+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Halp! Warr Tank - Heroic Hagara 10

Halp! Warr Tank - Heroic Hagara 10

I'm a warrior tank, single tanking this. My problem is focused attack. I have Shield Wall on a 2 min CD and Pain Suppression from our Priest on a 3 min CD. One of those on there own will do the job, problem is they won't be up every time.

Ive checked out some timings and found that focused attack comes every 16 seconds. You get 2 off the pull, and 3 between each special phase. Ive found I can stay on the outside and let her come to me after a special phase and totally negate the first one.

So basically I have 2 to eat each phase and on the Pull.

The problem is timing. Because lightning phases are shorter and ice phases are longer there's no way to say use PS on the first and SW on the second every time and call it a day.

Ive picked up the absorb/dodge trinket from Firelands rep and paired it with the Fire of the Deep dodge on use and shield block and survived. But the Absorb/Dodge FL trink is a 2 min CD. So again lining things up is complicated.
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 01-03-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

If you have a pally healer you want him to taunt hagara and you taunt him back as focused assault happens. Your cooldowns are best for when hagara DR's the taunt (for reasons we can't even explain).
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

I beleive you can interviene to someone (or heroic leap) on every other focused assault, diminishing greatly the incoming damage as she walks for a part of the assault. Needs some timing, making sure you dont turn your back in the process, someone to interviene to, etc, but i think its one of the most viable paths if a healer taunting is not a option.

Won't recommend tanking through it on a warrior, just taunt her back and forth. Either use a (healing) paladin or a ranged druid (switching to bear, an owl or resto will both work) for it. Or go dps and have your feral/dk tank it, their mastery (damage absorb) + superior armor & passive damage reduction is regulary enough to survive it.

Diminishing returns on taunt ("taunt immune"):
    First: Taunting on 1st, 2nd
    Second: Taunting on 1st, 3rd - using shield wall on 2nd (due to your taunter might end up in ice grave)
    Third: Taunting on 1st, 3rd - using external cooldown + last stand on 2nd
    Fourth: see second but shouldn't happen due to enrage
    Last edited by klausi; 01-03-2012 at 04:04 AM.

NO NO NO! Every time you see focused attack coming up, strafe away. You get hit for a few seconds, but then, ur fine. Or as stated above, HL away. Or make an intervene macro to a hunter (guaranteed to be away from the boss, and clicking somebody to intervene=time wasted.)

Point: You shouldn't ever have to eat a focused assault. (there may be mechanics on heroic I'm not aware of that make this impractical, if so, ignore above statement.)

Hagara chases you on heroic while doing Focused Assault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Quote Originally Posted by outbackjack View Post
    Hagara chases you on heroic while doing Focused Assault.
    Oh.... that does complicate things.

You can heroic leap away and negate most of it thought. Its just a DPS loss to you're raid to do so unless you have no melee. Since the enrage is tight you need her to be stationary as much as possible if you have melee, plus the ice lances need to be soaked and rotated through people so running all over the place makes that hard.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Halp! Warr Tank - Heroic Hagara 10

Just leap backwards, those focused assault are like stonecore flayer's "flay" spell, just that hagara rotates this time, but not moving.

This is what i do as a tank warr:
    Intervene -> Heroic Leap -> defensive trinket -> wall / last stand

In these orders. So simply put, use any of these spells that has shorter cds.

One more thing, no matter what spell u use, keep out of hagara's reach when she cast that. Wall / last stand / trinket isnt necessary, since u'll be tanking her attacks like 2 or 3 times, and negate the rest, idk bout heroic thou.

As was said above, in Heroic she follows you when she does Focused Assault, it's not like the flayer's in Stonecore, that's why he's asking for help.

Hi.
    I'm a feral tank soloing hagara heroic.
    I dont know if this will help you as I'm not into warriors very much and dont know your cds by heart and what else you have to work with. But if possible you can translate cds into your own or in worst case it might help someone else :P

I eat all the focused assaults and we rarely have an issue with this.
    I usually do something like this:
    A second into her casting/channeling I use frenzy glyphed, by using it a second in it will last until the 2:nd assault is cast and finished.
    Next time we come back to her I use barkskin only on the first one
    the second one I use survival instinct. The reason I wait with the survival until the second one is because at that point we will get two people tombed and it might be a healer or we might have out of sight isuess for a sec or two if its handled porly. Either way its the strongest cd and I feel this is the best way to make good use of it + using frenzy in the start will make it be up sooner again.
    the third time around when we come back I will only have barkskin to work with so I usually eat the majority there without cds, if I ever dip really low we have a priest with a guardian wich I let him use at his own judgment. Reasoning for that is that I'm a feral that gives shit about dodge I'm in a ten man guild and there mastery is my strongest after agi, with my savage defense up most of the time I can absorb most of the incomming dmg. It is however not something I can control 100% and therefor instead of having a guardian set on a specific time we use it if I get unlucky.
    Once frenzy is up again its rinse and repeat.

