possible to be healed through. And by the way, I'm pretty sure that killing purple is absolutely viable at the P/G/BK/BL combo. But again, you will need healing CDs.

Personally, I attempted tanking it at the first week the heroics were available and last week by using the same priority you are using at the moment. To be honest, if you are on the ball with your CDs, your healers are very good and you also have a bit of luck, it's doable. However, we decided to tank it with a DK since it simplifies it so much.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Aresius/simple
    No comments on my sloppy transmog. I dont have a WoL to give you, we didint log that night.
    Im using stam flasks, we were healing with a holy pally and a resto shammy, but healer composition is iffy every week, the holy pally is our stable healer, we often have our feral druid go resto (its actualy his MS).
    I dont imagine that on P/G/BK/BL comb killing purp is possible because green would force a spread, but spreading out makes killing adds from black (doubled by yellow) take longer, though if you know for a fact it is well try it.
    Our attempts werent alweys complete disaster, we got to the third ooze spawn a couple of times. But a few combinations were straightout wipes (Bl P G Y and G R Bl Bk if im not mistaken. Maybe it was P G Bk Bl instead of the last one, dont really remember). Just dont want to depend on luck for getting this down, or depend as little as possible.
    Its also worth note that we are pretty melee heavy. We have 2 regular melee (a dk and a rogue), our warr tank goes arms , and our resto druid goes cat, leaving us with a mage and a lock as ranged. Because of this im alweys bringing the boss under the mana void to dps it down (sometimes complicates a bit with some ranged getting hit harder by red).
    Last edited by aresius; 01-05-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: engrish

I've taken a look at your armory and I have a few suggestions that might improve your survivability. First off, drop the stamina flask. Use Elixir of the Master + the elixir for +90 to all resistances. If I'm not mistaken that's 12% less magic damage from all sources. That's pretty huge, especially in a fight where magic damage taken is your biggest enemy. You may argue that you are gonna lose a lot of stamina if you do that. Not really, don't forget that you will have 225 extra mastery to gem out of, and into stamina to compensate.

Also, I just remembered about a trinket that is gonna surely be helpful as well, the Baradin reputation one. This gives mastery and +400 resistance on use. Also a very good tool for magic resistance. All in all, I reforge with a sort of different mentality than you I believe. I use two mastery trinkets + the mastery elixir, and that's good to get my CTC cap covered. I then gem purely into avoidance and stamina and end up with something like this:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...cando/advanced I know I'm slightly ahead of you gear wise, but I manage to squeeze out almost 2% more parry and dodge. And since blocking is useless on Ooze, more avoidance helps also.

Now regarding the ooze combinations, no don't take my word for it. I was just speculating since as I said we used your kill order for our kill. But if you continue dying, mess around with the oozes, maybe you'll find a specific combination that works for you. However, about the green+black thingie, don't forget that if you spread the minimum range, you can still be quite close for some cleaves and most aoe spells.
    Last edited by Valaras; 01-06-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling

If you have Sindragosa's Flawless Fang then that would be another ten seconds of further 30% magical reduction.

You sure that's 30%? If I understand Whitetooth's Combat Ratting's post on the EJ forums resists have DR now. If you using 90 resist elixir plus the 130 resist aura 239 would be around 15% which still seems pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagezero View Post
    You sure that's 30%? If I understand Whitetooth's Combat Ratting's post on the EJ forums resists have DR now. If you using 90 resist elixir plus the 130 resist aura 239 would be around 15% which still seems pretty good.
    Resistance have DR, as you get more resistance it takes more resistance to resist more damage.

90+130 = 220 which gives you between 25% and 30% mage resistance
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

I've been wondering about this one: "G Y Bk R - we kill green - we stack at his but, very high raid damage"

Having Yellow up means you get 2 rounds of add spawns, as well as the high damage from a rapid fire red. What I'm wondering is if there is some smart way of healing through a Green + Red combo if you killed yellow instead? I'm picturing some kind of 'spread but close to boss' thing, coupled with raid cooldowns. We tried that combo in normal mode for the achi yesterday but lost a few in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    Resistance have DR, as you get more resistance it takes more resistance to resist more damage.

90+130 = 220 which gives you between 25% and 30% mage resistance
    I was trying to say with the base 220 resist the 239 added by the trinket is going to make the trinket more like +15% not +30%.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    I've been wondering about this one: "G Y Bk R - we kill green - we stack at his but, very high raid damage"

Having Yellow up means you get 2 rounds of add spawns, as well as the high damage from a rapid fire red. What I'm wondering is if there is some smart way of healing through a Green + Red combo if you killed yellow instead? I'm picturing some kind of 'spread but close to boss' thing, coupled with raid cooldowns. We tried that combo in normal mode for the achi yesterday but lost a few in the process.
    Blow Bloodlust and use a few CDs, if a UH DK drops AMZ as soona s you stack it will completely eat the first red dmg that goes out.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledknight View Post
    Blow Bloodlust and use a few CDs, if a UH DK drops AMZ as soona s you stack it will completely eat the first red dmg that goes out.
    Coming back to this: we are still struggling in 25 man with the G Y Bk R combo. We experimented with killing Black, but weren't at the time managing to heal through it. We have mostly been killing Green, but then struggling with the 2nd round of adds. Very often those adds still being around at the start of the next phase becomes unmanageable.

