+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Learning to Keybind/MouseTurn, need some tips

Learning to Keybind/MouseTurn, need some tips

I've been away from the game for about a year, but I wanted to come back and take a shot at downing Deathwing. I figured my time off was a great way to break my old clicking/keyboardturning habits. I'm having a couple issues...

1) How can I most efficiently use the mouse for turning? I have a 5 button mouse (2 thumb buttons on the side and wheel button). I just can't figure out a configuration to handle forward/back strafe left/right that seems to work for me. I tried using the side buttons for forward/back and the mouse wheel for strafe, but the mouse doesn't seem to work for that function. I spin the wheel and nothing happens. Is there a setting in the default interface that I need to adjust? Or perhaps someone might suggest a better configuration?

2) I'm getting the hang of using all of my keybinds for my abilities/rotations. But I still find myself staring at the action bar so I'm not pounding on keys that are still on cooldown. I'm guessing a simple addon would fix this problem. Any suggestions?

My main is a Prot/Fury Warrior, in case anyone has class-specific advice.
    Thanks for taking the time to read and/or reply. I know once I find the right set up it will just take some time and effort on my part to really get it down.

Mouse turning is simply the default function of right clicking the WorldFrame to enable camera/character angle control. You don't need to do all your movement by the mouse though that is an option if you like. What is the key is that you are turning with the mouse because you can turn immeasurably faster than simply turning your character with left and right arrows or A and D keys. You are trying to do everything with your mouse but the key feature is the turning aspect and camera control (the mouse does this more efficiently than the keyboard because it can make large movements very quickly). It is still perfectly fine to use keyboard keys to do the actual movement of foward, back, strafe and even slow turn (if appropriate).
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

What I do for strafing is I hold down the right mouse button, then use a and d to strafe, when you have the right mouse button down a and d turn from "turn" to "strafe" and with the mouse you can then kind of angle where you are strafing too, far more precisely and accurately than with the keyboard alone.

If you press both mouse buttons down it will move you forward and then your mouse moves you on the screen.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I unbound the "turn left" and "turn right" actions, was amazing how fast I learned to turn with the mouse when I literally could not keyboard turn

or rebind a and d to strafe left and strafe right so you can still use q e as hotkeys!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

A trick I like for strafing is that my mouse wheel has an input for pushing it side to side. This works great for strafing for me.

+ Reply to Thread