Our setup consist of 1 tank 3 healers and rest dps. We dont find the enrage being an issue with 3 healers so we go the safe way.

PLEASE NOTE: I have not personally tanked this boss, but I have killed it in heroic and am also a warrior tank as my primary role & spec.

GENERAL:
    In order to tilt things in your favor for planning your CDs through the encounter, you should know that you can "prime" the boss to start with a particular intermission phase first.

- Before the pull, the enchant on the boss' weapons will indicate what the first intermission phase will be.
    - If you want Ice Phase first and the boss is showing lightning, you can have a rogue/priest/hunter pull the boss with a vanish/feign/fade to reset her, or have someone pull the boss and get one-shot to reset her while everyone else stands back and salutes the martyr.

The boss will reset with Ice or Lightning weapon enchants at random, so you may have to fake-pull again. The odds are pretty good that you'll get the phase you want sooner than later

The REASON you may want a certain phase first is so you can plan a static cooldown rotation that you can follow every time, favoring longer cooldowns first.

COOLDOWN SPECIFIC PLANNING
    Aside from the pull, you get 1min of pure DPS time on the boss before she jumps to the middle and starts a lightning or ice phase. The only variable here is the length of time spent in the special phase before you start the next 1min timer. Let's assume you spend 30s in Lightning, and 1min in Ice (probably being a bit generous, but so you get the idea).

1) Pain Suppression
    30s: <Ice Phase>
    2) Shield Wall
    3) Shield Block + Dodge Trink
    2:30s: <Lightning Phase>
    4) Last Stand + Enraged Regeneration
    5) Shield Block + Absorb Trink
    4:00: <Ice Phase>
    6) Pain Suppression
    7) Shield Block + Dodge Trink
    6:00s: <Lightning Phase>
    8) Shield Wall
    9) Shield Block + Absorb Trink
    7:30: <Ice Phase>
    --- boss enrage ---

To be quite honest, you may even be able to use your Dodge trink on every one, and use the Absorb one simply as a CD to help the healers. You could potentially also use a Stamina trinket, perhaps Indomitable Pride, and then switch the order of major & minor CDs to give it the best chance to proc without something like Shield Wall being up.
    there are no problems, just sometimes reactions.

Pretty sure you can't dodge/block Focused Assault...based on our logs, anyway.

Ahh! Well alrighty then.

If the DPS is there then leap away at will. That, or find another external CD and roll it into the CD rotation.
    there are no problems, just sometimes reactions.

Don't forget barrier disc priests can use it like a tank cooldown
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Or spirit link totem! (People have shaman right? Right guys? Guys?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    Or spirit link totem! (People have shaman right? Right guys? Guys?)
    *Leethaxor raises his eyebrow. Then shakes his head laughing.*

I'm a prot war having trouble w. the Focussed Assaults aswell on 10 man heroic, mainly because we wanna save the 4p SW for the lightning phase.
    What i noticed is that FA assualt can't be blocked and registers as physical attacks, meaning shield block is completely useless on it and ultimately makes our mastery a joke.

What i'm wondering, is if anyone has had any practice using 2xAvoidance trinkets vs. 2xstam trinkets?
    I'm pretty nicely geared - 99.07% CTC using 2xstam trinkets and Souldrinker - so gear isn't an issue for me. But i went with 2xStam trinkets and allthough it did cut it sometimes, it seems our 2 healers - priest+pala - struggled alot. And I was wondering if i'd be better of using the avoidance.

Thought about Leaping away from her aswell, since that apparently works for 1 FA, but the loss in raid dps just seems too big.

Use 3 healers and use shieldwall/painsup/shieldwall for every tomb+assault combo. We just taunt back and forth, i don't see how you want to survive assault on a reliable base without a cooldown. Looking through our logs assault hits for almost as much as ALL her regular melee attacks combined and that's with our taunt tactic, you also can't avoid it tough (it's considered a cast) and with almost 50k damage per assault (attack twice a second) no warrior/paladin can surive that without rotating cooldown our having all three healers only focussing on him for the entire period, burning lot's of mana.

If you can bring druid/dk and if you can't either play the taunt game or do some crazy movement actions with leap/intervene/lifegrip.

Yeah, we resorted to using 3 healers eventually in 10man hc, and it went alot smoother, now we're just a bit concerned about enrage timer but thats micromanagement of dps'ers.

It just sorta pains me that such an important statistic as the paladin/warrior mastery is completely useless on such a fight and we're left at such a big disadvantage compared to the other tank classes.

+ Reply to Thread