I thinking there are probably 2 options: brute force healing (kill black or yellow and then cooldown through the high damage) or some smart way of handling the second round of add spawns. Any suggestions welcome.

I don't know if that's different for 25m but on 10m you basically just kill yellow if it's there because it requires the most healing. Green primes some targets (5 on 10m) and only hits them for the rest of the phase (four times over 25s), have everyone spread out (not to far and use raid cooldowns for the first round of burst) to see who's primed and move the ones ignored to the middle so you only have to worry about your primed targets.

G/R/Bk/Y combo is a bitch. We (10m, so dunno how applicable this is) kill Green and stack up. When the phase actually starts we blow lust and basically every healing cooldown we have (shadow Divine Hymn, feral Tranq, healer CDs, personal DR CDs, etc) and just man through it. We have pretty decent AoE but the adds are up at the start of the next one (since they come pretty late), but they die off fairly quickly after that (mostly before the next phase really starts in earnest)...we have to stand around a bit near the boss while the next oozes spawn (a few seconds) so that we can get all our diseases/flame shocks/whatever it is fire mages do spread on to them before we go, but killing the oozes is rarely a problem even then.

I've done 10 man and it seems to be a breeze compared to 25 man. The tuning feels very different. I don't know if it's the ratio of adds to dps players, the amount of health the adds have, or the number of adds (compared to effective cleave/aoe mechanics), but black seems much more harsh in 25 than 10. They've barely finished spawning the 2nd round by the time the next ooze spawns.

If I recall correctly, that also happens in 10man ("They've barely finished spawning the 2nd round by the time the next ooze spawns"), and was one of the biggest reasons we decided to go for yellow instead of green on this particular combination. I understand green and red is quite unmanageable in 25man, so my guess is you'll likely just have to deal with double black adds when this combination comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    If you have Sindragosa's Flawless Fang then that would be another ten seconds of further 30% magical reduction.
    elixer+motw+priest buff+mobi is a rough 50% damage reduction, but adding the trinket from icc in you only get an extra 5% due to it being so heavy in diminishing returns

seems not to be worth it, when plate tanks can have a stam trinket and beat tanks can through in a stam or a dps trinket

I don't think you'd use both trinkets at the same time, but rather chain them one after another.

We killed 25 man on Sunday. I stand by my assessment that 25 and 10 is really very different. In the end, we went for a strat that only ever killed either yellow or green, and muscled through cleaving the adds. We only had 1 combo which had double adds, which I setup in the announcer addon as SUPER MEGA LAME, and which we used heroism for and special dps plans (like more actual AOE than cleave on the first set, mobile AOEs like bladestorm saved for the 2nd round of adds, etc.

We worked on this for about an hour last night and I haven't even uploaded the logs since they are sure to be embarrassing. We just got our collective asses kicked. But it was our probe the heroics night, so we took a look at Haggra too and tonight we'll look at Ultra to decide what to focus on next week.

Anyway, the adds and the purple just beat the crap out of us. We used our warrior and not our DK to tank - that will change. The adds just lived way too long - the little bastards hit hard like 35k a shot. We went to two healing and, frankly the healing isn't that horrible to do, but we kept blowing people up with the purple, since the adds were just beating the hell out of everyone or searing blood would smack some people. We did make some progress, so if this is our focus next week we should get close. I do like seeing the progression on the fights as we learn and get the rhythm to the fight and healing down.

The nice part about heroic is when we put it back to normal, it was just really, really, trivial.

For purple (25 man) we found it useful for healers to focus on an assigned group. Keep everyone in your group above 100k hp and outside of that help babysit the tanks. That allows more control for the purple debuff.

We've only recently been putting a lot of work into this boss though and are working through the kinks. Black + yellow is brutal though just cause their are SO many adds up when the next ooze spawns.

From a tanking standpoint the biggest help was when we changed the taunt swap so the first tank takes 2 stacks, second tank takes 3, and first tank taunts back. Any cooldown 3 minutes or less can be used every other set so very active cooldown usage for this fight is a good thing... basically rotating 2 teams of cooldowns for every phase hugely reduces healing needed.

On 10man, we usually have 3 or 4 of our DPS assigned to killing the ooze, but on the R G Blk Y combo (MEGA LAME, definitely agree), we have everybody stay in and AoE the adds, then when the adds are at about 25% hp, EVERYBODY switches to the next ooze. It's cutting it pretty close, but makes it much easier to heal.